Google Voice question

Skillz1318

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 4 and will be getting the Thunderbolt when released. I believe with android you can integrate GV into the native phone dialer so when you make calls it uses GV and the person receiving the call sees your GV number.

Can you do the same integration with the native text messaging app?

I have a jailbroken iPhone and there is an app that integrates GV into your native text messaging app so you just send/receive texts as normal with the default program and you don't have to use the GV app to send/receive texts.

I love it as now my phone seamlessly integrates with GV and I'm hoping I can do this with android (Thunderbolt) as well.

Thanks in advance!

BigDogDVJ

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You can do the same with the text app. There is an option to have it send your GV number as the sender and thats the number recipient will see and respond to.

Reactions: mmontel

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hmm...I use google voice and I can not use my native app or handcent to send text from google voice. I have to open the google voice app and send from there. So I'm wondering how the previous poster is able to do this is there something in settings I'm missing?

Skillz1318

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmm...I use google voice and I can not use my native app or handcent to send text from google voice. I have to open the google voice app and send from there. So I'm wondering how the previous poster is able to do this is there something in settings I'm missing?

That was my understanding of how it worked...I know you can tell GV to forward text messages to any number you want, but I thought to reply from your GV number you had to use the GV app.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a BB but would assume it is the same for any phone. If you have gvoice set to forward text messages to your mobile phone, you can reply directly to that text and it will show up as your google voice #. If you want to send a new text, not replying, I believe you'll need to open the gvoice app first.

cq

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
You can always port your number to Google Voice and use it that way. I assume you are on AT&T with the iphone 4 and will be cancelling your contract anyway - if not the porting will cancel your Verizon contract, not something you want to do if you have a high EFT (Early Termination Fee)

Skillz1318

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I already ported my number to GV and I use GV on my work iPhone...I will get a Thunderbolt via work and use GV for my personal line...I just hope I can text with native client and not have to use the GV app.

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You can use the native app but its annoying. I don't mind the gv app what is your problems with it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
You can use the native app but its annoying. I don't mind the gv app what is your problems with it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I keep seeing people claiming you can use the native app to text from your google number, but I'm yet to see anyone post on how they are doing this?

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You just set the options on voice.google.com to send texts to whichever number. It sucks though because the texts don't come from the contacts number but from some random gv number. However, using the gv app gives you free text messages so I don't know why you would pay your carrier just to use the native app. You still get notifications. Still shows the texts as threaded conversations. Can read your texts and respond to them on a pc from your gmail or even a browser extension. The benefits greatly outweigh the downsides.

Reactions: sasha

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Not that I wanna do this because I don't mind using the app I just was curious as to how it worked Thanks again for the info.

rubytuesday007

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to use the native sms app to send texts from your GV number. Someone please correct me if u know different.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to use the native sms app to send texts from your GV number. Someone please correct me if u know different.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
You can, here is how it works:

Say you have a friend who's number is 5551212 and his name is Steve.
If they send a text to your google voice number and you want to use the native sms app on your phone you will receive a text message from a random number like 2349999 and it will say "Steve - Hey man what's up".(That is the caveat, weird number and his name is in the text message itself)
You can reply to that text with your native SMS app to the 2349999 number and it will go to Steve and show your google voice number as the sender for him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod