Google photos no longer deletes from device

Indecisi0n

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
When I use to delete photos off Google photos app it would also delete from my device galley which was perfect. This way I didn't have to delete the same photo from two places. It no longer does this. I think it from the last update. Anyone else having this issue ?

I tried clearing the cache, clearing data and also deleting app and reinstalling without luck.
I have all sync options turned on.

When I delete the photo from Google photos I get the message stating "it will deleting from device" but it doesnt.

Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it takes a number of days before the actual photo file is deleted from the phone (just in case you decide to restore it).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
OP wants the photo file to be deleted from the device if they put it in the Trash in Google Photos. I don't think that happens right away, since Google Photos Trash doesn't immediately delete the photo completely (so that you have the ability to restore it from the Trash). If you select a photo in Google Photo, tap the Menu button, then select the Delete From Device option, then the photo file gets deleted immediately (but the photo remains in your Google Photos cloud).

If you delete a photo using the stock gallery app, that is probably like the Google Photos Delete From Device option. So that photo would remain in your Google Photos cloud, but would be removed from local storage.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No....I meant Google photos which is like a gallery
I use it just to back up my Gallery a long with Samsung cloud , now if I delete the same photo it gallery it's still there in Google photos, haven't tried doing it first in Google photos see if it's in gallery

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok I can confirm I deleted a photo I had both gallery and Google photos in Google photos first and it deleted from stock Samsung gallery

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok I can confirm I deleted a photo I had both gallery and Google photos in Google photos first and it deleted from stock Samsung gallery

I, like the OP, could not get Google Photos to delete photo from both Photos and Samsung Gallery. It used to work, but now I can't get it to work.

I wonder if it's because my camera storage is on SD card, and the update broke the link. Are you using internal or SD card?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I, like the OP, could not get Google Photos to delete photo from both Photos and Samsung Gallery. It used to work, but now I can't get it to work.

I wonder if it's because my camera storage is on SD card, and the update broke the link. Are you using internal or SD card?
Good point, I'm using internal storage

rescuejg

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
If I delete from Google photos it deletes online, Google photos device and Samsung Gallery. If I delete from Samsung Gallery it stays in Google Photos
This is how mine works. Sometimes it takes a few minutes or longer for it to happen.

I find it seems to happen more effectively if i have gallery and Google photos both open on my phone and I'm on WiFi.

My photos are stored on SD card.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Good point, I'm using internal storage

Just following up on this. This must be from the recent Google Photos update, because when I selected delete from the app over the weekend, it prompted me for permission to my SD card. Once given, the delete from Google Photos now deletes the same photo from my SD card storage. Whoohoo.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just following up on this. This must be from the recent Google Photos update, because when I selected delete from the app over the weekend, it prompted me for permission to my SD card. Once given, the delete from Google Photos now deletes the same photo from my SD card storage. Whoohoo.
That's great so a update was all it needed?

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
That's great so a update was all it needed?

I don't know if the latest app update included this particular thing or not, but the permission request kicked in when I selected delete from the Photos app this weekend. It didn't do so from my earlier try. So if the permission is not given for the app to access the SD card then it won't be able to delete there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Novigator