Got it!

thyde76

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Got my G3 Friday. I switched from an iPhone 4S, so this is a big transition. I'm digging it so far, and I thank you all here for answering my questions and providing a lot of information that helped me with the decision of which phone to get.

I'm still working on figuring everything out, so there are going to be more questions, but I'm really liking the phone so far.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
To really make it your own try :
Nova Launcher(but have to double tap the top bar for tap off screen), I use Handscent for text with dark theme and blue and yellow bubbles, and found 360 camera to be great with the G3. And for track free browsing try Krypton browser it's pretty cool.

Enjoy!

Posted via the Android Central App

thyde76

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

There are definitely some things to get used to after being on an iPhone for years, but it's not as bad as I was led to believe. It's amazing the choices you have, which is why I think a lot of iPhone users don't like switching over. It's a smartphone, though, so the basics are there whatever you get. I guess Android just really gives you options to figure out what you like the best. That's pretty cool.

@xocomaox, I'm still very new to this, so I really have no idea what rooting is or why so many people do it or feel they need to do it. I'm a basic user, though, so I don't know if it's something I really want to do.

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Got my G3 Friday. I switched from an iPhone 4S, so this is a big transition. I'm digging it so far, and I thank you all here for answering my questions and providing a lot of information that helped me with the decision of which phone to get.

I'm still working on figuring everything out, so there are going to be more questions, but I'm really liking the phone so far.

Welcome to the forum and the Android world! Its awesome. LG g3 is an amazing phone and if you have any questions there are tons of people on here willing to help :) if you want some tips on good apps or customization let me know!

chimpboy74

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Good choice of phone. I too was an iPhone guy before my disappointment at the 5 made me consider android. I went nexus 4 as a cheap entry but once I realised how good android and it's phones were I upgraded to the g3

Infinite7154

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Back in the day you rooted a phone to give you access to things that the OEM blocked from you. Wifi-tethering was the major reason. Being able to add custom ROM(Cyonogen, Paranoid, Slim ROM to name a few) allow you to change the whole look and feel of your phone. Now with OEM skins being lighter and coming pretty close to the stock Android experience there is less need to root.

My advice is learn your phone before you make any changes. Decide if you like it the way it is or if it needs tweaking. If you want to make changes, install an app for what you want changed. If an app can't do it, install a launcher. If a launcher can't do it then looking into rooting.

Infinite7154

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

There are definitely some things to get used to after being on an iPhone for years, but it's not as bad as I was led to believe. It's amazing the choices you have, which is why I think a lot of iPhone users don't like switching over. It's a smartphone, though, so the basics are there whatever you get. I guess Android just really gives you options to figure out what you like the best. That's pretty cool.

@xocomaox, I'm still very new to this, so I really have no idea what rooting is or why so many people do it or feel they need to do it. I'm a basic user, though, so I don't know if it's something I really want to do.

Back in the day you rooted a phone to give you access to things that the OEM blocked from you. Wifi-tethering was the major reason. Being able to add custom ROM(Cyonogen, Paranoid, Slim ROM to name a few) allow you to change the whole look and feel of your phone. Now with OEM skins being lighter and coming pretty close to the stock Android experience there is less need to root.

My advice is learn your phone before you make any changes. Decide if you like it the way it is or if it needs tweaking. If you want to make changes, install an app for what you want changed. If an app can't do it, install a launcher. If a launcher can't do it then looking into rooting.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

This is good advice. You'll eventually come across a neat modification or want to do something really cool with your phone that will require you to root. When that time comes, you should definitely educate yourself on what rooting is, how it works and all the little details that come along with it. It will just make your experience a lot better if you run into issues.

Rooting an Android phone is not recommended if you don't care to learn about what you're actually doing.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I definitely would ease in. Try the google apps first eg google now launcher, google calendar, Gmail, chrome etc. These just sort of work out of the box without tinkering ... kind of like apple apps. Once you are comfortable with the phone you will naturally start to want to push it to tweak it to your needs. That's when you'll want to try other launchers or even consider rooting. I personally have never rooted. But I use apps like tasker to perform some unique functions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CsPerry