has anyone tried Visionary?

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
What about all the general phone settings? When I did a backup on my blackberry all my settings would be restored when I upgraded to a new OS. I just want to make sure that if anything happens I can have a complete backup of all my phone settings, not just my apps and the settings inside of each app.

I hope I am making sense when I say "phone settings", I'm not really sure what to call them.

What you want is a nandroid, and titanium can do all of that. But you can only do a nandroid if you are rooted, bootstrapped, and have clockwork mod recovery. I'm not sure one click root is the right thing for you guys, it totally leaves you unprepared for the very possible bricking (like the other thread on this in the forum).
For example:
If you decide to go with a one click you almost for sure won't have adb. You probably won't know what adb is. Thus when you brick your phone, you'll have to run to the internet in a panic trying to find drivers, the .sbf, and RSD. Trust me when I say that the process of fiddling and tinkering and browsing the forums the hard way is what you need to be prepared to fix any possible problems.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
What about all the general phone settings? When I did a backup on my blackberry all my settings would be restored when I upgraded to a new OS. I just want to make sure that if anything happens I can have a complete backup of all my phone settings, not just my apps and the settings inside of each app.

I hope I am making sense when I say "phone settings", I'm not really sure what to call them.

The only way to back up everything (ringtones, system settings, homescreens, apps and all their settings...everything) is with a nandroid backup (root required). Do a google search for "Koush bootstrap." He has his own site. The app is easy to use. You can also do a youtube serach for the same phrase and watch a short video of someone making a backup.

Titanium is still very useful though, as you can use it to restore apps and their settings if you flash a new ROM, which will wipe all your apps and data (most ROMs need to perform a full wipe when installed). Afterwords, many of your apps will automatically redownload, but a few don't, and the ones that do no longer have your settings. A weather app would be a example of this. Titanium can be used to selectively restore those app settings without you having to re-enter data. The nandroid backup is really for restoring from a total crash, or if you install a new ROM and decide you like it a few hours later, you can use your nandroid backup to get everything back the way it was.

El Poblano is right...do some research so that you're comfortable with all this. It's not rocket science, but some understanding is beneficial.

Last edited:

Lonman06

Oct 29, 2010
lonman06.com
The only way to back up everything (ringtones, system settings, homescreens, apps and all their settings...everything) is with a nandroid backup (root required). Do a google search for "Koush bootstrap." He has his own site. The app is easy to use. You can also do a youtube serach for the same phrase and watch a short video of someone making a backup.

Titanium is still very useful though, as you can use it to restore apps and their settings if you flash a new ROM, which will wipe all your apps and data (most ROMs need to perform a full wipe when installed). Afterwords, many of your apps will automatically redownload, but a few don't, and the ones that do no longer have your settings. A weather app would be a example of this. Titanium can be used to selectively restore those app settings without you having to re-enter data. The nandroid backup is really for restoring from a total crash, or if you install a new ROM and decide you like it a few hours later, you can use your nandroid backup to get everything back the way it was.

El Poblano is right...do some research so that you're comfortable with all this. It's not rocket science, but some understanding is beneficial.

Thanks to both of you for the response. I have purchased this application an did the backup. Does this program back up my apps and app settings or do I still need titianium for that part?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for the response. I have purchased this application an did the backup. Does this program back up my apps and app settings or do I still need titianium for that part?

The nandroid backup (done with Bootstrap), is for total recovery from the point in time that you made it. If you restore from it, EVERYTHING that was on your phone, including all settings, apps, ringtones, home screens, brightness, etc... is back as it was when the backup was made. The reason you would also want to make Titanium backups is because you can use those to restore specific apps and their respective settings if you ever flash a new ROM that wipes your phone. In that situation, you would NOT use your nandroid backup, as it would just put your entire phone back to the way it was, which would defeat the point of having flashed a new ROM. Does that make sense?

Lonman06

Oct 29, 2010
lonman06.com
The nandroid backup (done with Bootstrap), is for total recovery from the point in time that you made it. If you restore from it, EVERYTHING that was on your phone, including all settings, apps, ringtones, home screens, brightness, etc... is back as it was when the backup was made. The reason you would also want to make Titanium backups is because you can use those to restore specific apps and their respective settings if you ever flash a new ROM that wipes your phone. In that situation, you would NOT use your nandroid backup, as it would just put your entire phone back to the way it was, which would defeat the point of having flashed a new ROM. Does that make sense?

I think so, so what you're saying is that it basically saves an image of exactly how the phone was from when the backup was made?

If I upgrade to 2.3 when it comes out, are all my setting lost or are those kept in the upgrade?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001