Got into GPSTest.apk

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Got into GPSSetup.apk

I didn't want this to get buried inside of an existing GPS thread, so I thought making a new one would be a good idea. (edit)In hindsight, I should've just put them in the GPS thread(edit)
Here are some Drocaps of the GPSSetup.apk on the Fascinate..

Check the name of each screen capture to see description of what screen it's under.

Thanks to boomerbubba for the tip on adding the GPSSetup.apk to the desktop as a shortcut using a 3rd party launcher.

Having a look at everything, all the stock settings match what's suggested in this link:
http://www.androidcentral.com/quick-fix-gps-issues-your-new-samsung-galaxy-s-series-phone

Last edited:

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Using the Command option in the GPS Test forced a GPS link and it was finding satellites and locking on instantly. Then if I went into Google Maps, I was located just as quickly.

Best part is, I'm in my house testing this. It should work even better outside.

I decided to ad the Command portion to my desktop so I can force a satellite connection anytime Google maps is having a problem connecting. I even assigned it a custom icon.

[tapatalk on android]

jaekim717

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
haven't gotten my fascinate so please excuse my ignorance, but is this a fix for the gps issue? this fix does not require a 3rd party app or the phone to be rooted?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Good find. Just added a custom activity shortcut with ADW Launcher and starting GPS inside of the Command screen does seem to get a lock much quicker.

haven't gotten my fascinate so please excuse my ignorance, but is this a fix for the gps issue? this fix does not require a 3rd party app or the phone to be rooted?

You don't need to be rooted but it does require a 3rd party launcher like Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher to add a shortcut to the GPSsetup.apk.

myester

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Tried the steps on the link. I dial *#*#1472365#*#* and it tells me the feature update cannot be completed. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
If you are using Launcher Pro, hold your finger down on the screen in an empty area to bring up the "add to homescreen" dialog

1.) press "shortcut"
2.) press "activities"
3.) scroll to "Gps Setup" and expand it
4.) press "Gps Setup com.samsung.GpsSetup.GpsSetup"
5.) edit the shortcut name as you choose
6.) press "ok"