Got my Moto X in, short review

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
He's right. It's not up to par with Siri. Siri does searches and also controls the phone and apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just like in the other thread, it matters a lot on the question, "better for what?" Since they do different things, some of which the other cannot do, at varying competencies, it's a fairly subjective usage based question.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
The one key thing in my mind that separates Google Now and Siri is something that I haven't seen anyone really point out very simply and clearly. Google Now is proactive and Siri is reactive. Whereas Siri can set up appointments, launch apps, do some searches, etc., Google Now goes beyond that and pushes information to me when appropriate.

I honestly don't know, but can Siri do any of the things below that Google Now does for me?

• When I wake up, I open Google Now and it tells me what my current commute time will be to the office.
  • When I've searched for a destination earlier, Google Now will later offer that as a destination with navigation and current commute time.
  • When a package I ordered has been shipped or delivered, Google Now will tell me.
  • When a package is in transit, Google Now offers me a one-touch option to track the package.
  • When an appointment is approaching, Google Now will alert me separately from the scheduled notification in order to provide me enough transit time based on the current traffic conditions.
  • Google Now pushes score updates to me for my favorite teams without my having to go ask for updates.

So to me, it goes way beyond just voice interactions to set up an appointment or launch Facebook. Google Now is a much more complete and helpful tool than Siri. I recall the Popular Science article that named Google Now as "Innovation of the Year." Specifically, this quote:
Voice interfaces like Siri seem outdated by comparison. With Google Now, you don?t pull the phone out when an idea occurs to you. You pull it out when an idea occurs to it.
?Jacob Ward

Last edited:

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
The one key thing in my mind that separates Google Now and Siri is something that I haven't seen anyone really point out very simply and clearly. Google Now is proactive and Siri is reactive. Whereas Siri can set up appointments, launch apps, do some searches, etc., Google Now goes beyond that and pushes information to me when appropriate.

I honestly don't know, but can Siri do any of the things below that Google Now does for me?

When I wake up, I open Google Now and it tells me what my current commute time will be to the office.
  • When I've searched for a destination earlier, Google Now will later offer that as a destination with navigation and current commute time.
  • When a package I ordered has been shipped or delivered, Google Now will tell me.
  • When a package is in transit, Google Now offers me a one-touch option to track the package.
  • When an appointment is approaching, Google Now will alert me separately from the scheduled notification in order to provide me enough transit time based on the current traffic conditions.
  • Google Now pushes score updates to me for my favorite teams without my having to go ask for updates.

So to me, it goes way beyond just voice interactions to set up an appointment or launch Facebook. Google Now is a much more complete and helpful tool than Siri. I recall the Popular Science article that named Google Now as "Innovation of the Year." Specifically, this quote:

Agreed. I have used siri ever since it came out and its nice but Google now works better for me.

Posted via Android Central App

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
+1 i agree with other review but Google Now not up to par makes me laugh

Then you haven't used Siri especially the iOS 7 version. Siri does far more than Google Now including controlling many aspects of the iPhone. Google Now is also on the iPhone but I rarely use it.
People are always comparing Siri to Google Now without realizing that they are not directly comparable as they do some of the same things but also different things.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This is all in iOS 7 and some of it is in iOS 6. In iOS 7 it's a combination of Siri and background notifications. This information, much of it highly personal, is not retained by Apple and not sold to advertisers like everything you do in Google Now is. Apple's policy is if they don't retain it then they have nothing to turn over to government agencies either.

• When I wake up, I open Google Now and it tells me what my current commute time will be to the office.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This is all in iOS 7 and some of it is in iOS 6. In iOS 7 it's a combination of Siri and background notifications. This information, much of it highly personal, is not retained by Apple and not sold to advertisers like everything you do in Google Now is. Apple's policy is if they don't retain it then they have nothing to turn over to government agencies either.

apple keep siri data for 2 years just like Google now Apple confirms it keeps Siri data for up to two years (update: Google too)

and Google dont sell user data. thats what most people dont understand how google works.
They use data to show ads but they never sell the user info. have you ever had ad sense account?? I have an account https://www.google.com/adsense/app#home
No user info is revealed to me or any advertisers

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Then you haven't used Siri especially the iOS 7 version. Siri does far more than Google Now including controlling many aspects of the iPhone. Google Now is also on the iPhone but I rarely use it.
People are always comparing Siri to Google Now without realizing that they are not directly comparable as they do some of the same things but also different things.

I have used siri on iOS7 since i work on ipad app project. i work on web application for this ipad app and have few test ipad with iOS7 on it.
I test these apps on ipad regularly. I have compared siri vs google now (Nexus) and siri is still lot behind

inkmantpa

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
LOL, to each his own. I did a simple test like "find me the nearest ATM" The X pop opened sites, WTF but siri showed me in distance where the nearest one was.
The X will ask me to resend the audio alot too...

Try, "Take me to the nearest ATM" On my X, it pulls up the location to the nearest ATM's, when I click on the arrow to the right of the location I want, it pulls up Maps, with the fastest route lined in blue and a button on the bottom right to start navigation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali