Google Now - Call "my wife"

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a way to have Google Now recognize alternate names for people in your contacts?

I put "my wife" in as a nickname on my contact list and then asked Google Now to "Call my wife" and it can't find the contact.

Is there another way I should go about doing this?

Thank you,
Neal

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have my wife listed as "wife". When I say "call wife" it knows what to do. Don't list it as a nickname. If you are in an accident some day first responders will be looking for "wife" in your contact list, not Joanne with "wife" as a nickname.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have my wife listed as "wife". When I say "call wife" it knows what to do. Don't list it as a nickname. If you are in an accident some day first responders will be looking for "wife" in your contact list, not Joanne with "wife" as a nickname.

That wouldn't do much good when my phone is locked. :D

My phone has an "Emergency Contact" list that can be accessed from the lock screen and my wife is listed. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JStrojil

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
You can add a new field to the contact called "phonetic name". Just write "my wife" as the phonetic name of your beloved and you can keep her listed under her name. Works like a charm.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You can add a new field to the contact called "phonetic name". Just write "my wife" as the phonetic name of your beloved and you can keep her listed under her name. Works like a charm.

I didn't know that, and that's definitely worth knowing. Awesome.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
That's a great idea. I labeled my wife first name wife last name in my contact list. I will try phonetic name instead.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey! It worked! Thank you!

I just did phonetic first name as "My Wife" and left the last name blank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

connex91

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

This works great! I was jealous of my wife's iPhone, Siri has a specific setup for "wife" and "husband", now I can do that with my Android!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad this thread popped-up because I didn't know about that phonetic name either - Thanks for sharing that tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52