[GUIDE/VIDEO] Root Gingerbread on your Incredible 2 (2.3.3 ONLY!)

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Root Gingerbread on your Incredible 2

Hell yeah, appreciate everything you do for us new guys!

Expect it maybe sometime Friday. :)
I want to unroot again to try to lessen the steps, I have class most of tomorrow so hopefully I can get something together in the next day or two.

Just know unrooting revolutionary and returning your S-ON is possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoshB410

kawikid1425

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Ok i still can't load superuser! Here is what is happening when i try and install zip from sd card using revolutionary- E:Can't open /sdcard/su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip (bad) Installation aborted
Know i tryed flashing newer and older versions and su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed/ but when you choose them in revolutionary it gives you 2 options? META-INF or system/ and when i try to use either off those files the error message says no files found? Did i screw up flashing those into revolutionary?
When you look at my list off items in revolutionary reboot screen i have 3 different su files, i have
su-2.3.1 bin-signed.zip
su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed/
su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed/
The bottom 2 option don't say zip after them so i must have done something wrong. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Im not sure on the proper way to flash a file into the revolutionary program.

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

Ok i still can't load superuser! Here is what is happening when i try and install zip from sd card using revolutionary- E:Can't open /sdcard/su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip (bad) Installation aborted
Know i tryed flashing newer and older versions and su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed/ but when you choose them in revolutionary it gives you 2 options? META-INF or system/ and when i try to use either off those files the error message says no files found? Did i screw up flashing those into revolutionary?

When you say you're trying to flash them in Revolutionary you mean the black screen with blue lettering? It should say "Revolutionary" in the background.

When you look at my list off items in revolutionary reboot screen i have 3 different su files, i have
su-2.3.1 bin-signed.zip
su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed/
su-2.3.2-efgh-bin-signed/

The bottom 2 option don't say zip after them so i must have done something wrong. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Im not sure on the proper way to flash a file into the revolutionary program.

The bottom two were probably folders you mistakenly created by unzipping the .zip files.

First delete ALL instances of superuser from your SD card, anything that says "su-2.x.x", whether it's a zip, or a folder or anything on the first level of the SD card.
Download THIS one, I just flashed it last night myself. Do not unzip that file, but place it directly on the SD.
Reboot into the screen with blue text on the black background (ClockworkMod), and select to clear your data and cache, do so.
Now go to flash zip from SD, then select the "su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip"

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

How To video added to guide.

I'm working on simplifying the unrooting process a bit more before finishing the guide.

chshrkt

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE/VIDEO] Root Gingerbread on your Incredible 2

Eagerly awaiting this guide before I step in the Rooting waters.

Thank you to all the HTC gurus for helping us newbies out.

syedriz

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

its been a week since iv been trying to some how istall CWM on my verizon locked DI2..i cant access anything on the phone besides the activation and emergency dialler.....on the bootloader i can see:
VIVO_W XB SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-0.97.0000
RADIO- 0.99.01.0225_2
eMMC-boot

iv used revolutionary-0.4pre4 works fine till the CWM installation and it fails as usual and directs to manually istall it

followed the manual installation method installed the android sdk n the drivers n placed the recovery img in the adb folder...opened the command prompt typed adb devices with the phone in HBOOT displaying HBOOT USB..i get

D:\adb>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

D:\adb>

followed by this i go for the command fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (i renamed the IMG file as recovery)...then i get

D:\adb>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
< waiting for device >
sending 'recovery' (3696 KB)... OKAY [ 1.190s]
writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 1.192s

D:\adb>

Well..after this...i tried the zip file method ..i made a zip file containing android-info.txt and recovery.img ..the txt file containing

modelid: PG3210000
cidnum: VZW__001
mainver: 2.18.605.3
hbootpreupdate:12

named the zip file PG32IMG.zip placed it in the root of SD card rebooted it into bootloader....something installed....it rebooted and then i connected my phone back n placed the super user file su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip on root of the sd card and placed the PG32IMG.zip in another folder...back to bootloader nothing happend..tried to go for RECOVERY hoping CW mode will start but all it does is display the green HTC logo with a white backgroud ..its doing the same thing when i go for factory reset in the bootloader!?

Anyone and everyone...please help...thanks

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

its been a week since iv been trying to some how istall CWM on my verizon locked DI2..i cant access anything on the phone besides the activation and emergency dialler.....on the bootloader i can see:
VIVO_W XB SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-0.97.0000
RADIO- 0.99.01.0225_2
eMMC-boot

Anyone and everyone...please help...thanks

Try working on something like this post on Cyanogenmod. Maybe flashing the recovery if it's already on the SD card will help. Either way, worth a shot.

Of course make sure you supplement the fact you may be on a different OS and the different .img name.

Mj_80

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I was just building up the courage to give my first root a try, when I saw that Verizon is rolling out update 2.3.4 (which I have not installed yet). I was just curious if this root method is still viable after the update? If is not, then I'd prefer to root before the update is automatically sent through my Dinc2. Any ideas or suggestions would help. Thanks in advance everyone!

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The update to 2.3.4 will block the Revolutionary root. I would suggest doing the root before you get the update, if anything goes wrong I will have the unrooting procedure out in the next day or two, this update really threw me a curve ball.

Reactions: Mj_80

Mj_80

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

The update to 2.3.4 will block the Revolutionary root. I would suggest doing the root before you get the update, if anything goes wrong I will have the unrooting procedure out in the next day or two, this update really threw me a curve ball.

Thanks for getting the word out that the update will block the Rooting process! Hopefully I'll be able to achieve root before the "push" of the update. Been lucky so far.

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for getting the word out that the update will block the Rooting process! Hopefully I'll be able to achieve root before the "push" of the update. Been lucky so far.

Right on! Do let me know if you get it rooted. :)

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE/VIDEO] Root Gingerbread on your Incredible 2 (2.3.3 ON

***EDIT3: Crisis averted. Message below left for posterity in case anybody else encounters a problem mid root and is afraid to sneeze.***

Crap crap crap. I got to the point where I was telling the phone to choose zip from sd card. I chose it. I told it Yes, install it. It tried to. But then it said:

E:Can't open /sdcard/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

Tried a few more times and no good.

I'm trying to back out of it, but I just get to the screen where the top option is "Reboot system now" and although there is a "Go Back" at the bottom, I can't go any farther back. I'm afraid at this point if I do anything, I'm going to brick it. What do I do? I'm going to post this here but I imagine nobody's watching, so I'll try over at xda too and in other spots on this site and see if I can get any help. I imagine I can just reboot, but what will that leave me with? Nothing? Something? Something horrifying? Hallllp!

EDIT1: Screw it. I chose reboot. I has rebooted just fine. So I guess it was an attempt that simply didn't do any harm since it failed. I am going to redownload the su-2.3... zip and try again. I will say that my computer didn't want to recognized the drive after I told the thing to install Clockwork Recovery. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. It was fine before when I was loading the su zip on.

EDIT2: Rebooted computer, redownloaded the su...zip file and tried it all again. I noticed when I was deleting the original su...zip file from the sd card that it was only 6k. That's an issue because the original file was 290k. So it really was bad. Don't know how that happened. Deleted that and replaced it with a fresh, full sized zip file. Ran Revolutionary. Revolutionary said "Your device is already S-OFF, what exactly do you think you're doing? Not setting S-OFF." (guess I got that far last time before I crapped out). And then it asked if I wanted to download and flash ClockworkMod Recovery. I said yes and Revolutionary crashed. Did it two more times and it crashed, crashed. I let it send the error report like I wanted, then tried one last time. It worked! Then I did the steps on the phone again where you have it install the su...zip file. This time it all worked. Superuser, *****es! Yeah! Thanks notluK. Very helpful overview you've done there. Nice and plain Englishy.

By the way, those of you who tuned in to EDIT1, my computer kept making the mount/unmount this second time at the key action points during the process and trying to tell me it didn't recognize the phone as a drive via usb. Malfunction blah blah blah. But at this point all the action was happening on the phone anyway, not on the computer, so it didn't really matter. And now it recognizes it again just fine now that I'm done. So it wasn't a fluke the first time - that's just how my computer does, I guess.

