Google Location Services Status Bar Icon

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Background:
My Pixel 3 XL & Essential PH-1 are both on Android 9 Pie and my NVIDIA Shield K1 is running Android 7.1. All three are enrolled in the Google app beta program. All three devices have the same issue.

Issue/Observation:
For the past few days I have noticed that the Google Location Services icon appears in the status bar everytime I unlock the device. The icon eventually goes away, but I think this behavior is weird. In the past, the icon would only appear when an app requiring location services was launched/used and go away when the app was closed. I don't use Google Discovery and don't have any feeds so I am curious why this is happening now. Could it be related to the "At A Glance" widget? I don't believe this is a "problem", but I am interested if anyone else is experiencing this behavior.

TIA

Rugish Dapeca

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
According to the Android Police article referenced above, the phone is showing the Location icon whenever you tap the Home button, even on the Stock Android launcher. Happy to say it does not happen for me at all. Running Pie on an Essential PH-1 here with Location service enabled. So it's likely not as invasive a bug as originally thought.