News Google made a mistake with YouTube Premium

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When is my grandfathered $7.99 Google Play Music subscription going away? I thought that all accounts were getting screwed over transferred to the $13.99 model, but mine is still at $8 a month.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
When is my grandfathered $7.99 Google Play Music subscription going away? I thought that all accounts were getting screwed over transferred to the $13.99 model, but mine is still at $8 a month.
I thought they did too. Maybe it was just bundled accounts? I had family YT and YTP for $9.99 up until last year when the price skyrocketed.

Now I'm enjoying Deezer with HiFi for the family much better alternative anyway.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
On desktop: AdBlock extension
On android: [Mod redacted]
[Mod redacted]

Account softbanned. It freezes on every video at an arbitrary time, typically first 60 secs (others have reported this too) and you can't get it going again.

Created a second account, that one got full banned.

So I wouldn't link an account that you rely on for emails, made tons of purchases or finances.

Last edited by a moderator:

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi all! A couple of points of clarification.
1. I meant to say that my coworker found that when he streamed local music files on YT Music, it lagged for him to the point that it wasn't convenient, not that he couldn't do it. Perhaps that issue has been fixed, but it was his complaint that stuck out in my mind because I have a lot of local music files I listen to.
2. Yes, I'm aware that these other streaming services charge more overall, and that YouTube is free, and that you can get a lot of value out of no ads and YT Music. I'm very specifically talking about removing ads and how other companies charge less for that one thing, while Google bundles in more content to make people pay a price similar to the overall price of a streaming service (about $15/month).

I'm super glad that y'all get great value out of this service. I'm simply pointing out that part of that value is predicated on whether you are willing to switch music services or already like YT Music. If Google had stuck with Premium Lite and expanded it worldwide, that would've helped all those people who use YT to keep themselves entertained for hours during the work week.

As it is, I know there are plenty of people upset that it costs so much now that the grandfathered price has gone away, that would gratefully pay less for a Lite plan.
I used to be grandfathered in. I now gladly pay the full YT Premium price. I've been using YT Music since it was Google Play Music. Just one data point, I guess.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick