Google navigation vs. Waze community gps

drummerman2008

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Which of the apps would you use Google nav or the waze community gps? I've tried the waze and I have to say its amazing and personally im thinking about using it more often. But I'm just looking for other users feedback.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Which of the apps would you use Google nav or the waze community gps? I've tried the waze and I have to say its amazing and personally im thinking about using it more often. But I'm just looking for other users feedback.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Does the waze nav work with no cell coverage?

That's one of the key features I am looking for.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm really not sure I tried once. That's why I'm trying to get everyone's opinion on it before I keep it
Why do you need the opinions of others? Do you not know what you need/want or what you like or don't like?

If you really need opinions, have you read the reviews?

Given that it's a crowdsourcing GPS app (including map updates from users), I would assume that it heavily relies on downloading map data.

That's one of the key features I am looking for.
Try CoPilot and Navigon. Not sure off the top of my head about other options. CoPilot's on sale for a limited time. I bought it just to have GPS nav with locally stored maps when I need it. Genrally, Google Maps Nav meets my needs. I solely relied on it for a 3,000+ mile road trip.

I'm really not sure I tried once. That's why I'm trying to get everyone's opinion on it before I keep it
I don't see any reason to consider it unless it offers me something I need/want that Google Maps Nav doesn't. Locally stored maps would be the biggest reason for me as well.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I tried this again the other day, and landscape mode is indeed there. Not sure why it didn't work the first time, but something I did fixed it (maybe just a reboot or something).

Also tried out the English (UK) voice, which ended up being male. My kingdom for a sexy female english accent voice.

However, the navigation itself once again failed miserable. Told me twice to take a left where there was no left. And I'm not a big fan that the voice prompts don't pause the music I'm playing. They also do not say road names, which I find frustrating (for example, will just say "turn left" instead of "turn left onto route 72").

Regardless, I wanted to correct my earlier mistake that it didn't support landscape mode.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
**sigh** I am a glutton for punishment apparently.

I tried Waze a third time on a long trip and it sucked beyond suck. I've uninstalled it. Worst navigation app ever. This is kindof a waste of my time, but maybe it will help someone else avoid it.

First, my trip was from Harrisburg, PA to Kittanning PA (north of Pittsburgh). I know the route well, and it's a 3.5 hour trip. Figured I might as well use this to maybe find some police traps or something.

The first hint of trouble was Waze was calculating it at 5.5 hours. I checked the settings to make sure I had it set for "Fastest" and didn't inadvertantly have some whacky "avoid highways" option set. Nope. So right off the bat, Waze was calculating an additional 2 hours. WTF?

So I decided to leave it on anyways to see what the deal was. This trip takes me on the PA Turnpike (I-76) which is a toll road. Well, Waze wanted me to get off each exit, go through the toll booth and pay, then turn around, and go back through the booth and continue. Seriously.

So I got about 1/2 way through my trip, where I was about 1.5 hours away. Waze was still telling me 3 hours. Annoyed.

I finally pulled up the alternate routes in Waze, chose the 1.5 hour Alternate route (which was actually correct), and continued on.

About 10 minutes later, I looked down and Waze had closed and was no longer open. I opened it back up, went to type in the address again, and was greeted with a message about not letting me type while I was driving and to pull over to enter the address. "I KEEL YOU!" I yelled. However there is a nice "I'm the passenger" button you can press to let you type. Yes, to make you not type, they force you to press more buttons to say you're the passenger. Safety precaution averted! Don't know who thought that was a good idea.

I got the address put back in, only to have it calculate the 3 hour route again, forcing me to go to alternate routes to get back to my (at this point), 1 hour, 15 minute route.

At this point, it became apparent their maps suck. They have absolutely no idea about over/underpasses or exit ramps. It assumes if two roads are crossing each other on the map, you can obviously just turn onto them (LIES!).

So picture this: You have your typical cloverleaf exchange (where you're going North and go under a road, exit to the right, then loop around in order to continue west on the road you just went under). Well, Waze just tells you to take a left.

But it gets better. Assume you're not a moron and you use the ramp instead of blindly turning left into the wall. Well, you've now missed your "left" so it recalculates. BACK TO THE FREAKING 3 HOUR ROUTE!!!! And for miles it keeps telling you to make lefts that don't exist (because you happen to be going over/under the roads that are crossing the highway you're on).

Anyways, it was the worst piece of crap I've ever used.

After doing a bit of research, apparently it relies completely on some volunteer (i.e. sucker) to manually go in and update the maps to identify overpasses and whatnot in their area. Apparently that has not been done on a major highway in Pennsylvania. Whatever. Useless to me anyways.

That's my update. I will not be using it again.

Reactions: jwaves
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just a bump since this app was updated I am trying it out, but not as a registered user.
Not really using it for routes but just for accidents, traffic, etc.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Just a bump since this app was updated I am trying it out, but not as a registered user.
Not really using it for routes but just for accidents, traffic, etc.

^This is the best use for Waze.

I use Waze everyday for my daily commute and driving around my hometown. I've found it's not very good at driving directions. It will get you there, but it definitely has a preference for major streets and highways, even when that's not the shortest or the fastest route. If I don't know where I'm going I use Google Maps Navigation; it's much better at driving directions.

But for my daily commute (I already know where I'm going), I use Waze mainly for police traps, accidents, etc. Since it's crowd-source info, you have to have enough users in your area and driving your route and making reports to provide useful information. If you have all that, it can be great for those types of notifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers