[Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy Nexus

Spoon

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy N

fyi stock rooted with CMW 5.5.0.4 still having the android robot with red exclamation.

i flash CMW via Rom manager. reboot into recovery via rom manager. then it works. but i need to always flash CMW first.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

fyi stock rooted with CMW 5.5.0.4 still having the android robot with red exclamation.

i flash CMW via Rom manager. reboot into recovery via rom manager. then it works. but i need to always flash CMW first.

Not sure.. Koush claims this problem was fixed with 5.5.0.4. Follow the steps in the info box on page two to fix the problem.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

This may be a noob question but the OG Droid that I had before had a 16gb removable sd card - my new galaxy nexus does not have a removable card.

If I install a custom rom and wipe dalvik cache, clear all user data, wipe cache partition, etc... will I also lose my nandroid backup since all the data on the nexus resides on internal memory? Or will I not have an issue?

The reason I ask is because I lost some photos and videos when I unlocked the bootloader on my phone and I don't want to go through that again.

Thanks!

Only unlocking the bootloader wipes the internal storage. Once the bootloader is unlocked and the phone is rooted... you do not need to worry about that anymore. .... when wiping data in ClockworkMod Recovery to flash a ROM... the internal storage (photos, music, etc...) will NOT be deleted.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I'm trying to do a nand restore but CMW isn't seeing my backup files in either the app or actual recovery. I've never seen this before and don't know how to resolve it. After step 4 of the restore tutorial it just says 'cannot locate file' or something. Any ideas?

Yea.... same thing happened to me. Like you... I have never seen this before and I'm trying to figure it out myself. I'm still testing out a few theories but worse case scenario, we have the stock images to return the phone back to stock in the sticky provided by gbhil.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...1360-factory-images-verizon-galaxy-nexus.html

luckyrice21

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Hey Cyber, I did what your green post said to reflash CWM and rename file in root explorer and everything. However, whenever I go to boot recovery it still does the same thing! Exclamation mark. How do I prevent this from happening again?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

make sure that file is named correctly and that you check RW/RO. Also follow the steps in the exact order... I'm guessing you may have not hit Read/Write before renaming the file or didn't reboot in between the steps.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Verizon is CDMA and the only dumb question is one not asked ;)

jate322

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the guide but I hace one question. Hope this is not a stupid question. How wil this backup be saved/stored? Will it be lost when wiping data? My DX had a SD card to store backups on my GNex does not.

Thanks again - you rock!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

If you mean before you unlock the bootloader... then you would need to transfer your stuff over to your computer. There's no externel SD card but when you hook the phone up to the computer... the internal storage is recognized as a disc drive, same as a SD card would.

amgala

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for this write-up. Some ROMs require the the following steps:

1) Wipe data/Factory reset
2) Format /System under Mounts And Storage
3) Flash ROM

Do you know what step 2 does? Would we be able to do this from CWM? I would imagine so, because it doesn't make sense to me to do a factory reset, boot the phone, format /System, then again load CWM and install the ROM.

One ROM that requires this for example:
||ROM| |AXI0M v2.1 | |LKEXPV2 KERNEL | |12/26/2011|

Edit: Cyber Warrior, I see that you are actually running AXI0M 2.1 on your phone...did you follow that step?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for this write-up. Some ROMs require the the following steps:

1) Wipe data/Factory reset
2) Format /System under Mounts And Storage
3) Flash ROM

Do you know what step 2 does? Would we be able to do this from CWM? I would imagine so, because it doesn't make sense to me to do a factory reset, boot the phone, format /System, then again load CWM and install the ROM.

One ROM that requires this for example:
||ROM| |AXI0M v2.1 | |LKEXPV2 KERNEL | |12/26/2011|

Edit: Cyber Warrior, I see that you are actually running AXI0M 2.1 on your phone...did you follow that step?

Yes... you can get away without doing it but might as well go by the devs instructions.

So.. you would
Boot into recovery (CWM)
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Wipe dalvik cache
Mount system
Install from SD card
Choose zip from SD card
Pick AXI0M
When done loading... reboot phone.

farbster

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Once you flash the new ROM, what do you need to do to your phone? do you need to reinstall your apps? Enter gmail addresses again for it to load your emails etc? What about your pics? Do you do anything so that they show up? Or does it work automatically?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Once you flash the new ROM, what do you need to do to your phone? do you need to reinstall your apps? Enter gmail addresses again for it to load your emails etc? What about your pics? Do you do anything so that they show up? Or does it work automatically?

Flashing a custom ROM will not wipe the internal storage (pics, music, videos, etc... are safe)

Apps will need to be re-installed. They're saved to your Gmail/Google account and will be stored in the Market (free apps will not be saved.. You will need to find them and redownload them.... only paid apps will be saved. Download "MyBackup Pro"... It will back up all of your apps/data and phone settings including bookmarks, alarms, call logs, SMS messages, etc... which will make setting up the phone again a lot easier. Just don't ever backup or restore "System Settings".

Basic rundown of what's involved.
Download MyBackup Pro for root users and backup apps to sd card... Then make another backup of data (SMS messages, call logs, etc) ... to sd card.

Make a Nandroid backup of your stock ROM.
Flash the new custom ROM.

Sign back into your phone with your Gmail account and go through the initial setup process... same as when you first got the phone.

Go to the market and redownload MyBackup Pro. Go into the app and select restore... choose the option for apps from SD card. All of your apps and app data will be restored (apks + data)
Then go back to restore and select "data". All of your messages, bookmarks, etc... will be restored. Make sure you NEVER restore "system settings".

Your phone will now be back to the way it was... with the new ROM.

Reactions: Montclair

farbster

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Is MyBackup Pro better than Titanium backup? I've used Titanium (free) for a full backup, but haven't flashed any ROMs yet. Seemed like a good idea to do a backup anyway.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Is MyBackup Pro better than Titanium backup? I've used Titanium (free) for a full backup, but haven't flashed any ROMs yet. Seemed like a good idea to do a backup anyway.

I use both... at one point I only use to use Titanium but found that MyBackup is more user friendly so I always recommend that for beginners. I find it simpler to use... so now I use Mybackup for backing up apps and data and use Titanium for freezing/deleting unwanted apps.

Reactions: Hondo_Lane