Google Nexus 6 on AT&T

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: The AT&T Nexus 6 is SIM locked

Also what happens if you boot loader unlock and flash the current Google image? Any difference? Or is this at the baseband level?

I'm going to say it's at the baseband level. I hope I'm wrong for all those who have/are getting the AT&T version, though. I would just assume they're aware how easy that fix would be and put a stop to it.

Posted via the Android Central App

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Got It For AT&T from Google Play, Motorola or AT&T

so when the sim was put in to a goole /moto bought handset whats apps from att installed?

It's been confirmed that buying the phone from an AT&T store will come loaded with two bloatware apps. Not sure if this is the same if it is bought from the play store or Motorola. And the phone at AT&T is branded.

0xpcp

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

I'm going to say it's at the baseband level. I hope I'm wrong for all those who have/are getting the AT&T version, though. I would just assume they're aware how easy that fix would be and put a stop to it.

Yea probably right. I wonder who controls the baseband on these phones -- Moto or Google.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

There was an article discussing this that said it existed on a special partition and even flashing the OEM image would not remove it. Sorry I don't have the link at the moment.

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone take a unlocked N6 to AT&T, are they recognizing the imei

my current phone doesn't use a nano Sim, I've read ways to get a nano sim from AT&T but has anyone just taken a unlocked N6 to AT&T to have a sim activated for it. Have they had any issues with the IMEI numbers?

kayfaei

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
for people who upgraded on at&t next

Hello all
I am really looking at using my at&t upgrade and getting the nexus 6. It would be Tue 24month option for 22.77 a month. I am just wondering if anyone can GI e an estimate of how much their monthly bill skyrocked? I know each bill is different and what not, but as mine stands right now. I have the 2gb mobile share plan for $60 a month. With taxes and all my last bill was around $71 dollars.
I just don't want to be shocked if I take this route haha so what would I be looking at? Maybe 115 or less? I'm just hoping it wouldn't be any higher than that.

From Moto X

courtneyftw

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone take a unlocked N6 to AT&T, are they recognizing the imei

There are lots of people reporting on the Nexus 6 board of the phone working without issue on AT&T, IMEI recognized and everything.

jmartin

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone take a unlocked N6 to AT&T, are they recognizing the imei

Last time I had to do this I just told them I needed a replacement SIM of a given size/type. This was in an AT&T store. Free of charge.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

There was an article discussing this that said it existed on a special partition and even flashing the OEM image would not remove it. Sorry I don't have the link at the moment.

I believe it was on Android Police.

AT&T's Nexus 6 Is SIM-Locked, Checks Mobile Hotspot Subscription Status For Tethering, And Has The Carrier's Ringtones

AT&T's Nexus 6 Does Indeed Have The Globe On The Back, Plus A Globe And Jingle On The Boot Screen, Because AT&T

Thee main take away is this:
All these carrier-specific things that are showing up on the Nexus 6 will no doubt upset purists, but at the same time, it's also a testament to good design that these changes can all be accommodated without tampering with the core ROM. This is the most important thing for most people who would even care about this issue in the first place, as it means that the same set of factory images and OTAs will continue to work on every Nexus 6 regardless of what the carriers decide to add.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1) You can expect that a subsidized device will be SIM-locked. If it's bought outright, one of the things I'd insist on - before taking out my credit card - is unlocking. You don't unlock, I don't pay. (I don't let them set the phone up with my battery either. Use a charger or your own battery, but mine gets a full charge before the phone gets turned on ussing it. Maybe that's one reason my 10 year old V-551 batteries still work like new. [Never letting them get much below 50% charge, except for long-term storage, may be another.])

2) It would be almost as unusual for the unlock code to be not IMEI-based as it would be for them to give you the phone for free as you walked past the store. IOW, I wouldn't bet your money that it was static.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I have seen lots of questions about this, but haven't seen the answer yet. Well, I just got my AT&T branded Nexus 6, and it is SIM locked. The attached pic is what I get when I insert my (already active) VZW nano SIM. What a bummer.

View attachment 149436

View attachment 149437

You're buying through a carrier. I'd expect them to put their unlocking policies in place.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile's Nexus 6 is unlocked and unbranded. I'm currently running it on AT&T at the moment.

Don't you have to be a customer to buy it? Or did they sell you a Sim for a month?

My wife is on TMO buy I do not want her to know how much I spent on that device!

Posted via my OnePlus One!

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Well this made my choice easy for me. Going to get a 64 GB white straight from Google Play next year early. I can handle deleting the bloat but the idea of AT&T ringtones, boot screen, and branding on device is just terrible for me. Besides AT&T does not offer the model I want.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

i have to say i have been with at&t since the cingular days and love the service....especially since they reduced prices months back and have been bumping up data.
however...from my experience buying devices directly from at&t as well as lots of nexus/unlocked phones from the play store or craigs list/ebay, i would have bet good money the att 6 version was going to be locked...and branded. just the hunch i had weeks ago. so i ordered through motorola. i have to wait for the 12/2 round of shipments but well worth it.

(i mentioned in another thread..sorry) i stopped by a t mobile store to check out the 6 and it had no branding and is supposed to be unlocked. that is what the rep said but she was not 100% because all they had was the one demo. also, spint will not brand theirs but who knows if they will lock it. verizon...well they take whatever att does to the next level.

Umm Verizon is selling the iphone's unlocked so who knows :p

tpags

May 1, 2011
Visit site

Wouldn't doubt they have carrier IQ lurking somewhere in there. Refusing shipment of mine on Saturday and awaiting on an unlocked purchased from Swappa.

I can handle the globe on the back (somewhat) but the boot screen, too much!!

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick