Google Voice Typing stops typing after two seconds

WileEQuixote

Dec 15, 2018
Visit site
On a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge using Gboard (and other voice typing apps) I am able to say only two or three words before GVT stops typing. The status area still says "Listening" but no new words appear.

There is no error message but another, non-Google app that apparently uses the GVT plumbing says "Reconnecting..." when it fails at this point.

GVT used to work fine on this device then it stopped working.

In Google Assistant on the same device I can say long things ("remind me tomorrow afternoon to clean out the space shuttle") without any problem.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Gboard.

On another device (a small Samsung tablet) I had the identical problem (GVT was working, then started having this problem) and I fixed it by making GVT go back to the original, factory version and then updating it. But that device runs Android 4.3 and GVT was a separate entry in the Application Manager list. In Android 6 I can't find an item I can un-update and then update. It seems all integrated into "Google."

So my theory is that somehow an update broke GVT and I have no clue how to unbreak it.

Ideas?

WileEQuixote

Dec 15, 2018
Visit site
If I let the system update the Google app, voice typing breaks again. If I Force it back to the factory installed version, voice going works again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance