[GUIDE] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

hmishima

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Mr. Smith -

Just wanted to thank you for putting this together.

I'd been plagued by 120 degree temps(when playing Cut the Rope or other games) and awful battery life. I was going to wait until the next OTA, but I just didn't want to risk the temps anymore, so I bit the bullet and decided to go with your guide.

I usually have something go wrong with anything I do, but not this time. Everything went off without a hitch. I was just going to unlock and root and run stock, but then I thought, "why go this far and not try a ROM?" so I loaded the Venom Rom...again without a hitch.

In short, fantastic guide, thanks for your contribution to the community.

Thank you!

jkslater3

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the guide Mr. Smith, I'd be completely lost without it. I have a very noobish question for you though - when I initially download the Android SDK Manager, which APIs do I need to install? I went ahead and installed the 4.0.3 and 4.0 stuff. Here's a screen shot - am I on the right track or are there files still missing that I need? Thanks!
asdk screenshot.png

RazorDroid

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks MrSmith317 for the great guide! I have 1 quick question for you. This is my first time using AmonRa recovery, and went to do a NAND backup, but there are options on what you can back up. My question is, what all do I need to back up, and what can I get away with not backing up? Thanks.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks MrSmith317 for the great guide! I have 1 quick question for you. This is my first time using AmonRa recovery, and went to do a NAND backup, but there are options on what you can back up. My question is, what all do I need to back up, and what can I get away with not backing up? Thanks.

Personally I would suggest leaving the default options. The only thing you can really do without is the kernel.. That's because a non-s-off'ed phone will not be able to flash the kernel from the backup.

RazorDroid

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm ready to attempt s-off, which version of JPBEAR do I need to run if I'm HTC unlocked, rooted, and on the stock OTA ICS update?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jperiod

May 11, 2010
Visit site
A question about rooting. After I have unlocked the phone., if I am going to flash a ROM that is rooted such as Nils business sense, do I need to root the phone first, or can I just flash the ROM in AmonRa recovery and this will give me root.

Thanks
Jperiod

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Can someone clarify if the instructions at the beginning of this thread are still valid? They provide a link to HTC drivers, but the link is no longer active. I've been trying to root my Rezound all day (trying a number of different approaches found on the web) and keep hitting roadblocks. If these instructions are outdated, can someone here please direct to me something current. Thanks!

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Can someone clarify if the instructions at the beginning of this thread are still valid? They provide a link to HTC drivers, but the link is no longer active. I've been trying to root my Rezound all day (trying a number of different approaches found on the web) and keep hitting roadblocks. If these instructions are outdated, can someone here please direct to me something current. Thanks!

They are. You can use this link for drivers: http://mypcdominion.com/Files/android/ROM_Tools/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe

The original link was to HTC's site and honestly I don't maintain this thread much since everything is still the same as when I wrote the OP. If you have questions feel free to PM me or look me up on gtalk.

housetiger77

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
When I try to launch Eclipse from the ADT Bundle it gives me an error that says "Failed to load the JNI shared library C:\DevSuiteHome_4\jdk\jr\bin\client\jvm.dll". What is that? The DevSuiteHome_4 is a folder for some Oracle applications I have.

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I see in this stickie that you suggest flashing a super user file. You are going to laugh at me when I ask you what is flashing and how do I do that Mr. Smith?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

mike7728

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I see in this stickie that you suggest flashing a super user file. You are going to laugh at me when I ask you what is flashing and how do I do that Mr. Smith?

I'm not Mr.smith,but flashing is when u put a .zip file on the root of your sd card and load into hboot or recovery and load ota ruu's or roms onto your system.
Ps...not laughing,we all started just like u.atleast u ask questions...
SENT FROM MY S-OFF HTC REZOUND RUNNING VIPERREZ

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Well I didn't know squat going into this. And I now I only have more questions. But I did unlock my phone, root it, relocked it, flashed the leaked ruu, unlocked again and rerooted. Thanks to Mr Smith 317 for his patience. Now I'm getting ready to flash a room and I don't want to assume anything here. So for the leaked ruu I changed the image file name to PH98IMG.zip. First question is: Do I rename the new ROM the same way before I flash? Second question: what are the steps for flashing a kernel? Will it be similar to flashing the su zip file that Mr Smith sent me?

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I am having a little trouble with the rooting process. I keep getting this error error: cannot load '..\recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img' after putting: C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools>Fastboot flashrecovery ..\recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img in Command Line on my pc. Is there something that I am missing? I have unlocked my phone and have ICS on it. Any help would be great.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe