Hacking Info

dangdang

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I hope we can find a way to root the replenish soon. In hopes of getting there faster I have found some things that may or may not help us hack this phone.

To boot into Android Recovery Hold U down while powering on....or do 'adb reboot recovery' (requires android sdk tools)

If you hold down Q while powering on you get some verbose output instead of the first SamsungMobile screen.

If you power down then hold Q while you plug in you charger you'll get some verbose output on right below the battery icon.

Bootloader appears to be LK little kernel based.

Last edited:
Reactions: kridder0

kc_exactly

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

That is very helpful. Thanks for figuring that out.

The only thing I have found is the latest version of google maps is extremely buggy on the phone so I downgraded back to the old version.

The phone freezes up sometimes. I want to clear the Dalvik cache but I don't know how to until someone figures out how to root.

I like the phone though. I have the solar charger coming in the mail.

rc28a

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Why torture yourselves?? Just get the Spring Motorola Droid Pro aka XPRT and all your freezes and pain and eyestrain from a small dirty screen will be gone!

dangdang

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am curious if the solar charing battery cover will keep the phone charged when its used as a mobile hotspot. If it keeps the phone at the same % then I'd be happy with that too.

I wonder how much the XPRT's solar charging battery cover will be.....wait it doesn't have one :p I have noticed a lag but nothing that makes me have to reset by pulling the battery. Did you update already? I wish I haven't maybe rooting would be easier.

kc_exactly

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I am having some issues

My phone is freezing when I use the camera. Anyone else having this problem? It usually happens the 2nd time I take a picture.

dangdang

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I just tested taking 3 pics then hit the home button then launched camera and took 4 more no freezing.

What build number are you on? I am on FROYO.ED23.

itsme2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I am curious if the solar charing battery cover will keep the phone charged when its used as a mobile hotspot. If it keeps the phone at the same % then I'd be happy with that too.

The solar cell area on the cover is about 29 cm^2. In full direct sunlight at sea level, the solar energy is about 0.1 W/cm^2, so the cell area is receiving 2.9 W. Being extremely generous and saying the solar cell has a 10% conversion efficiency, that means the solar cell back cover in the most ideal conditions could supply about 290 mW of power to the phone.

Given the 3.7 V battery 1600 mAhr battery has an energy capacity of 5.92 Whr, and the advertised talk time is 5.5 hours, that would mean the phone uses an average of 1.08 W of power during a call.

Average wi-fi signal power is on the order of 100 mW. If you figure in the losses in the conversion of the solar cell output power to the system power, I would say that you'd be lucky for the solar cell to hit a break even point to supply the wi-fi power needs. This does not include the CPU and display power, so no, the solar cell back cover could not sustain a wi-fi hotspot.

johhnyrockws

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm a noob here but I have a desire to learn more about programming for android and have begun to school myself. I have bought some textbooks on how to make apps and learn the java language.

Anyways, I just wanted to ask you if maybe the source files for the Replenish that Samsung released to the public will help to root this phone?

Thanks.

johhnyrockws

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Better Power Solution

The solar cell area on the cover is about 29 cm^2. In full direct sunlight at sea level, the solar energy is about 0.1 W/cm^2, so the cell area is receiving 2.9 W. Being extremely generous and saying the solar cell has a 10% conversion efficiency, that means the solar cell back cover in the most ideal conditions could supply about 290 mW of power to the phone.

Given the 3.7 V battery 1600 mAhr battery has an energy capacity of 5.92 Whr, and the advertised talk time is 5.5 hours, that would mean the phone uses an average of 1.08 W of power during a call.

Average wi-fi signal power is on the order of 100 mW. If you figure in the losses in the conversion of the solar cell output power to the system power, I would say that you'd be lucky for the solar cell to hit a break even point to supply the wi-fi power needs. This does not include the CPU and display power, so no, the solar cell back cover could not sustain a wi-fi hotspot.

Hello.
I know it may sound like a tacky idea, but there is a much better way to power the phone. Ebay sells the batteries for this phone for about $15 with free shipping(HongKong delivery takes two weeks). I purchased two extra batteries for my phone because I use it constantly throughout my business day and personal life.

Ebay also sells an item called a universal cell phone charger for $5 with free shipping. So for about $40, a person can have all the power they would ever need to get through their day. If you don't think you need all that power you can still spend the $20 for the one battery and charger which is still beating the price for one battery in the Sprint stores at $45 or the $60 solar charger. Batteries are Samsung factory batteries at 1500mAh, not generic knock offs too!! Some might think it's tacky to carry extra batteries in your pocket but they are slim and don't take up much space. I think that's a small price to pay for "all day long" power including use over wifi.

johhnyrockws

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Inc. Uncooperative

After going to the Replenish download support section of Samsung's site:
Samsung

I discovered there is no download support for the Replenish. The website fails to load any files.

I spoke to a representative at Samsung.com and they claimed that they don't have any download support for this phone model yet. I went back and forth with the rep. politely, trying to get them to help me obtain these drivers and they would not cooperate with me. I have a hard time believing any of this. Of course Samsung has these drivers! How could they not? I believe they don't wish to cooperate with the internet community to further the progression of rooting this phone.

Johhnyrockws: can I have the usb drivers?

Spencer: As I told you that there are no USB drivers available for this model yet. I am sorry for the inconvenience, I can understand how important USB drivers are to root a phone.

itsme2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
As I mentioned in my USB Tethering post, I did get USB drivers to work on XP 32-bit. Whether these are the drivers you need to help you root I do not know.

I downloaded the "Download (11MB) - Windows Drivers for Samsung Android Phones (includes Galaxy S)" package from Download Drivers

Unzip the package, and the ones you want are under the "16 - Shrewberry" directory. I plugged the phone in, and told windows to use the aforementioned driver directory to install "Samsung Android USB Modem" and "Samsung Android Diag" devices. There was also an "unknown device" which was related to a mass storage driver, and I found that driver also in the package (but possibly in a different directory).

djjavejav

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I also was able to use the link itsme2 posted to successfully install drivers that were at least compatible with the Replenish. Following the EXCELLENT directions, I was able to get those installed and get PDANet running successfully. Until a nice custom ROM gets built for this phone (hopefully SOMEONE decides to spend some time on this cheap little jewel!) I'll be sticking with PDANet for free tethering goodness.

Andybkn

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If anybody finds an easy way to root this phone without that much mumbo jumbo, please pm me. i just got this phone today and i root everything so...

Lumos

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Can I ask, in simple terms, what is rooting and why do you want to do it to your phones?

I'm assuming that it's similar to 'breaking'? What's the appeal? It seems like a lot of work.

Andybkn

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Can I ask, in simple terms, what is rooting and why do you want to do it to your phones?

I'm assuming that it's similar to 'breaking'? What's the appeal? It seems like a lot of work.

If it was breaking it would be called "breaking" rooting helps you do things you weren't able to do before like... well just look up things you can do with it.

shiftr182

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I come from a samsung epic, but my wife got this phone, so I rooted it and tweaked it a bit.

I used the prevail root method, then went into adb (using the drivers for my epic), removed some of the worthless apks (lcdtest.apk, keytracer.apk, sprintzone.apk, w_installer.apk, etc.). The same dailer codes work so far so I decided to speed up her 3g, I went to terminal and get root "su" then type "getprop ril.MSL", you should get a 6 digit number, this is your msl.....write it down. Go to dialer ad type ##3282## then click "edit" it will ask for a code, enter you msl, after that go to options, then multimedia, change both proxy address' to 0.0.0.0, and both ports to 0.

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I did as suggested. Did one test before and one test after. Pre-tweak download speed 0.21 Mbps and upload speed 0.09 Mbps.

Post-tweak results:
Download: 1.55 Mbps
Upload: 0.1 Mbps

Now I realize one test each was probably not good enough, but everything is working fine and things do appear faster. Thanks shiftr182.

Any ideas on a custom ROM for this thing?

Reactions: Freakb18c1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers