Green screen when playing videos.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Good day to you all,
I have been facing a certain problem with my new phone (Meizu 7 pro plus) which is basically a green screen while playing online videos. So far the green screen appeared in both Facebook and YouTube. But not in downloaded videos. I bought the phone a week ago and it is still under warranty. Is this issue easy to fix? Or should I just hand it back to be repaired.
The green screen doesn't appear all the time. Sometimes it appeared half way through a video.
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is this with the actual Facebook and YouTube apps, or are you accessing those sites via the browser?

What Android version is it running? It could be a problem with Android System Webview. If it's not up to date, then updating it might help. Conversely, sometimes the Webview update causes glitches with certain devices, so if it is up to date, it's worth uninstalling its updates to see if that helps.

On Android versions 7 through 9, Chrome actually handles Android System Webview, so assuming phone has one of these versions, then update Chrome if it hasn't been. If it's already updated and the problem persists, then try uninstalling all Chrome updates.

bshote

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the pictures! Javier P!
Developer option in not enabled.
The problem is with the actual apps themselves and I'm running on Android 7.0. I checked the apps section (where you can uninstall) and I couldn't find Android System Webview.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you'll notice, I mentioned in my previous post that in Android 7, Chrome handles the webview function. So if Chrome isn't up to date, make sure it's updated. Conversely, if it is already updated and the problem is happening, try uninstalling all Chrome updates (assuming Chrome was preinstalled on the phone).

bshote

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
I tried reinstalling chrome and even deleting it. But it didn't work at all. Chrome is preinstalled. I checked play store for Android WebView but it showed me that it is disabled.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android System Webview is disabled by default in Android 7 through 9, since Chrome is handling the Webview function. I think there might be a way in Developer Options to force Android System Webview to handle it instead of Chrome (or you could Disable Chrome in Settings>Apps, which I think will make Android System Webview enabled), but that would mean installing another 3rd party browser.

Does this happen in Safe Mode as well? How to turn on safe mode on Meizu PRO 5. You can only test preinstalled app, but I'm assuming YouTube is preinstalled at least.

bshote

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
Update: For some reason the glitch resumed.
Chrome can't be disabled, it can only be forced to stop. So is for the installation, it can uninstall update.
Tried the safe mode thing and the glitch didn't stop.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, frustrating. The fact that it persists in Safe Mode suggests an issue with the firmware (less likely hardware). I'd try a factory reset, and if that doesn't work, then contact Meizu to see if this would be a warranty issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, start from the beginning. Is this only happening with streaming videos, or also locally saved video files? Which apps are you using? Does your phone have Google services preinstalled, or did you have to install them yourself? Have you already tried uninstalling all updates from Android System Webview and/or Chrome?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza