Have the Super LCD displays started shipping?

Floydian

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I've just started seeing some posts from other Android and Incredible forums indicating that the very recent incredibles that have been shipped have the Super LCD screens.

Has anyone here heard anything about this?

Have the Amoled screens begun to be "phased out" of production on the Inc?

XideXL

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I received my Incredible on July 9th, and as far as I can tell it is AMOLED. When I look at certain images or web pages, etc. I tend to notice some really deep blacks and such associated with the AMOLED screens, and with the screen off at certain angles I see a grid of dots which I believe is another defining characteristic.

I've also read recently that the ship dates are starting to be moved forward once again instead of backward, which could be associated with the inclusion of new screens. It could also be because the Droid X is now released and people are sick of waiting, or possibly a combination of the two.

I would guess that the new screens are soon to be on their way if they aren't already, but like I said, I do believe my phone which arrived about a week ago does have an AMOLED screen still.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I believe the two Incs that my sister received on 7/7 are super LED screens. I was installing the screen protectors and noticed a grid of dots on the screen while it is off. I don't have that grid on my Inc (which I have had since 5/27). The grid of dots is only noticeable when the phone is off.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I will be picking my replacement up from fedex today. My original Incredible was from release day. Hopefully I can tell a difference and let you know.

I'm wondering if there is there going to be a Hardware version change (due to the screen) in the About Phone setting

urabob

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see comparisons of the old AMOLED Incredible versus the new Super TFT Incredible. Hopefully, somebody will oblige us. From what I understood phones sold after 6/23 will have the revised screen.

brina042

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I believe the two Incs that my sister received on 7/7 are super LED screens. I was installing the screen protectors and noticed a grid of dots on the screen while it is off. I don't have that grid on my Inc (which I have had since 5/27). The grid of dots is only noticeable when the phone is off.

I have the grid of dots, and mine is the Amoled....

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I will be picking my replacement up from fedex today. My original Incredible was from release day. Hopefully I can tell a difference and let you know.

I'm wondering if there is there going to be a Hardware version change (due to the screen) in the About Phone setting

I would think there would be .I would think the build(0002) or the SKU would change to reflect the screen change as well as printed on box.

Since you had one of the AMOLED ones Im sure it wouldnt take you long once outside in the sun . Im guessing they still AMOLED tho but just a guess on my part from what I read on different forums. ;)

easy1jay

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm just going to add that I got my phone on day one, and that "grid of dots" is slightly noticeable on the AMOLED display sometimes in direct sunlight.

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I can't see a grid of dots on my screen at all and when I noticed them on the two my sister got I just figured that was the new screen. I could be wrong. If the AMOLED screens have the grid of dots I wonder why I can't see them on mine and her two were really noticeable. I even pulled off my screen protector to see if I had the dots and I don't see any thing but a black screen. Pretty interesting.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Same here. I was one that pre-ordered my Inc and got it in that first batch. There is a grid of dots (my Storm had same, just not as many...) that can be seen when screen is black or phone off. Screen is virtually useless in bright sunlight so I know I have the AMOLED screen! LOL

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Quality-wise, both are pretty identical.

With the AMOLED, you'll get better contrast and truer colors.

With the LED, you'll get better viewing in bright areas (such as direct sun).

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I even pulled off my screen protector to see if I had the dots and I don't see any thing but a black screen. Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

Mine looks like that when I am inside and the phones turned off . :) LOL

...also mine doesnt have any green dots either looking at outside (black screen) ,and its Amoled I dont know why some have green dots and some dont.

syrguy1969

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I have had mine since release as well, and I am very happy with it, but I would be very interested in feedback on this new screen. If it is really all that much better I would think we could get a replacement sent to get the new screen without any charge to us.

kmaxima

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Guys, pretty sure the dot grid that you can see occasionally on the screen depending on angle/light is a part of the touchscreen layer not the actual lcd/led display so it isn't going to help in determining if you have one or the other.

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure i have a S-LCD. I just got my replacement Incredible from fedex yesterday and had my old original bought at release Incredible.

My original had the dots in the sunlight while my new replacement did have dots on the screen but are much smaller in diameter, in a smaller scale pattern and are harder to see.

Also, the screen on my new Incredible is a tad easier to see in the sun. Not much to make a huge difference.

I did this comparison side by side from both of my Incredibles. Not sure if its proof, just what im reporting. I still have hardware version 2 on both phones also.

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I found that my original phone was one of the ones with the Pink hue on the screen, but I did not know this until I got my replacement. Could that be it?