GoPhone Speed Throttling?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Does GoPhone throttle download/upload speeds for HSPA+ and/or LTE?

Will probably make a change to ATT and also looking at their prepaid option.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Does GoPhone throttle download/upload speeds for HSPA+ and/or LTE?

Will probably make a change to ATT and also looking at their prepaid option.

I've done some looking around and can't find anything regarding a policy on throttling with the GoPhone plans. I would say no, considering the data is not unlimited. Rather, you pay for a set data allowance per month.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for responding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

No problem. Feel free to share your experience if you decide on going with that service. Others may be interested in hearing about it :).

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Purchased a Moto X and signed up for ATT GoPhone.

My current plan is the $60 unlimited talk, unlimited text and 2GB per month. Performed a few speed tests everything seems to run as normal for data. Have done a few calls and all is well.

Will update this app a few times during my initial 30 days to let others know how it progresses.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

My current plan is the $60 unlimited talk, unlimited text and 2GB per month. Performed a few speed tests everything seems to run as normal for data. Have done a few calls and all is well.

Will update this app a few times during my initial 30 days to let others know how it progresses.

I'll be jumping to this exact plan as well, very interesting hear your findings.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

So if you buy at the AT&T store off the shelf and pay full retail price you can bypass postpaid and go straight to a Go Phone plan?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
So if you buy at the AT&T store off the shelf and pay full retail price you can bypass postpaid and go straight to a Go Phone plan?

Correct. They were even able to port my number from Verizon to the prepaid plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Why would there be throtling on this plan? It's not an unlimited plan.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I was unsure if full download speeds were available because it was a prepaid plan. I'm paying $35 - 40 less than a postpaid plan and was curious if anything was cut back.

Sent from my Moto X

Chiefthunder

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hope no but when I got H2O and only see few you tube videos they cap my 2gb to edge and my data use was only 120mb in a day :(

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why would there be throtling on this plan? It's not an unlimited plan.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

AT&T apparently throttles when using voice and data. Try a speed test on a call.

Not sure why... I think it's messed up to advertise voice and data then throttle it but.. /shrug.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll give it a try. Is that type of throttling specific to prepaid or are postpaid customers affected as well?

Sent from my Moto X

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll give it a try. Is that type of throttling specific to prepaid or are postpaid customers affected as well?

Sent from my Moto X

I think all. It's only while on a call.. Stupid still though in my opinion.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

strafer69

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
There is no throttling while on a call. When you are not on a call you probably have LTE access, however, when you go onto a call, you drop to HSPA+ because AT&T does not have voice over LTE access. I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and LTE is considerably faster than HSPA+.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There is no throttling while on a call. When you are not on a call you probably have LTE access, however, when you go onto a call, you drop to HSPA+ because AT&T does not have voice over LTE access. I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and LTE is considerably faster than HSPA+.

Some have tested this and it has been shown they do throttle on call.

Go to HSPA only.. Do a speed test.. Then get on a call and do a speed test again.. It will be drastically different.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Some have tested this and it has been shown they do throttle on call.

Go to HSPA only.. Do a speed test.. Then get on a call and do a speed test again.. It will be drastically different.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

They don't throttle you on a call. Like the previous person said, you drop to hspa+ because that's what currently supports talk plus data. That is not unique to AT&T as voice over LTE has yet to be rolled out to all carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
They don't throttle you on a call. Like the previous person said, you drop to hspa+ because that's what currently supports talk plus data. That is not unique to AT&T as voice over LTE has yet to be rolled out to all carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

From my own testing I beg to differ. The speeds are not HSPA+ speeds. They are much slower. I still get data just not fast data. Less than a meg a lot of the time. I will post some screen shots if you would like. I know it could be my area but that is what I found.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WyattEarp