Google Search 4x1 widget

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Why is the Google search widget 4x1 in size? When you click the left 3 quarters of the widget it just launches the Google search app, clicking the right 1 quarter let's you do a voice search.

Why couldn't they make this a 2x1 widget? I find myself just placing the Google search app on my launcher (as a 1x1 mind you) it takes up much less room and I very rarely use the voice search function.

The way the widget looks it seems as if you are supposed to be able to type your search directly into it. Am I missing something?

ersw

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes Mikey, strongly agree and I've been an android user for only 4 days! However I do like this widget, no need for it to be 4x1, it probably wasn't intended to launch a separate search window as it does, but I do like the voice search option from time to time, yes 2x1 would be the best, however like you stated I have since trashed the widget and went back to the ol' browser button, maybe the best option would to have a 1x1 shortcut and allow both inputs to search, i bet that will come soon...

top magoo

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know if the logic behind this voice recognition capability has been reduced since the OG EVO? my old EVO could understand "text <contact name>" and it would bring up an sms window with the <contact name> filled out, and the prompt in the message section. then, i'd just have to voice my message and hit send.

the result is below, without a keyboard nor way to enter the message content.

2012-09-07_13-45-12.png

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind the widget being 4x1, but I would like it if you could type directly into the text field instead of it just launching the search app. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a widget...I might as well just put a shortcut directly to the app.

Sent from my EVO LTE

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to configure this to use a certain browser? I haven't been able to find it. I installed Chrome on my SGS3 (tested and no hack vulnerability), but I would prefer it use Chrome vs. the stock browser.

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know if the logic behind this voice recognition capability has been reduced since the OG EVO? my old EVO could understand "text <contact name>" and it would bring up an sms window with the <contact name> filled out, and the prompt in the message section. then, i'd just have to voice my message and hit send.

the result is below, without a keyboard nor way to enter the message content.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/gunny_magoo/2012-09-07_13-45-12.png

You speak who you want to message then state your message all at one time. There is a tutorial if you hit help.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doom44