Have i killed my phone?

Daleeni

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

I am, like many, in deep troubles with my phone and after having searched for days on the interwebz, i haven't found a solution.

Here's my case:

Saturday 14th of November, i decide to factory reset my Galaxy S3. I press the power button to turn it on and... This one remains stuck, provoking a bootloop. Great. So i Google solutions and i try everything i can do, which is not much as i wasn't home and wouldn't be for a few more days.
I cleaned it with alcohol, smashed the side of my phone in all the ways the YouTube vids showed and even carefully pressed around that white power button with pincers. No-thing.

That's when the stress started to grow: I'm french and i live near Paris, this phone issue happened the day after the terrorist attacks. And i was taking the plane back home 3 days after... I couldn't afford even a simple phone "in the mean time", i absolutely needed my phone to be repaired fast sooo... i plucked out the power button. With pincers. (While being careful not to touch anything else around)

Yay no bootloop anymore!... so after another Google session, I found how to actually turn on the phone. Factory reset, it worked, awesome.
... but i wouldn't be here if that was all!

Now my phone is almost constantly warm and the battery drains like crazy. Even a portable charger doesn't help as it's draining too fast. I've looked on internet as well and did everything i saw (removing useless apps, disabling gps and background apps, etc etc etc). The only thing i haven't done yet is trying another battery.

So here's my question(s): have i killed my phone by removing the power button? Is my phone constantly trying to contact a ghost, draining the battery in the process? Did i screw up something when i dismantled the phone to remove the button? Or did my phone simply give up on me?

Thank you if you can help me!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I am not inclined to think that you caused what's happening by what you did. I could very well be wrong though. At this point, your phone is arguably a safety hazard. The constant overheating is why I say that.

Has your situation changed to where you can get even just a flip phone until you can get a replacement?

Daleeni

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your answer!

I made it home on Tuesday with 5% battery left, after turning off the wifi/mobile data when i wasn't needing it. I have another phone home but not a smartphone *sad face* still better than nothing!

Also i forgot to mention that i read that the issue could be caused by the SD card, i followed the advices i read and it changed nothing.

The heating isn't as bad as erm... intensely using the phone while it's charging for example, but it's almost constantly warm as if I've been holding it for a decent amount of time!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disappointer