[Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy Nexus

bertowski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy N

Thank you for the guide. It's nice to see solid community support like this for rooting and tinkering.

I did run into a problem during the beginning that would not allow booting into CWM recovery. I kept getting a red exclamation mark. I dug around the forum and renaming or deleting "/system/boot-from-recovery.p" fixed the problem.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I use both... at one point I only use to use Titanium but found that MyBackup is more user friendly so I always recommend that for beginners. I find it simpler to use... so now I use Mybackup for backing up apps and data and use Titanium for freezing/deleting unwanted apps.

I see that My Backup Pro is on sale for $2.99. I use Titanium Backup but may give MBP a try for 3 bucks.

Sent using Tapatalk

NateDizzy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for writing this. It helped answer all my questions and held my hand through my first Rom flashing.

Nate

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I too want to say thank you for writing this. I am glad I read the comments - all of the comments - first BEFORE flashing a new ROM (for the first time). Now I know about the Backup Pro step.

I got the green dead robot also. I read on another board (before I read the 5 pages of comments) that if you performed step 1 of your instructions, i.e., "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery", for a second time, for some reason this fixes it. And it did - for me. I think it had to do with some interaction with the Superuser app. But I am still not sure what that app even is so far. A lot to learn.

Thanks again for the guide and comment replies.

Adam

schnyd

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Question: since the galaxy nexus doesn't have an SD card how are people going about saving backups and roms thru a full wipe. Is offloading to a PC the only option?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Question: since the galaxy nexus doesn't have an SD card how are people going about saving backups and roms thru a full wipe. Is offloading to a PC the only option?

When you initiate a wipe the /sdcard partition is left intact.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

I couldn't find an answer to this in this thread so far. After I install a new ROM, can I install all my MODS immediately too or do I need to reboot, clear cache/dalvik and then install the MODS? If I have to reboot after installing a ROM, can I install all the MODS back to back or do I need to reboot/clear cache in between each installation?

Also have another issue with ClockworkMod. When I used the volume buttons to scroll up and down, sometimes it jumps around instead of just scrolling one by one. And if that happens too much, i'll see a message that says "menu button disabled". so when i hit the power button, nothing will happen. i then have to scroll up and down a bunch of times to get the menu button enabled again. not a huge deal, but a slight pain when trying to install a new ROM or MOD.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I couldn't find an answer to this in this thread so far. After I install a new ROM, can I install all my MODS immediately too or do I need to reboot, clear cache/dalvik and then install the MODS? If I have to reboot after installing a ROM, can I install all the MODS back to back or do I need to reboot/clear cache in between each installation?

Also have another issue with ClockworkMod. When I used the volume buttons to scroll up and down, sometimes it jumps around instead of just scrolling one by one. And if that happens too much, i'll see a message that says "menu button disabled". so when i hit the power button, nothing will happen. i then have to scroll up and down a bunch of times to get the menu button enabled again. not a huge deal, but a slight pain when trying to install a new ROM or MOD.

Let the phone reboot after installing a ROM.. then go back and do the mods. For the mods... you can use the option "reboot recovery" in CWM. It does a quick reboot and brings you right back into CWM... its designed for back to back flashing. I wouldn't use it after flashing a ROM though... I tried and ended up with missing soft keys... had to reflash the ROM.
Install ROM
Reboot phone
Boot into CWM Recovery
Wipe dalvik/cache
Install Mod
Use Reboot Recovery
Wipe dalvik/cache
Install Mod
Reboot phone.

I noticed the same problem with the volume buttons jumping around and disabling the back selection... I was pulling the battery when that happened though.. its good to know that if you keep messing with it that it comes back.. that should save me a lot of time.. thanks :) Not sure why that's happening... you could probably fix it by uninstalling/reinstalling ROM Manager and deleting the clockworkmod folder (backup your stuff first) from your storage and then reflashing Recovery through ROM Manager again..... I haven't gotten around to trying that yet though so if you decide to try it and it works.. post your results.

Reactions: trmoney24

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

i actually install clockworkmod using your steps from this post. i've never used rom manager to install anything. since you noticed it as well, might just be a bug.
and yes to fix the back button issue just keep scrolling around and it will switch back up.

thanks for the MOD instructions. that will def save me time on my next ROM install.

Mudbuster87

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

I unlocked the boot loader and installed clockworkmod onto my phone. I done the K04 antenna update before and was fine with that. Well tonight I tried to install the Codename 1.0.1 MOD out of the ROM Manager. I followed the steps that you have posted but it is staying on the boot up screen *kaleidoscope looking screen* and it won't go off of that. Been there for 20 minutes now. What did I do wrong?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I unlocked the boot loader and installed clockworkmod onto my phone. I done the K04 antenna update before and was fine with that. Well tonight I tried to install the Codename 1.0.1 MOD out of the ROM Manager. I followed the steps that you have posted but it is staying on the boot up screen *kaleidoscope looking screen* and it won't go off of that. Been there for 20 minutes now. What did I do wrong?

Did you download the right link? There's two links for 1.0.1. One is a full ROM.. which is what you want. The other is a patch for 1.0.1 that gets applied over version 1.0.0. Check and see which link you used to download.

Reactions: Mudbuster87

Mudbuster87

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

That was my problem, I was trying to install just the MOD that was the update instead of installing the full ROM. Thanks for pointing out simple download mistake.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

That was my problem, I was trying to install just the MOD that was the update instead of installing the full ROM. Thanks for pointing out simple download mistake.

Hope you made a nandroid backup of the stock ROM.. chances are you can't boot your phone up right now. Pull the battery... power back on holding Volume Up + Volume Down + the power button and hold until you get to recovery. Select recovery... install from SD card.. clockworkmod... backup... and flash your backup that you made.

Mudbuster87

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes I flashed my backup already. Phone booted back up. Now waiting for the full version of Codename v1.0.1 to download and then going to install full version instead of just the MOD.

mjt1265

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Hey Cyber first of all thanks for the guide it is awesome!

Second what happened to the list of ROMs? It appears you were going to put one in but didnt? Maybe you know where I could find a list or do I just need to search the forums?

Also Im wondering where all the themes are? I came from a fascinate and there was a huge list of themes and ROMs available for flashing all in one sticky, maybe we can get something like that going here?

Again I really appreciate all you have already done this is an amazingly easy to follow guide and I have found it very helpful.

helmdawg

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site

Hi all, I am trying to flash the code name rom. However, every time I try to reboot into recovery through rom manager, I get the android guy laying down with the red exclamation point in his stomach... Has this happened to anyone? If so, what did you do to fix? Thanks

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Hi all, I am trying to flash the code name rom. However, every time I try to reboot into recovery through rom manager, I get the android guy laying down with the red exclamation point in his stomach... Has this happened to anyone? If so, what did you do to fix? Thanks

Yea... info is on page 2.

Reactions: helmdawg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca