Google Related Apps Freezing

Tical

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
So I realize today my office cafeteria has paypass... Great! I can use that $10 from Google I got for signing up for a prepaid card on google wallet I think. Well, I sign in to Wallet, and it says 'initiatilizing...' for a while... and a longer while... and a longer while... (1+hour). I realize something is wrong, so I put it out of my mind for a few. After a few hours I notice I haven't received anything in my gmail for a while.. a strange occurance... I check it out, and it doesn't load, freezes (not force close, though it offers to do so). After clearing the data for each related app, uninstalling everything that wasn't stock, and a few "battery pulls" I've identified the following programs all are not functioning correctly:

• Gmail
    Internet
    Maps
    Play Store
    People
    Wallet

The Play Store and People are really odd, because I can open up the play store, browse through categories, both previously visited and unvisited, but it completely freezes when i click on an actual app to download/purchase. Similar thing to the store in that I see all of my contacts, but if I click on one to look at the detail, completely freezes...

I think it has something to do with programs that use my google account, but I'm not sure how/why. I can log on to that same account from a computer, and even tried pushing an install from the play store (Evo kicked an error to say it wasn't responding, wait or close). I actually would have no problem just using the RUU to go back to stock, as I only got it Monday night, but I'm concerned that if I do before desyncing google wallet, it'll break it permanently...

Thoughts/Suggestions/Hopes/Dreams???

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I,ve been using Drive,Maps and Playstore all day with no issues . I use them all about 6 or 7 times a day during work . Hope you find something out

Reactions: Tical

Tical

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement. I did indeed find something out. I'll document the solution so anybody else that has this problem can fix it too.

I verified that it was indeed something wrong with the google account(s). Once i deleted both of them off the phone and restart, i was able to access everything once I added either account back. Well everything but Google Wallet. The screen was stuck at 'initializing' for a long while. After killing it, none of my google account related items would work until removing the account, rebooting and re-adding the account. I disabled the NFC (settings > ...more > NFC). I then tried google wallet again, which immediately kicked off an error that asked if i wanted to enable it. I said yes, and this time, it initialized immediately. Everything went through, and voila. No more freezing. If for some reason it does it again, I'll post an update on my way to best buy to return it...lol

chenergize

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Any update on this? I've been having the same issue too. Internet/Gmail freezes and nothing works. After a restart though, all the apps work again.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Happened to me the other day. Gmail wouldn't load. Play store apps wouldn't download. I just restarted my phone and all was well.

lastdetailwd

Nov 14, 2009
www.lastdetailwd.com
I have the same issue with Gmail. When I go to open the app sometimes, it comes up, but the screen where the messages would be displayed is white and that's it. I have to hit the 'home' button to get out of it. A restart is the only remedy I have found.

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have been experiencing the problem with gmail. I've even tried reloading the firmware using RUU. (If anyone does this, be sure to reset google wallet in it's settings menu prior). Rebooting the phone "fixes" the problem for a while. Today it didn't even last a few hours. So, I tried uninstalling updates to gmail. Gmail starting working again without rebooting. I will hold off on updates to gmail to see if it's a problem with the gmail app itself.

derek5l

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been wondering about that. Only GApps seem to hang while opening them. Sometimes it's chrome, sometimes it's the playstore

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Tical

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
For those that asked for a follow-up, my appologies on the delay. I'm not sure how I missed replying to a thread I started, but I did...

Anyway, you probably won't like the 'fix'. After a few more days of struggling, it got to the point where I had to return it. The replacement phone worked excellently. If you are still able to go into google wallet and reset it, I would recommend a full reset via the RUU to see if that wipes out the problem. I tried that at the very end, and it did indeed seem to help, but had to replace it due to what I thought was another problem (network connectivity, turns out it's just a problem with the model in general).

For those that may not know, an RUU is a full factory reset, wiping EVERYTHING off the phone to back out of the box status. It's the most extreme measure, but it also has the highest probability of working. I would use the RUU and then try to go a full day without installing any apps that didn't come with the phone. If it doesn't work, then it's hardware. If it does, but then stops working in a few days, after you have added back your normal apps, then there is a conflict somehow. If you do this, please post the apps that you have added, maybe we can find a common thread?

jayhay312

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same problem for the past few days. Took the phone off fast boot and then rebooted the phone. All seems to be working... for now.

arwild01

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
My wife is experiencing this problem on her evo 4g lte. It's happened several times and a reboot usually (but not always) helpz for a while. She just wants a fix. She's blaming google wallet and has asked me to uninstall it.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I kept getting an error message yesterday that gapps kept crashing.

Then I'd go into google talk and it was logged out. Unread messages missing and the entire history. Kept happening until I rebooted. Haven't seen it again yet.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

zhecht

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue with Gmail. When I go to open the app sometimes, it comes up, but the screen where the messages would be displayed is white and that's it. I have to hit the 'home' button to get out of it. A restart is the only remedy I have found.

I've been having this problem as well. It usually seems to happen after my phone switches from 3G to wifi or back.

Tawp

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had these same problems shortly after receiving the update. My GApps froze at least 4 times in about 2 days after receiving the update. But, I've been running without any problems for at least 8 days now. The only thing I could see that MAY have caused my GApps to freeze was low/no signal. 3 of the 4 times my GApps froze was on the same day when I was in an area that I know had a bad tower (had 0-1 bars until last week, now has 4+ bars). The 4th time happened at my house which also had low signal (1-2 bars), and I think it was when I was switching from 3G to WiFi. In my case, only a phone restart would fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny