Google Voice question v. outside of USA

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe this is silly but I do need some help with this cause I can't figure it out.

I have to be in Australia for a while and I was wondering that since I have google voice now and redirect calls to my mobile, when I am in Australia, can I just switch on wifi and still be able to receive my redirected calls via google voice?

or.....should I just stick to SMS over the browser? (which should be free, right?)

Thanks.

p.s. Mods if this should be elsewhere, feel free to move it. I couldn't figure out where to put it.

Nelars

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi Bob,

The most practical option would be for you to have your google voice calls forwarded to a SIP service number in your phone; However, if you don't have a SIP account, but you will have access to a computer and WIFI there, the solution below could be your least expensive option.
Currently I am in the middle east and what I'm using is a combination of google voice and magicjack ($40/1st. year & $20/year thereafter).
This set up is doing wonders for me and my wife. We can talk all we want to (and receive calls from) the USA without limitations. The voice quality is excellent and the service is reliable, I've being using it for almost three years now.

Regards,

Nelson

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I have to be in Australia for a while and I was wondering that since I have google voice now and redirect calls to my mobile, when I am in Australia, can I just switch on wifi and still be able to receive my redirected calls via google voice?

or.....should I just stick to SMS over the browser? (which should be free, right?)
This is an apples and oranges question. The latter doesn't address calls. As for the former, GV itself isn't a complete VOIP solution so you can't just turn on WiFi and use GV for calls.