LG G4 Review (From an Owner of the G2 and G3)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I come to my G$ via G3 & G2 also. The only 2 differences I find moving from the G3 are, I like the feel of the leather back and the camera (and the manual mode software) are FANTASTIC. For me it was worth the upgrade. If you're not really interested in a better camera, don't bother to upgrade.

MegaDittos ^^^^^^^^

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Update on the AT&T GoPhone SIM. I had issues at first, but after talking to AT&T Tech Support, they walked me through setting up an APN. Now it works well. More on that here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/535360-t-gophone-not-working-my-global-g4.html#post4463896

I haven't made a ton of calls yet. Only 1 to myself. It sounded good. I'll be using this to make most of my calls and let you know what others say.

So, signal strength:
iPhone 6 Plus:
IMG_0409.jpg

LG G4 (Note: this was before the APN setup, but even after, the signal didn't change):
Screenshot_2015-06-01-14-36-17.jpg

So, with 4 dBm, there wasn't a lot of difference between the 2 devices.

Speed Test:
iPhone 6 Plus:
IMG_0410.PNG

LG G4:
Screenshot_2015-06-02-06-49-10.jpg

It's hard to blame the device for these results. AT&T has never been great at my house. That's why I'm on Verizon. I did have faster upload speeds, but then my download speeds went down.

For an AT&T vs Verizon contrast:
Here's my Verizon speeds taken a few months ago. Early morning, but still my speeds on Verizon at home average around 30Mbps all day.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Update on the AT&T GoPhone SIM. I had issues at first, but after talking to AT&T Tech Support, they walked me through setting up an APN. Now it works well. More on that here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/535360-t-gophone-not-working-my-global-g4.html#post4463896

I haven't made a ton of calls yet. Only 1 to myself. It sounded good. I'll be using this to make most of my calls and let you know what others say.

So, signal strength:
iPhone 6 Plus:
View attachment 179314

LG G4 (Note: this was before the APN setup, but even after, the signal didn't change):
View attachment 179315

So, with 4 dBm, there wasn't a lot of difference between the 2 devices.

Speed Test:
iPhone 6 Plus:
View attachment 179317

LG G4:
View attachment 179318

It's hard to blame the device for these results. AT&T has never been great at my house. That's why I'm on Verizon. I did have faster upload speeds, but then my download speeds went down.

For an AT&T vs Verizon contrast:
Here's my Verizon speeds taken a few months ago. Early morning, but still my speeds on Verizon at home average around 30Mbps all day.
[url]http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/scottysize/Droid/Screenshot_2014-06-24-05-26-42_zpsa0dxw6zs.png[/URL]

Wow, what area of DFW are you in that AT&T doesn't work well (I noticed you were in DFW from the stormy sky pic and the sticker logo on your safety vest lol). From my experience I've had better luck with AT&T but of course that can vary just with travelling a few miles.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow, what area of DFW are you in that AT&T doesn't work well (I noticed you were in DFW from the stormy sky pic and the sticker logo on your safety vest lol). From my experience I've had better luck with AT&T but of course that can vary just with travelling a few miles.

These are taken from Sanger, TX about 5 miles from the Interstate. AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile do not work well from my house. Only Verizon seems to go my way.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
These are taken from Sanger, TX about 5 miles from the Interstate. AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile do not work well from my house. Only Verizon seems to go my way.

Ah, makes perfect sense now. Lived off the north part of Loop 288 for a while and VZW was pretty much the only choice for me as well.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
More pictures taken this weekend. (For those who don't know, I live in Texas and we got a lot of rain in May. We actually got our yearly dose in 1 month. It was the wettest month ever recorded.)

This is a park with a boat ramp. Note the fact that there is no park or boat ramp...
Park.jpg
See the stop sign? I should have zoomed in and shown you the zoom. Sorry.
Stop Sign Water.jpg

Dog after coming inside from the back yard. This was taken inside at night with a small overhead light and no flash. This demonstrates the capability of the camera and shows just how good it is under a very low light condition.
Mu.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere