google.com wants to know your location (prompt)

Peanutbutter_N_Jelly

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
For the past couple of days every time I go to google.com I receive this prompt

964141001_z9yvD-M.jpg

This happens using the native browser or using Dolphin browser. All my location settings are set to allow sites to use my location (in the phone options and all browser options). I get the prompt both when I am logged into google and when I am logged out. I've even checked my google account settings... "save recent locations" is set as ON and "allow use of device location" is set to YES. No matter what combination of options I select within the prompt, it comes back every time I go to google.com
I've rebooted and even pulled out the battery and nothing changes.

Anyone have any idea why this started happening and how to fix it?

Peanutbutter_N_Jelly

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I've tried clearing the caches and data but it doesn't stop the prompt from coming up. I usually only turn on gps when I need it but having it on or off doesn't change this issue either.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That way when. u search say Walmart it will also show u the Walmart near your current location. its a nice a feature.

Peanutbutter_N_Jelly

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Yup, it's rooted but it has been for a while now so I don't think this issue is related to that. Stock ROM too btw. I haven't gotten into loading new ROMs yet.

That way when. u search say Walmart it will also show u the Walmart near your current location. its a nice a feature.
I know. And while I agree that it's a nice feature... having to accept the prompt EVERY SINGLE TIME you wanna google something is sorta a pain in the *** :p

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I remember getting that prompt the first time I opened the browser, but not since. (I declined) Curious if clearing the Cache fixes it.

Blah

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Where it says "Acquiring location..." it will change to "<Your City> Near Me Now"

If you click the Near Me Now link it will let you see near by ATMs, bars, restaurants, etc.

Peanutbutter_N_Jelly

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Curious if clearing the Cache fixes it.
Clearing the cache doesn't fix it.

Everyone who is describing why google "wants to know your location", that's not what I was asking in my original post. I know why I'm given the option to do this and it's a feature that I like and use all the time.
The problem is that neither the native web browser or the Dolphin browser are remembering which option is chosen and everytime I google something again I get the same prompt asking if I wanna allow google to share my location or not.
I posted about this HERE on android forums and other peeps that are having the same issue have narrowed it down to the latest Dolphin HD update. I'm gonna try a Nand restore tomorrow to an earlier version of Dolphin and see if it fixes it for me

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Clearing the cache and history is what causes it, not what fixes it.

I know this because I've cleared the cache and history on the native browser a few times, and every time I do, it will come back and ask me the next time I go to the browser. I have google as the home page.

I am unsure if actually turning off the phone and turning back on has a similar effect. I don't use the dolphin browser, but I've played with it, and I know there is a "clear history and cache on exit" thing.

Maybe this helps?

Peanutbutter_N_Jelly

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
So I've resolved this problem on my phone.

tpc, clearing the cache may very well cause the prompt to repeat on each google visit when using the native browser but that wasn't really my concern since I use Dolphin HD as my default.

The latest update to Dolphin HD was the cause of this prompt to repeat itself every time I went to google. I restored to a previous version of it through Titanium Backup and wallah, problem solved.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and suggestions!

SteelTait

May 13, 2013
Visit site
For anyone else. I just found another way. Go into jetpacks settings, -> Privacy and Personal Data and set enable location to off.

This worked for me :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootje