GPS Help

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I am having a problem locking my GPS... I have rooted and EB01.

If I go directly into Google Nav or even through Maps, I have waited as long as 10 minutes and still do not get a lock.

If I use GPS Test first... SOMETIMES it will lock with in a few minutes or so (about 25% of the time). It RARELY locks within a minute... maybe 1 out of 10, tops.

Is there a fix for this? Is there something else I should be doing? Or do I pretty much have to just accept that the GPS on the SF sucks.

Thanks for any advice!

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Goto your settings, then goto your Location & Security settings, and make sure that your VZW Service is checked as well as stand alone GPS, as far as I know, VZW gives the GPS a Rough estimate of where its already at, allowing for a quicker lock on. And if your indoors, or under a roof of a car, odds are you wont get that great of a connection, its not the phones fault, its just the radio waves used by gps sat's dont penetrate materials well. So if its cloudy enough sometimes you can have a clear view of the sky and still not get a signal because the clouds are too thick. So if your trying to use it with your car, make sure your phones on your dash and not on your lap.

GaryA

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine is box stock. Only have "Stand Alone" checked.
If mine gets slow to lock, I power off and back on and then it will be an almost instant lock. Seems to need to do that every few days.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Goto your settings, then goto your Location & Security settings, and make sure that your VZW Service is checked as well as stand alone GPS, as far as I know, VZW gives the GPS a Rough estimate of where its already at, allowing for a quicker lock on. And if your indoors, or under a roof of a car, odds are you wont get that great of a connection, its not the phones fault, its just the radio waves used by gps sat's dont penetrate materials well. So if its cloudy enough sometimes you can have a clear view of the sky and still not get a signal because the clouds are too thick. So if your trying to use it with your car, make sure your phones on your dash and not on your lap.

Tried all of that... even just now. It is a beautiful sunny day out here in FLA, not a cloud in the sky...

standing outside... nothing. Maps only got accurate to 2700 meters, GPS wont lock, GPS Test only found 2 satelites (0 in use)

This is frustrating... please help!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Tried all of that... even just now. It is a beautiful sunny day out here in FLA, not a cloud in the sky...

standing outside... nothing. Maps only got accurate to 2700 meters, GPS wont lock, GPS Test only found 2 satelites (0 in use)

This is frustrating... please help!

try the DL09 modem. just flash with odin

Modems
Download DL09 from HERE
If it doesnt help you can go back to EB01 modem
Download EB01 from HERE

Reactions: JOrtenzi

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
try the DL09 modem. just flash with odin

Modems
Download DL09 from HERE
If it doesnt help you can go back to EB01 modem
Download EB01 from HERE

DroidXcon... thanks for the tip... and also thank you for the amazing write up on installing Froyo, I just flashed 2.6sc last night and love it...

Question though... if I flash the DL09 modem, will it affect the 2.6sc that I am running now?

I'm very new to all of this and am learning as I go... thanks again

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
DroidXcon... thanks for the tip... and also thank you for the amazing write up on installing Froyo, I just flashed 2.6sc last night and love it...

Question though... if I flash the DL09 modem, will it affect the 2.6sc that I am running now?

I'm very new to all of this and am learning as I go... thanks again

No it wont effect it, they are in seperate partitions,,,and compatibility has been tested by others and its ok

and thank you

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
thanks... I will give it a try when I get home...

will I be losing performance going back to DL09 though? If so, I think I would much rather just keep EB01.

What are the major differences between the two? Once again, I am really new, so please excuse my questions if they seem really obvious!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
thanks... I will give it a try when I get home...

will I be losing performance going back to DL09 though? If so, I think I would much rather just keep EB01.

What are the major differences between the two? Once again, I am really new, so please excuse my questions if they seem really obvious!

no idea ,,,but people have reported getting better GPS lock with DL09,,,if you see worse performance just flash back. shouldnt be that serious if i cant give you an answer though

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ray in MA