Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
No matter what, you can't please everyone all the time.......

But you can please more people most of the time and earn their sales. Case in point is Samsung, still by far the largest Android OEM in the USA. Google thinks they can pull an Apple, but that crap don't fly when you have almost no market share and your customers have tons of other choices.

LONG rant ahead. Sorry, it has been a Tuesday.

Case in point is me. My history is Nexus 5-->Nexus 6P -->Galaxy Note 7-->Galaxy Note 7#2 -->Nexus 6P --> Galaxy S8. The S8 has actually been super stable since it was upgraded to Android 8.0, and running Nova launcher my phone interaction is largely the same as it was with my Nexus 6P. I need to get a bigger screen because I'm turning 49 and my near vision is getting worse. I was looking at the Pixel 3 XL mostly for the expected camera improvements. Don't care about OS updates that much, especially if it is now bringing crap like this new navigation. Security patches? I have yet to hear of a major Android malware/virus attack period, let alone one that Pixels escaped because of a patch they got an no else did.

Right now the S9+ is looking pretty darn good to me, especially since I'll be able to wait for Black Friday sales. Camera is on par (by most accounts) with Pixel 2 95% of the time, sometimes better. Headphone jack, wireless charging, gorgeous bright screen, wireless charging, Samsung Pay which works everywhere, and a humongous selection of cases and accessories. And it will be probably $300 cheaper than the XL 3.

A notch I could live with. LG 7 notch is okay. One Plus 6 notch is fine. Someone else commented this notch is deeper than one of Simon Cowell's v-necks. It is, and also it has those googly-android camera lenses staring at you. And STILL the big-*** bezels. Glass back, so gotta believe it'll have wireless charging, so there's one little win. The navigation stuff in Pie is crap, better be able to get it back with Nova.

If the leaks are true, the only hope I'm buying an XL 3 is a totally miraculous camera. Automagical. The damn thing better take X-rays and have built-in IR.

Yes, I'm pissed. I'm frankly waiting for my 13-year old daughter to start demanding an i-phone (2 years tops) because she is the only weirdo without one (path my son tread a year ago), and then I'll probably switch me an my wife to iphones as well. The rest of the extended family uses iphones so at least I'll be in the imessage threads and will be able to facetime with them.

I'm getting old enough that I just want **** to work and care less every year about specs and total freedom of choice and options. Since google is turning into apple I guess my loyalty to Android is just about dried up.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
But you can please more people most of the time and earn their sales. Case in point is Samsung, still by far the largest Android OEM in the USA. Google thinks they can pull an Apple, but that crap don't fly when you have almost no market share and your customers have tons of other choices.

LONG rant ahead. Sorry, it has been a Tuesday.

Case in point is me. My history is Nexus 5-->Nexus 6P -->Galaxy Note 7-->Galaxy Note 7#2 -->Nexus 6P --> Galaxy S8. The S8 has actually been super stable since it was upgraded to Android 8.0, and running Nova launcher my phone interaction is largely the same as it was with my Nexus 6P. I need to get a bigger screen because I'm turning 49 and my near vision is getting worse. I was looking at the Pixel 3 XL mostly for the expected camera improvements. Don't care about OS updates that much, especially if it is now bringing crap like this new navigation. Security patches? I have yet to hear of a major Android malware/virus attack period, let alone one that Pixels escaped because of a patch they got an no else did.

Right now the S9+ is looking pretty darn good to me, especially since I'll be able to wait for Black Friday sales. Camera is on par (by most accounts) with Pixel 2 95% of the time, sometimes better. Headphone jack, wireless charging, gorgeous bright screen, wireless charging, Samsung Pay which works everywhere, and a humongous selection of cases and accessories. And it will be probably $300 cheaper than the XL 3.

