Google contacts sync

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Over the weekend, I noticed that my Google account pulled all of my contacts (saved on my device) into my Google account. Long story short, I had to move the contacts back to the phone, then quickly disable contacts sync in my Google account. I was hoping that Google would essentially copy the contacts, not remove them. Thoughts?

unique9876

Apr 26, 2022
Visit site
Google account sync pulled device contacts into Google account. Had to move contacts back to phone and disable sync. Expected Google to copy contacts, not remove. Suggestions: 1) Re-enable contacts sync for backup. 2) Manually import contacts to Google account. 3) Use contact backup app for separate backups. Review device settings for contact and sync management.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Google account sync pulled device contacts into Google account. Had to move contacts back to phone and disable sync. Expected Google to copy contacts, not remove. Suggestions: 1) Re-enable contacts sync for backup. 2) Manually import contacts to Google account. 3) Use contact backup app for separate backups. Review device settings for contact and sync management.
I never turned sync back on. I manually imported contacts to that account and will do the same for any new contacts that come along. Yes.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Native app
I would normally ask which phone, because some manufacturers have their own "native" contacts app. Like Samsung. They have their own stock app. Then there is Google's own Contacts app, which some phones do use as the "native" app.

But, it seems something is going on more recently that is specific to Google accounts...

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I would normally ask which phone, because some manufacturers have their own "native" contacts app. Like Samsung. They have their own stock app. Then there is Google's own Contacts app, which some phones do use as the "native" app.

But, it seems something is going on more recently that is specific to Google accounts...

Yeah, I saw that too. fwiw...S22U, and I figured it was some type of "disagreement" with the Native and Google apps...problem solved (sort of) by turning off Google contacts sync. I can do what I need manually 👍