Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Indeed. I read Andrew's article yesterday and I think he sums things up with the pending 3 XL fairly well..

"The Pixel 3 XL you see here is, for the most part, what we can expect to see officially in October. That means it's once again a Google experience, just like the Pixel 2 XL, and not fighting for the attention of the power users and folks who choose their phone based on specs."

I know you're quoting so don't take it the wrong way but I hate the term "power user".
What does that even mean and is it really spelled "arrogance"?
I understand the term as to segregate different levels of software end users in the I.T. world, but someone has to show me that they can't be as meaningfully productive without a device geared for power users. If that's the case shouldn't all highly productive people be penalized when using anything less?

I feel so inadequate......lol 😅😅😂😂🤣🤣

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. I do think they have a target audience in mind and an experience that's centered around that group of people. They may have some tough challenges with branding, messaging and marketing to get their offering to resonate fully with a wider audience.

While I'm in the camp of users who thinks 4GB of RAM is perfect they could have gone 6GB to eliminate some of the criticism they get from users on the fence. Of course the haters would still find stuff to complain about.
As for the smaller battery concerns I think it's unrealistic to say they went with a smaller battery. Yes, it physically specs out smaller but in terms of true performance or usage the difference between the two will or should be completely unnoticeable.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Millennial. :D I kid...
Maybe it is, and that's fine, they can make whatever phone they want.

I'll just compare the Pixel 3 to other phones on the market and determine what's best value for me and get that.

If they don't want to compete with high-end phones, then it shouldn't be priced like high-end phones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Maybe it is, and that's fine, they can make whatever phone they want.

I'll just compare the Pixel 3 to other phones on the market and determine what's best value for me and get that.

If they don't want to compete with high-end phones, then it shouldn't be priced like high-end phones.

I agree..

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
But they do compete with high end phones, specifically the one high end line they've chosen. They just aren't competitive in the one narrow criteria that you've chosen to plant a flag in. A criteria that no one has ever made the hill of death in any generation prior and one that is laughable as being considered for even a top ten list of most important factors driving user experience for the vast majority of users.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But they do compete with high end phones, specifically the one high end line they've chosen. They just aren't competitive in the one narrow criteria that you've chosen to plant a flag in. A criteria that no one has ever made the hill of death in any generation prior and one that is laughable as being considered for even a top ten list of most important factors driving user experience for the vast majority of users.

Google needs to sell their phones through other carriers at discount like other flagships ..that's 1 and 2 they need dump more marketing ...get rid of anything Lg it's just bad luck with them. Use htc design team immediately and sell to more countries that's a start from a very long road . They need the right ingredients for hardware they got the software otherwise I dont see them selling phones in the future just software

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
It might be useful to think about the things that make a phone "good". Is it spec sheet? Is it whether or not people using it enjoy it? Is it that it's secure? Was the iPhone 6s a good phone? Was the Nexus 6? Is the Note 9 the only good phone? Is there a distinction between, "a good phone" and "a phone I want to buy"?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
It might be useful to think about the things that make a phone "good". Is it spec sheet? Is it whether or not people using it enjoy it? Is it that it's secure? Was the iPhone 6s a good phone? Was the Nexus 6? Is the Note 9 the only good phone? Is there a distinction between, "a good phone" and "a phone I want to buy"?

I think those are distinctions and intangibles, that drive people's opinions more. For example, I have no doubt that the Note 9 is an incredible device and one that I have zero interest in buying. The features and benefits just don't speak to my personal use case. UX is high on my list, while mAh is low. We all see value differently.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Still have plenty free space after all my crap is installed.
606a881835055cd14294bc42b1353ec8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001