Have G4 but is G5 actually the logical next step?

initiateofgol

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I like my G4 and wasn't convinced by the G5 modular approach. I don't really need a robot ball...or do I? I've been thinking that modular flexibility rather than simply smaller, thinner, more powerful i.e. the Samsung G7 may actually be the logical next step in mobile phone evolution. My basic phone will do everything a good mobile should, while the expansion capability makes it potentially much more than a phone. It really does depend on module development, and what developers can imagine. Could it be much more than a toy/camera/music expansion, in theory helping with work and home functionality? I'm becoming inclined to give the G5 a chance, and wonder if some day we will look back on phones that didn't have modular expansion potential as extremely limited and incomplete. Is that possible?

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I like my G4 and wasn't convinced by the G5 modular approach. I don't really need a robot ball...or do I? I've been thinking that modular flexibility rather than simply smaller, thinner, more powerful i.e. the Samsung G7 may actually be the logical next step in mobile phone evolution. My basic phone will do everything a good mobile should, while the expansion capability makes it potentially much more than a phone. It really does depend on module development, and what developers can imagine. Could it be much more than a toy/camera/music expansion, in theory helping with work and home functionality? I'm becoming inclined to give the G5 a chance, and wonder if some day we will look back on phones that didn't have modular expansion potential as extremely limited and incomplete. Is that possible?

I think you asking yourself the question "do I need it?" Answers the question itself.

Yes modular design will be the future but today is not the future. What you need today is what you have today. And you have a very good phone.

All these 2015-16 flagships are amazing. You can get anyone of these and be satisfied. There's not much difference left in the performance and features.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
The fact that your asking yourself if u need it means u really don't. The G4 is plenty capable enough to get u through at least another year, if not more.

initiateofgol

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
The G4 and all other mobile phones are now instantly obsolete.

I'm completely rethinking modular design, which at first seemed cumbersome and gimmicky, but upon deeper thought offers almost limitless possibilities. Restricting phone use to available software and apps is suddenly archaic seeming.

My other thought was that if the G5, which is essentially an experimental phone, isn't supported, modularity won't advance.

LG has taken a great risk with this new phone. They really do need to support developers. Can the G5 be considered a success without the module element taking off?

My G4 is great I agree but the future needs to be supported and invested in or it won't arrive, and we'll all be forever confined to a rectangular slab mobile, a concept which may have reached its limits, or heights, with the Samsung Galaxy S7. It's time to move on.

So I may not need to get the G5, but I think I probably should.

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't think of a reason to upgrade at all. The G4 has everything I need. Great screen, fast processor, expandable storage, replaceable battery, and ... that killer camera. I'm set. The only extra I wish it had would be waterproofing.

initiateofgol

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I agree the G4 is a great mobile phone, but I think the G5 has everything the G4 does (except certain rear controls) and because of the modular concept the G5 has the potential to be much more than a mobile phone.

frifred

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I was considering upgrading to a G5, from my G4, but except for the processor, the basic G5 isn't that much of an upgrade, at least to me. I am happy with my G4, it does everything that I want it to, it has a great camera, and I have had it for only a year. I went from the G2, skipped the G3, and got a G4. I am now thinking that I will skip the G5 and go with the G6, or whatever they will call it, next year.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The G5 slightly smaller screen and no more volume button on the back :(

It might be an incredibly good phone but cost is an issue I'd wait. I haven't seen pricing for the interchangable modules yet and not sure how that will fly. There's some risk involved. But if you're made of money and don't need to finance - go for it!

kraze4u

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
The G5 is merely a concept phone. I doubt there will be a huge sales demand for it and who wants to pay extra for attachments when the phone is already expensive enough.

initiateofgol

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
The G5 is merely a concept phone. I doubt there will be a huge sales demand for it and who wants to pay extra for attachments when the phone is already expensive enough.

That's a very good description, "concept phone," which is exactly what it is as far as the modular aspects. Watching sales will be interesting but you're likely correct. The S7 is going to dominate.

initiateofgol

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
The G5 slightly smaller screen and no more volume button on the back :(

It might be an incredibly good phone but cost is an issue I'd wait. I haven't seen pricing for the interchangable modules yet and not sure how that will fly. There's some risk involved. But if you're made of money and don't need to finance - go for it!

I understand what you're saying and I'm definitely not made of money. But if everyone waits will LG abandon the module concept and revert to a refined G4 for the G6? Could they reversion be seen as anything other than a failure?

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I understand what you're saying and I'm definitely not made of money. But if everyone waits will LG abandon the module concept and revert to a refined G4 for the G6? Could they reversion be seen as anything other than a failure?

It's fun being an early adopter but you can get burned. And I haven't seen pricing for those modules yet.