Has Your S7E Received Google Assistant?

KindalRL

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
With so many people on multiple forums with an S7e that have yet to receive the update, it seems like Google has dropped the ball on this one. I don't have numbers to prove it, but I'm pretty sure the large majority of phones in the US running the required version of Android to receive this update are Samsung. It seems to me that a company like Google would push an update like this much harder to those phones...I'm scratching my head a bit on this one, especially since they made a specific announcement of the release and nobody seems to have it yet.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I still haven't received yet either, what gives google? :-

They are being smart. :) This is a fairly substantial update that will be pushed to countless different models of phones and flavors of Android.... and it is impossible for Google to test all those different combinations. If they just hit a button and pushed it to everyone with a 6.0+ phone, and some sort of defect popped up and screwed up people's phones for a bit while they hashed out a fix, the headlines would all be blasting Google for being irresponsible and breaking stuff.

Apple gets in trouble with this all the time... they go hell bent for glory on every update and push it out to the world, and a ton of phones inevitably get screwed up in the process and people start pulling their hair out for a day or two while they rush to push out a fix. So Google takes a more cautious approach to mitigate risk.

choong1997

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Just got it! Bell Canada S7E.
Both Google App and Google Play Services at latest beta versions. Good luck guys! Just keep pressing the home button. It'll come ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170307-205206.jpg
    Screenshot_20170307-205206.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20170307-205656.jpg
    Screenshot_20170307-205656.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 85

Michmerr

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
OK, now how do I get it to go away?

Now the home button long-press brings up a prompt for voice entry, and there's no setting I can find to bring up text entry or the Google Now feed. I can start the Google App from the launcher, which opens the familiar Google Now feed, and allows text entry.

This update has rendered search almost useless to me. When I want to use voice, I say, "OK, Google." When i want to manually enter a search, I manually press the home button. Except now the shortcut for text search is gone. **** you, Google.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
OK, now how do I get it to go away?

Now the home button long-press brings up a prompt for voice entry, and there's no setting I can find to bring up text entry or the Google Now feed. I can start the Google App from the launcher, which opens the familiar Google Now feed, and allows text entry.

This update has rendered search almost useless to me. When I want to use voice, I say, "OK, Google." When i want to manually enter a search, I manually press the home button. Except now the shortcut for text search is gone. **** you, Google.
I don't have it yet, but after pressing the home key and getting the voice search swipe up.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you aren't happy with some of the changes, hit the 'send feedback' button... Really... Send it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali