GPS down?

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm in NY and my gps hasn't been able to connect all day. It just sits there searching. Even GPS Test can't get a lock. Anybody else??

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Me too. Didn't really think anything of it cause I was in a crappy area

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine is bad too. I'm in New York and it keeps telling me I'm Spain.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Valdealgorfa by chance? That's where it has had me all day. Did a search on it and it turned up a thread dealing with the same subject. A bunch of people from NY discussing how thier smartphone showed them in Valdealgorfa, Spain. Must be something with Verizons towers. My gps still won't lock in. I'm upstate.

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Nassau county Long Island and my GPS has been fine all day. (rooted). Wife's phone is fine and working also. (stock).

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
No, Laluenga, Spain. At first I was thinking the problem was with Verizon, but if I turn off google location and leave gps and Verizon location services then my location is accurate.

jerfel

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I was in Wurtsboro, NY Fri and Sat morning, the phone thought I was in Spain. I'm back on Staten Island, the phone has the location correct but navigation is still not working.

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I too can't connect , I'm in Little Valley, NY . . and have been in Spain , Laluenga Aragon... for the past 3 days.. even did a full Reset and that didn't fix any of my location issues... grrrrrr... what is happening to verizon's network... and my phone just started rebooting too.. twice now in two days also, i'm not rooted but i do have the MR2 release... what the heck is going on... ???

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I wish people would state if they have a location service issue, or a GPS issue.
Obviously, all 28 (?) or so GPS satellites didn't fall out of the sky, so GPS didn't suddenly quit working.
But Google and Verizon location services on the other hand are a different animal. I assume that everyone is talking about location services, NOT GPS.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I wish people would state if they have a location service issue, or a GPS issue.
Obviously, all 28 (?) or so GPS satellites didn't fall out of the sky, so GPS didn't suddenly quit working.
But Google and Verizon location services on the other hand are a different animal. I assume that everyone is talking about location services, NOT GPS.

I was thinking the same thing, I don't think GPS will ever "go down", your phone's GPS might go down but the actual service will never go down. Too much relies on it these days and it has very redundant coverage.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue for a couple days now. Location services are one thing, but total GPS outage is another. It seems to be mostly NY customers that are affected. Your phone can generally get an idea of where you are (cell site ID or WIFI ID), but when it comes to actually getting a GPS lock - independent of cell site or wifi - we're all pretty stuck up **** creek.

Lurking other forums seems to say that Verizon is aware of the issue and is passing the blame on to Google, relating it to the recent maps update. I have a buddy with a T-Bolt and the same issue as well as my O.G. Incredible and several other VZW Droid phones.

I've done the GPS Test apps, clearing and reseting my A-GPS state, even went back to total stock with no resolution.

I can only assume that time will tell what happens. That being said, that amount of time can be reduced by making quite a bit of noise.

Rochester, NY.

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

It's both. The gps is not picking up my current location, so the verizon and google location services are saying based on my wifi and cell tower location, I am in Spain.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Also in rochester NY Called up Verizon and they said it was a Google issue. So Lets hope Google can get this fixed soon I miss my google navigation.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing, I don't think GPS will ever "go down", your phone's GPS might go down but the actual service will never go down. Too much relies on it these days and it has very redundant coverage.

Of course the actual GPS system is not down, that would be huge national news, not just a couple of threads on cell phone forums. I think it is pretty obvious that when people are saying GPS is down they are talking about it not working on their phones. Mine has not worked correctly for the last few days either, but my car GPS is just fine....

Hopefully Big Red and/or Google gets their act together sooner rather than later. And it is interesting that this just seems to be in issue in a section of NY...

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that no one believes its the actual GNSS Constellation that is inoperative. Pretty much only their cell phones' capability of receiving the time code signal and interpreting it for the purposes of a position fix.

As far as showing up in Spain and what not, the 4G cell site ID has been ****ed for quite a while. When I first picked up my Bolt it would show me off in Vladavolstok and such places where I could not afford the roaming chargers/not expect 4G service. A simple position lock in maps usually fixed that.

kwyjibohunter

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list. I'm in Orange county NY and gps has been down since Thursday night.

me too, noticed the problem last night, but it seems to have fixed itself this afternoon. Although, I wasn't getting Spain, my gps thought I was stuck at the tolls near the woodbury commons for 24 hours (which is entirely possible)