A notch I could live with. LG 7 notch is okay. One Plus 6 notch is fine. Someone else commented this notch is deeper than one of Simon Cowell's v-necks. It is, and also it has those googly-android camera lenses staring at you. And STILL the big-*** bezels. Glass back, so gotta believe it'll have wireless charging, so there's one little win. The navigation stuff in Pie is crap, better be able to get it back with Nova.

If the leaks are true, the only hope I'm buying an XL 3 is a totally miraculous camera. Automagical. The damn thing better take X-rays and have built-in IR.

Yes, I'm pissed. I'm frankly waiting for my 13-year old daughter to start demanding an i-phone (2 years tops) because she is the only weirdo without one (path my son tread a year ago), and then I'll probably switch me an my wife to iphones as well. The rest of the extended family uses iphones so at least I'll be in the imessage threads and will be able to facetime with them.

I'm getting old enough that I just want **** to work and care less every year about specs and total freedom of choice and options. Since google is turning into apple I guess my loyalty to Android is just about dried up.
I believe you are sincere.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but even if you are that's ok.

Obviously I was wound up yesterday and ranted longer than I should have, but sometimes ya gotta vent :mad: I'd rather do it about this silly stuff than politics :)

Google did nothing personal to you. Like you said, plenty of options, so take your money elsewhere.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the part of the article you are referring to

The Notch of course, it does look a little big but I’ll reserve judgement until it’s in a version store so I can see it first hand. I’m pretty positive this won’t be a day one purchase, at least for me

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Notch of course, it does look a little big but I’ll reserve judgement until it’s in a version store so I can see it first hand. I’m pretty positive this won’t be a day one purchase, at least for me

The link talks about earbuds.

Don't worry... There will be an unnotch setting.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I’m sure I do too just might wait to see it in person before I pull out the AMEX

I tried out the iPhone X (buddy let me borrow his) to see how it was. TBH I only saw the notch for the first day or so... afterwards I really didn't think about it until I either purposely looked for it or was reading forums.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
This is all about opinions and everyone is different. Personally I am fine with 4gb of ram but am not fine with 128gb of storage. If the 3XL tops out at 128gb will be really disappointed, and because of google's push to have all our data in the cloud I think they are probably likely to resist larger storage.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
This is all about opinions and everyone is different. Personally I am fine with 4gb of ram but am not fine with 128gb of storage. If the 3XL tops out at 128gb will be really disappointed, and because of google's push to have all our data in the cloud I think they are probably likely to resist larger storage.
It's not even necessary for it to be that nefarious... Google makes a LOT of these decisions based on data. They have the data for how people tend to use phones, including resource utilization like RAM and storage usage. And not just from Pixels - they potentially have that data for over ten years of most Android devices, which is billions of them.

As an example, I always buy the largest storage size available, which is one data point.. but even now, having used the 128GB P2XL for over a year, I'm still sitting with over 70GB available... And that's another data point.

If Google isn't bumping a particular spec, it is incredibly likely that it's because, according to how Android users actually use devices, it is unnecessary to do so.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
It's not even necessary for it to be that nefarious... Google makes a LOT of these decisions based on data. They have the data for how people tend to use phones, including resource utilization like RAM and storage usage. And not just from Pixels - they potentially have that data for over ten years of most Android devices, which is billions of them.

As an example, I always buy the largest storage size available, which is one data point.. but even now, having used the 128GB P2XL for over a year, I'm still sitting with over 70GB available... And that's another data point.

If Google isn't bumping a particular spec, it is incredibly likely that it's because, according to how Android users actually use devices, it is unnecessary to do so.
Excellent point, I went back and forth for weeks trying to decide between the 64/128 GB and looked at my prior storage use extremely stringently before I went with the 64gb. Fast forward 7 months and I still have over 45% of storage free.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Same ... After upgrading to Pie, I've only used 27% (about 17G) of the 64 GB available. I consciously run a "skinny" phone.

I guess, from what I read, some users literally store everything locally for years and thus need/want high storage or SD Cards. Maybe cloud storage isn't their cup of tea or just haven't bought an external drive or whatever...