Google Lens not in Camera app?

harbinger007

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
I just discovered that I am unable to find Lens in the Camera app. I've used this extensively to translate when traveling internationally and while studying a foreign language and found it handy to select from the Camera app on my P6P but now on the P8P I either open it up through Translate (an extra step) or opening up the Lens app separately (not on my home screen). I guess I'll add Lens to my home screen but am curious why this has been changed. Maybe it's not used by others as much as me. Oh, and I use it to help identify an object as well. Not enough for me to not love my P8P but a bit annoying.

Reactions: Chex313

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I just discovered that I am unable to find Lens in the Camera app. I've used this extensively to translate when traveling internationally and while studying a foreign language and found it handy to select from the Camera app on my P6P but now on the P8P I either open it up through Translate (an extra step) or opening up the Lens app separately (not on my home screen). I guess I'll add Lens to my home screen but am curious why this has been changed. Maybe it's not used by others as much as me. Oh, and I use it to help identify an object as well. Not enough for me to not love my P8P but a bit annoying.
What about tapping the Google lens icon in the Google search bar? Is that not what you're looking for?

Reactions: harbinger007

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Lens was never in the camera app. You can download the lens app from play store or as suggested above.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
You guys are talking about this in camera settings? I just checked my pixel 6 and 8pro and that's all there is. Never a dedicated button in the camera app per say.
9268a5cd623c7ff8074da5293bad2f85.jpg

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Now, once you take the picture and open it in the cameras gallery you have an option to use lens.
2b0fe04d0895b9e3db16671664d9f8cd.jpg

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, Lens is gone from the camera app. I just pointed my camera to some Spanish words and held down on the viewfinder and got a pop up at the top, "Lens is now in the searchbar" or something to that effect. And that was with Lens suggestions on in the camera settings. The camera app will still ID and provide a link for barcodes/QR codes.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I never noticed it in the camera app. I use it tons. I always would take a pic and then lens it.

One of the more interesting was identifying a Bufflehead duck. The only one I have seen in PA in 60 years.

It seems fastest to say "Hey Google Open Lens" which brings up the camera and then lens.

Reactions: harbinger007

harbinger007

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
Yeah, Lens is gone from the camera app. I just pointed my camera to some Spanish words and held down on the viewfinder and got a pop up at the top, "Lens is now in the searchbar" or something to that effect. And that was with Lens suggestions on in the camera settings. The camera app will still ID and provide a link for barcodes/QR codes.
Thanks for pointing that out, I had not noticed that Lens was in the search bar, that is an important feature for me and even more convenient than in the Camera app. I feel silly now that I had added Lens to my home screen, duh.

Reactions: Ben_70

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting discussion, thanks for clueing me in on this change. I don't really like it, but I'm guessing Google is trying to separate Lens from the Camera app, and instead associate it more with Google Search. It'd be nice if there were a Quick Settings tile for Lens -- I'm going to send feedback about this.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000