Got my Moto X in, short review

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
iPhone does have an icon on the lockscreen that allows you to go directly to the camera without unlocking the phone first. Because of this I can see where the iphone could equal the Moto X in speed of 'pocket to picture'.

If you were already in the phone and in another app, the wrist flick may get you to the camera faster than other phones having to go to their home screen then selecting the camera icon.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
From pocket to picture, there's no way the iPhone is faster, or anything else for that matter. I have my camera app on my homescreen and I couldn't launch it as fast as I could with the Moto X. Not even if you're Billy the Kid.

This. I just checked out the X last night and the wrist twist worked awesome.

You're saying pressing the unlock button, swiping to unlock and pressing the camera app is quicker than two flicks of your wrist? Not a chance.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
iPhone does have an icon on the lockscreen that allows you to go directly to the camera without unlocking the phone first. Because of this I can see where the iphone could equal the Moto X in speed of 'pocket to picture'.

If you were already in the phone and in another app, the wrist flick may get you to the camera faster than other phones having to go to their home screen then selecting the camera icon.

CNET timed the Moto X and the iPhone 5 and they were dead even. One advantage the X has though is that the twist motion can be used anywhere in the OS.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd have trouble believing out of pocket to picture anything could be faster than moto X since I can start flicking my wrist immediately after it exits where the other user has to m turn it on find the icon and Swipe. Where is the video of this test? I didn't see a link.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Kris Prince

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd have trouble believing out of pocket to picture anything could be faster than moto X since I can start flicking my wrist immediately after it exits where the other user has to m turn it on find the icon and Swipe. Where is the video of this test? I didn't see a link.

You don't have to fully unlock the phone and fine the app. There is a quick launcher where you swipe up and it opens the camera. I tried the moto x in store for first time before buying Moto X Card and got it he first time... doesn't matter time, it feels faster. you can click anywhere and there are no button presses or swipes.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Exactly.

Process for the iPhone:
- Push specific screen-on button.
- Tap and swipe specific camera app icon.
- Tap specific shutter button.

Process for Moto X:
- Michael J. Fox your phone a bit.
- Tap anywhere on the screen.

I mean, come on. You can do it with your eyes closed if you want.

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.

Process for the iPhone:
- Push specific screen-on button.
- Tap and swipe specific camera app icon.
- Tap specific shutter button.

Process for Moto X:
- Michael J. Fox your phone a bit.
- Tap anywhere on the screen.

I mean, come on. You can do it with your eyes closed if you want.

The picture will be crap....or maybe this will lead a revolution in photography.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I really don't think it matters if one is a few milliseconds slower than the other.. If you're in that much of a rush its gonna be a crap photo anyways. Logic tells me that the moto x would be faster than the iPhone though

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

GNexROC

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Take any more pics? I want to get this phone so bad but the camera is looking like a deal breaker. It doesn't have to be the best camera. Buy it can't be a total piece of junk camera or be a downgrade from my GNex camera.

Common Motorola! Fire your camera team and bring in new people. The Droid cameras sucked. The Droid HD cameras were equally crappy. And now the new line of Droids and the Moto X has suspect cameras. I don't care how fast the camera shoots. Just make it take good pics!

I don't know what to do now. I want to get rid of my aging Gnex but I'm not buying an iPhone. I can't take Touchwiz so I'm not buying an S4. I really just don't like the HTC One that much for several reasons. I'm on Verizon so I can't get the Google edition S4 or I would. I can't get the Moto X because the camera is junk. All I want is a phone with good radios, that runs stock Android or close to it, with a decent camera. Is that really too much to ask? Please Nexus 5, have a good camera and be available on Verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
All I want is a phone with good radios, that runs stock Android or close to it, with a decent camera. Is that really too much to ask? Please Nexus 5, have a good camera and be available on Verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Considering how bad the Gnex camera is (I know I have one to). The Moto X even on it's worst day would still be a better camera than the Gnex. Now i'm waiting for them to offer MotoMaker on Tmo and i'm a buying. I did the same colors as the op today except for the front being black. Have to say it looks nice.

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Just for the record, in good lighting, the phone can take really great pics. Just inconsistent is all.

anotherfiz

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
The camera isnt bad - It just could be better. I get the feeling with the first software update it will get better, too.

regarding CNET's speed test, their methodology was flawed. They timed camera unlock with both phones out of pocket already. If the phone is in your pocket, you can twist your wrist as you're bringing the moto X up to take the picture in one motion, and you don't have to press any buttons. There is no physical way this could be slower than turning on your phone and clicking a button, because one requires you to stop and acknowledge the screen and one does not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred