[GSM][NEXUS S][ICS 4.0.4] ICS 4.0.4 Update Available

jomcty

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I finally got my OTA ICS v4.0.4 update last night for my Nexus S i9020T which was running a manually installed ICS v4.0.3.

Contacts and Phone app launch faster, still exploring the update.

Zapped

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm another Tmo Nexus S owner who had manually installed ICS 4.0.3 when it was first available back in December 2011. Two days ago (Mon Apr 2 2012) I got an automatic update to ICS 4.0.4. Yesterday I saw that Google+ was the biggest battery user & since I don't use it I disabled it, because I wasn't allowed to uninstall it.

Since disabling Google+ I've been surprised that the built-in Gallery application is the largest drain reported by on my Battery status page. This morning the phone has been unplugged for about 2.5hrs, and Gallery is at 69%. Next is Wifi at 7%, Cell standby at 6%, Screen at 6%, then Android System, Phone, and Android OS all at 3% each.

I never use the Gallery since I prefer QuickPic. But I can't disable or uninstall Gallery, and if I Force Stop it I'll still see it running when I check a few minutes later. I checked my three Gmail accounts under Gallery Settings and none of them are set to sync - Sync is OFF for all three Gmail accounts in Gallery.

Since it's the most obvious explanation, I'm guessing that disable Google+ has caused a problem with Gallery, but my battery drain will be bad again if I re-enable Google+. Anyone else seeing this sort of thing with ICS 4.0.4?

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Nope, not having any battery drain issues. I had a lot of drain when ICS was first pushed, but it's been better as of late even before the update to 4.0.4. Since 4.0.4 the battery rate has been pretty close to my Ginger bread days. I still have 30%-40% left after 18 hours.

I see idle/wifi and sometimes Maps as the big drainers.

acithium

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I got tired of waiting so I just installed the factory image. It was an interesting process, but everything seems to be working.

-Acithi

masterblaster2012

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey, skatedaddy, which carrier are you with? I live in England and have a stock Nexus S not locked to any carrier but with a locked bootloader and non-rooted. I updated to 4.03 at Xmas. Now I want to update OTA. Did you do it via Wifi?

If you have a different carrier (I'm currently on 3, but phone will work with any UK carrier) I may get a PAYG sime with data just to download the update.

Thanks for your help.

Iain

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS. Do you still have the OTA zip on your memory card? Would you be able to share via FTP or dropbox?

masterblaster2012

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else in the UK has a 4.04 OTA update for Nexus S? If so, who was your carrier?

I'm currently on 3, but no joy!

Thank you

Iain :D

Nexus S (carrier unlocked)
Locked Bootloader, non-rooted
Running 4.03 OTA update

masterblaster2012

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
If I cnt download the OTA update I'm thinking of gflashing the factory image for 4.04. As I'm in the UK, will this be alright? I'm worried that it's an american image and the radio etc will be different. I'm afraid I know very little about phones and firmware so thought I'd check with guys here first.

Acithium (above) says he/she flashed with th factory image and all was OK. I just can't tell if they are in the UK.

Thanks for your help. Sorry about the rash of posts but I cant PM anyone directly (preferred option) until I've done five. :D

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
The updates dont come from the carrier. They come from Google. Ive gotten updates over wifi and with no SIM installed.

It takes a few weeks for it to roll to everyone.

dobiegillis

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I no longer use my Nexus S as my primary phone but checked last week and there was no OTA. I turned it on today planning to try to figure out how to manually do the update but low and behold it notified me of the OTA for 4.0.4 so its updating right now. Can't wait to try it out and hope I don't have any glitches!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fufukadan120