Has Samsung FINALLY Gotten The Mesage That People HATE TouchWiz?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea why anyone here who has some deep rooted "hate" for TouchWiz would even consider buying a Samsung phone or even more inexplicably purchase one and then complain after the fact. There's a lot of choice when it comes to smartphones nowadays so why buy something you don't want in the first place?

I have no problem with TW but I use Nova as my launcher as I like the customizing I can do.
The answer is really quite simple. Other than the horrible lag-inducing TW, their phones are state-of-the-art. Screens are incredibly bright and clear and the battery life is great. Camera is good (still no match for the cameras in iphones, however, IMO) and the waterproofing is a reassuring feature when you're out and about. Every phone comes with compromises. For me, the Samsung had the best ratio of pro's to con's. But make no mistake about it, TW is simply AWFUL.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I hope this is true. I have loved the look and feel of the S5, Note 4, and Note 4 edge, but TW was really annoying to me. If they tone it down I will happily jump on the Samsung train.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hard for nexus to fly off the shelf when vzw won't sell it.
Verizon is not the entire world, so no one cares if they don't want to sell with their ugly logo stamped on pretty much every phone. Apple knows how to treat the useless carrier. Want the phone? Carry it the the way we want it or get the f out. Thank god I'm on T-Mobile and can use any unlocked phone without carrier crap.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
every year you people buy into these "rumors" then are disappointed in the end result. the bottom line is touchwiz is here to stay, yes it will lag and yes the design hasn't changed on the phone.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I can deal with touch wiz. I can't stand nature ux though. Those stupid water sounds for EVERY tap drive me insane. I turn those off the second I get a new Samsung phone. I hate sitting in waiting areas because of Samsung. Because invariably, someone has a Samsung phone with the sounds ALL the way up and they want to write their memoir while they wait. BLIP BLIP BLOOP BLOOP BLEEP BLIP.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I can deal with touch wiz. I can't stand nature ux though. Those stupid water sounds for EVERY tap drive me insane. I turn those off the second I get a new Samsung phone. I hate sitting in waiting areas because of Samsung. Because invariably, someone has a Samsung phone with the sounds ALL the way up and they want to write their memoir while they wait. BLIP BLIP BLOOP BLOOP BLEEP BLIP.

Lol, true, that sound is quite annoying.

@T-Mobile GN3

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This is my experience: the TouchWiz that lags and affects performance is caused SOLELY by the TouchWiz launcher. When I replace the TouchWiz launcher any performance hit is completely, let me write that again, completely...gone. I've used a ton of phones, including dry flavorless Nexus devices. Most recently (spelled last weekend) I really dove in and compared a Nexus 6 with Nova Prime to my Note 3 and Note 4 with Nova Prime. The 3 phones felt the same in launching apps, screen transitions, etc. and the Note 3 is an older design. I found I still don't care for the look of stock android and its stoic dry font and menus. Lollipop? You may keep it. Forever. No, really.

I've been replacing the TouchWiz launcher with Nova Prime or something else since the S3 and that's why I could never understand why people say Samsung devices lag.

Now, why in the world would anyone that knows better keep the performance affecting TouchWiz launcher when there is Nova, Apex, Aviate, ADW, Go, Next, etc that perform better and are way more flexible?

YMMV but, again, in my experience it is SOLELY the TouchWiz launcher that affects performance, not its underpinnings.

• from the i6+ 🐜

salutcemoi

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Meh

I like TW tbh

And I also like the water touch sound

Idk what the fuss is all about

#firstworldproblems

Posted via the Android Central App

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind TW. I think it improved greatly on my S5 with the lollipop update. Having said that however, I have played around on a Nexus tablet running lollipop and it is a very, very nice experience, better than TW. If Samsung does decide to tone down it's launcher with the S6, I can only hope they eventually push the same software to the S5.

siber storm

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
every year you people buy into these "rumors" then are disappointed in the end result. the bottom line is touchwiz is here to stay, yes it will lag and yes the design hasn't changed on the phone.

No need for rumors. Just look at the galaxy a5 reviews, one of their most recent phones overseas. It runs very smoothly and only has a lowly snapdragon 410. A lot of bloat is misding on the phone, but it still has multiwindow.

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure Google themselves intervened and told Samsung to ease off on the bloatware, especially after the S4 storage debacle where the OS was eating up about 8GB of storage, which is INSANE when you compare the footprint of stock / custom software.

Samsung bloating Android gives the OS a bad name as non techies have no idea they've heavily modified it, which results in performance issues - unforgivable based on the device specs.

I've been rocking a Nexus 4 for quite a while now and don't really suffer many performance issues thanks to custom ROMS and that's got a 1.5GHz Quad-Core CPU / 2GB RAM.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Each year before the release of the next Galaxy device, rumours come out stating TouchWiz is going to be optimized and updated.

The track record of these rumours hasn't been the greatest so I'll believe it when I see it. I doubt Samsung is going to make dramatic changes to TouchWiz, maybe remove a few older apps and change the colour scheme around but a minimalist version of TouchWiz is surely not happening. I hope it does but I'm doubting it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't like TW either but couldn't care less thanks to root and Nova, Apex most of the annoying stuff can be removed

Also people need to take the rumors for what they are just that.

Samsung doesn't need to do much use a sd 810, 4k display and keep the build quality of the note 4

leegreg81

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You do realize that article is over a year old, don't you?

Indeed, each new iteration of the Galaxy series is released on a yearly basis. Hence it's likely Googles intervention was triggered by bloat / performance issues with the S5, the problem goes back further but it seems like the S5 was the point where they'd finally had enough.

In this case it seems possible that Googles advice has been taken on board and we'll see the results when the S6 is released.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, each new iteration of the Galaxy series is released on a yearly basis. Hence it's likely Googles intervention was triggered by bloat / performance issues with the S5, the problem goes back further but it seems like the S5 was the point where they'd finally had enough.

In this case it seems possible that Googles advice has been taken on board and we'll see the results when the S6 is released.

You mean the S4... The S5 wasn't released when that article was written... #CMONMAN