Last edited:

notluK

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

***EDIT3: Crisis averted. Message below left for posterity in case anybody else encounters a problem mid root and is afraid to sneeze.***

Crap crap crap. I got to the point where I was telling the phone to choose zip from sd card. I chose it. I told it Yes, install it. It tried to. But then it said:

E:Can't open /sdcard/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

Tried a few more times and no good.

I'm trying to back out of it, but I just get to the screen where the top option is "Reboot system now" and although there is a "Go Back" at the bottom, I can't go any farther back. I'm afraid at this point if I do anything, I'm going to brick it. What do I do? I'm going to post this here but I imagine nobody's watching, so I'll try over at xda too and in other spots on this site and see if I can get any help. I imagine I can just reboot, but what will that leave me with? Nothing? Something? Something horrifying? Hallllp!

EDIT1: Screw it. I chose reboot. I has rebooted just fine. So I guess it was an attempt that simply didn't do any harm since it failed. I am going to redownload the su-2.3... zip and try again. I will say that my computer didn't want to recognized the drive after I told the thing to install Clockwork Recovery. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. It was fine before when I was loading the su zip on.

EDIT2: Rebooted computer, redownloaded the su...zip file and tried it all again. I noticed when I was deleting the original su...zip file from the sd card that it was only 6k. That's an issue because the original file was 290k. So it really was bad. Don't know how that happened. Deleted that and replaced it with a fresh, full sized zip file. Ran Revolutionary. Revolutionary said "Your device is already S-OFF, what exactly do you think you're doing? Not setting S-OFF." (guess I got that far last time before I crapped out). And then it asked if I wanted to download and flash ClockworkMod Recovery. I said yes and Revolutionary crashed. Did it two more times and it crashed, crashed. I let it send the error report like I wanted, then tried one last time. It worked! Then I did the steps on the phone again where you have it install the su...zip file. This time it all worked. Superuser, *****es! Yeah! Thanks notluK. Very helpful overview you've done there. Nice and plain Englishy.

By the way, those of you who tuned in to EDIT1, my computer kept making the mount/unmount this second time at the key action points during the process and trying to tell me it didn't recognize the phone as a drive via usb. Malfunction blah blah blah. But at this point all the action was happening on the phone anyway, not on the computer, so it didn't really matter. And now it recognizes it again just fine now that I'm done. So it wasn't a fluke the first time - that's just how my computer does, I guess.

Glad you figured it all out, I apologize I wasn't here when it all happened, I'm sure you would have been much less shook up to know nothing was wrong after all. :eek:

Actually, when the superuser flash failed like that I think you could have just gone into the market and installed Superuser that way, since to that point you had already flashed the modded HBOOT and installed ClockworkMod, if that makes sense.

Either way, you made it through! :D
Plus there is a certain sense of accomplishment to solving problems on your own when all seems lost, no? :p

Blauman

May 23, 2011
Visit site

So I finally decided to give rooting a shot only to find out that now I cant since I have 2.3.4. I did see a thread about downgrading to 2.3.3 and it looks fairly straightforward. Has anyone in this thread done that process?

lt thistle541

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So I finally decided to give rooting a shot only to find out that now I cant since I have 2.3.4. I did see a thread about downgrading to 2.3.3 and it looks fairly straightforward. Has anyone in this thread done that process?
. I just did the downgrade the other day and it is fairly simple, just follow the steps

Blauman

May 23, 2011
Visit site

. I just did the downgrade the other day and it is fairly simple, just follow the steps

Yep I did it and it is indeed really simple to do. I am currently giving Virtuous Unity 2.39 a shot, and have download MIUI to try out as well.

lt thistle541

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for the guide, worked flawlessly. First time rooting a phone and didn't have a single problem

Tylurr

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

When I enter my Beta key then hit enter, it says "Zerging root...this might take a minute or so..." for like 3 minutes then it says "Failed to get root!"

idk why, help me! My phone is 2.3.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz