has anyone else's EVO been really laggy lately?

dzuchowski

Banned
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
all you guys with slowness issues, have you tried to reformat your microsd card and to totally clear your phone such as by (if on sprint) ##786# and enter your msl code and then wide and reprogram your phone? I do this instead of a clear storage. I recommand doing this about once every week or so.

dzuchowski

Banned
Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I've accepted the advantages of having the ability to swap. I'd rather wait for a reboot than a partial or full charge. I also don't have to worry about my usage. With an 1800 mAH battery I can get over 18 hours of light use and around 24 with very light. I usually get 12-15 hours.

yeps thats right, stop complaining about the battery and just purchase a seido online extended battery that is like 3500mha and the phone will work like it was designed to last all day. Ofcourse the bigger battery will needed to be trained by completely draining the battery after charging it for 24 hours in the external seidio charger and then charging it again for 24 hours and then draining it to the phone turns off again and then charge it for 24 hours in the external battery. This must be done atleast 7 to 8 times for the battery to be trained, seidio says so.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
yeps thats right, stop complaining about the battery and just purchase a seido online extended battery that is like 3500mha and the phone will work like it was designed to last all day. Ofcourse the bigger battery will needed to be trained by completely draining the battery after charging it for 24 hours in the external seidio charger and then charging it again for 24 hours and then draining it to the phone turns off again and then charge it for 24 hours in the external battery. This must be done atleast 7 to 8 times for the battery to be trained, seidio says so.

That doesn't seem excessive to you?

notasimpleway

Jan 30, 2010
www.kencaruthers.com
4g - There is a flaw in the 4g toggle. Toggling it off doesn't turn it off. This is something HTC will have to fix. You can see for yourself with a logcat report. Turn it off and reboot is the only fix right now. This is the reason for battery drain for 4g users.

Lag - Don't use a task killer such as ATK(Advance Task Killer) or anything that kills tasks itself. The only time an Android user needs to worry about task management is for rogue apps using more CPU over an extended amount of time. There are a couple of apps to monitor CPU usage. My favorite is Watchdog Lite. It will monitor all your apps for CPU usage and only alert you if an app is using x amount of the CPU. It will give you options to whitelist, kill, or ignore the app. Basically, if it alerts you, kill the app. That simple. Root is not required. Those worried about RAM and apps running that you didn't start or no longer using running in memory...well don't worry! Let Android do its thing. I promise it isn't affecting your battery life or performance unless Watchdog alerts you. I have Watchdog Lite set at moderate for checking the CPU. Just set it and forget it.

Battery tip: For whatever reasons, HTC made their phones charge to 100 percent then while still on the charger it will discharge to 90% and charge back to 100%. This repeats till it is removed from the charger. I think this is to keep the phone from overcharging the battery. The problem is the phone says full but it could be in the middle of its recharge cycle at 93% and gives no warning of this. This means the user unplugs and sends a text and the % drops to 92 or where ever it was at in the cycle. A way to make sure the phone is fully charged is to use an external charger(get one off eBay with 2 batteries around $10) or before unplugging(make sure the charging led is green) turn the phone off. You will notice the light turns orange not green. This is because the phone is not fully charged. Leave the phone off till the light turns green again. This make take anywhere from a minute to 30. Depends on what actual % the battery was at during the charge cycle. Once the light turns green, unplug wait for the light to go off and plug it back in. Wait for it to go from orange to green again. Won't take as long this time. I would repeat this a total of ten times. After the last cycle of orange to green turn the phone on and enjoy the fully charged battery. I wouldn't do this method everyday maybe once a month or every couple of weeks. You should notice a huge improvement with battery life.

I have lots of battery tips. I will post later. I am tired.

Edit: I need to post more here at AC. Says I am an Android Beginner. I am not. LOL.

Last edited:

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I have experienced the "4G lag", but that's the only time my phone lags. I'm convinced a lot of it is Sense. I'm hoping the newer versions of Sense will address this issue. The biggest offender I've noticed is the dialer app. I also use System Panel and I've noticed that a lot of the time when my phone seems to be a bit laggy, I'll open System Panel and see that the Dialer app has been using a lot of processor time. I kill it (it never really goes away, but just restarts instantly), but the lagginess usually goes away.

Let me warn, this is *not* a fix to the 4G activation lag issue, just something I've noticed when the phone seems laggy at other times. Honestly, I've had my phone rooted for months and was running the Fresh EVO ROM until recently. About two weeks ago, I finally decided to try out Cyanogen, even though it means no 4G (for now), and it is definitely amazing. Incredibly faster than the stock ROM and with some really nice features.

Oh, and about the "for now" comment above, one of the main guys in the Cyanogen project is in the final development stages of getting WiMax enabled in the EVO ROM ;) I'm expecting WiMax 4G on my Cyanogen by the first of next year. Christmas might come a little late, but I think it'll be worth it :)

Now this is just plane old silly to believe something like this..LMAO..Not one person not even a fanboy has claimed to be able to use this phone for 24 hours on a full charge..This is the problem..people like this that worship their phones that lie on it to make a point. Even a BlackBerry gets this much B. Life even the Iphone which all factually and notably have significant B. life over the evo or any other Android phone on the market..SMDH

Just a quick point of fact: the previous poster talking about the biggest problems with battery life not being limited to the Evo are correct. Many new phones on the market have similar battery life issues. When the iPhone 3G first came out, it wouldn't make it 8 hours without a recharge. I had an iPhone-obsessed friend (who has now denounced Apple and has his own Android) that I used to tease about it. At least with an Android phone we *can* swap batteries if it comes down to it. Battery technology really has not kept up with the newer processors and screen sizes.

That said, I regularly run my Evo 24-36 hours on a single charge. Granted, at 36 hours I'll be pushing 5% battery, but it is perfectly possible. Much of it depends on the individual person and how they use their phone. I have had days when I've been doing streaming radio and navigation outside, with the screen on max brightness so I could see it in the sun and, yeah, that'll kill the battery in less than 8. Even with my normal, moderate usage, I get well over 12 hours (I do have the Seido 1750mAh battery). Please don't just automatically assume that anyone who claims to have better battery life than yourself is lying.

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
About two weeks ago, I finally decided to try out Cyanogen, even though it means no 4G (for now), and it is definitely amazing. Incredibly faster than the stock ROM and with some really nice features.

Ditto

Oh, and about the "for now" comment above, one of the main guys in the Cyanogen project is in the final development stages of getting WiMax enabled in the EVO ROM ;) I'm expecting WiMax 4G on my Cyanogen by the first of next year. Christmas might come a little late, but I think it'll be worth it :)

I really hope so. Not missing 4G all that much but it's a key feature for the phone.

Even with my normal, moderate usage, I get well over 12 hours (I do have the Seido 1750mAh battery). Please don't just automatically assume that anyone who claims to have better battery life than yourself is lying.

Ditto here too.

Agreed.

bllackkman

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes it has

I thought is was me, lol, I used AP2SD app and it helped alot but all of a sudden back to laggy EVO, I have to reset it at least once a week

Evo Longoria

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I may have posted to this thread before, I don't remember, but I've been having a hell of a time with my EVO lately. Slow as slow can be; it froze then rebooted itself while using GPS and Google Maps to get around a road closing that left me lost. GPS won't lock location while moving, as any Garmin unit would; I have to pull over so the thing can "find me" before it will give me directions. Too slow to answer when a call comes in, resulting in unnecessary lost calls.

Why is the world's best smartphone suddenly getting dumb? (Is HTC ripening us up for a new EVO by making us real unhappy with our current ones??)

timtim#AC

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I know I posted this here before but if Your Evo is lagging like mine was it was do to downloaded apps automatic updates. My Evo was consitant in lagging from switching screens to opening apps. I realized I had went to the market a few days before and turned on auto updates on all my downloads. I then went back in reversed it and its been like the day I bought it since.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I know I posted this here before but if Your Evo is lagging like mine was it was do to downloaded apps automatic updates. My Evo was consitant in lagging from switching screens to opening apps. I realized I had went to the market a few days before and turned on auto updates on all my downloads. I then went back in reversed it and its been like the day I bought it since.
I guess I'll go and turn mine off then.

I don't want any lagging on my phone. ;)

Evo Longoria

May 11, 2010
Visit site

I don't have Automatic Updates on.

Evo Longoria

May 11, 2010
Visit site
'Don't know how long this will hold up as true, but the phone seems to have calmed down and is acting more smoothly and reliably since installing the 2.70.651.1 OTA. We shall see...