Google Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Download Speaktoit Assistant from the Play Store. It has more voice commands, including the ability to set appointments. It also lets you change computer voices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

oh I got this it's so cool! I got the giggles when I was setting it up.

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
if they're not compatible why do we want them?

Because they usually are. Most ICS apps work fine. Google won't release them to the wild until certain paperwork has been filled out. Those who want to try them anyway will expect a few issues. That's why so many people are complaining right now. The developers should have gotten their apps certified BEFORE launch but apparently time was too tight.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Amazon Prime can be watched using the dolphin browser, one less reason to get a kindle. This is per Eileen on All about android. I don't have a membership myself.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Download the ultimate rotation app from the playstore, you will then be able to enable the home screen to go into landscape mode, without your nexus 7 having to be rooted

Great tip, It works fine without changing the default settings. I wonder what is the difference between Forced Auto and Auto. I left it on Forced Auto and it works so I'll leave it as is for now.

inventor00

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Turning off Keyboard Sounds:
Settings, language & input, android keyboard settings, click to the right of it, unclick Sound on Keypress.
Rotate automatically:
Settings, Accessibility, auto-rotate screen
Bar code Reader
Free version does not work ,but the pay $3 version does.

paulsam7

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: HBO GO

You can get HBO Go to work in JellyBean by using Firefox Beta with the Phony plugin and simulating a desktop version of the browser.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just a matter of installing the "Phony" add-on (in my case in Firefox Aurora) - and of course having Flash installed. Then select Desktop in the Phony options.

The only problem I have is that the Desktop interface really doesn't respond well to touch, and I have to use my bluetooth keyboard to navigate better.

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
New tip for anyone trying to trick there Nexus into thinking its in another country using DNS change.

For instance I use this to watch Netflix USA content in Canada.

When you are connected to a Wifi connection go to the list of connections.

tap and hold onto the network you are connected to. It will bring up a menu to "modify network"

This allows you to change more then just the IP address, but also the DNS so you can make these changes. Works great for me. I can switch between Canadian and American content fine. Like usual Netflix just thinks you are travelling.

shafferb

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
What a great thread! Glad it got a "sticky"!

I particularly appreciate the hints about getting Dice Player and Ultimate Rotation. As much as I've always liked MX Player Pro, there's no comparison to how well Dice Player works on the Nexus 7, as well as on my Galaxy Nexus HSPA+.

As for Ultimate Rotation, it's flat out the best (you don't have to "root" it to do this) app that adds essential functionality to both my devices. Simple, painless, and cheap.

Whatever you do with these though, GET the paid apps, or in the case of Dice Player, definitely donate (as of August 1st). These folks have worked hard providing these apps to us, and the least we can do is support them a bit financially. That keeps the ball rolling, and encourages more of these great developers to continue to make our lives easier.

So give 'em five or ten bucks (or more if you can), you can't eat a cheap meal at Arby's for that, and these will be a lot better for you!:D

Reactions: ashishb

adamfrayne182

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Another thing I found.

If you start the clock app it will bring up a big digital clock on the screen.

But if you tap it once it will dim the screen wasting less battery, but still visable in a dark room. Tap again and it lights back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred