Google Photos not backing up until I open Google Photos app

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Can't say I ever noticed this on my previous Samsung devices, but I noticed on my S22 that after taking pictures, they don't actually get backed up to the cloud until I open the Google Photos app itself. Once I open the app, the little circle around my Google profile picture changes color and starts making its way around the circle.

Contrast that with OneDrive, where photos are backed up immediately after taking a photo. I don't have to open the OneDrive app to trigger a backup.

Anyone seeing their Google Photos get backed up without opening the photos app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you turned off every possible battery optimization option for Google Photos in the system settings?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you turned off every possible battery optimization option for Google Photos in the system settings?

I just added Photos to the list of apps that will never be optimized and can run in the background without restriction. Let's see if that works. Thanks for the idea.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I ever noticed this on my previous Samsung devices, but I noticed on my S22 that after taking pictures, they don't actually get backed up to the cloud until I open the Google Photos app itself. Once I open the app, the little circle around my Google profile picture changes color and starts making its way around the circle.

Contrast that with OneDrive, where photos are backed up immediately after taking a photo. I don't have to open the OneDrive app to trigger a backup.

Anyone seeing their Google Photos get backed up without opening the photos app?

I only see this happening when I take a picture and immediately go into the photos app to check. If I take a picture and wait a few minutes to open the photos app I don't see the backup circle and the picture is backed up already.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I have mine set to only backup over wifi. If you were on cellular that might've been the case as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana