Help! file is read only

Babu_Simba

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S4 clone, Star I9500 W.

I changed the build.prob file in the system directory with a file manager on the phone. Now it won't boot. All I get is the word android, upside-down. I can access the build.prob file with the adb shell, but can't change it back because it is read only. I tried to get write access by typing “su” but then I am supposed to hit a button on the phone which is still only displaying “android” (upside-down). Is there another way I can get write privileges to change the file back to what it was before I started messing around?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S4 clone, Star I9500 W.

I changed the build.prob file in the system directory with a file manager on the phone. Now it won't boot. All I get is the word android, upside-down. I can access the build.prob file with the adb shell, but can't change it back because it is read only. I tried to get write access by typing “su” but then I am supposed to hit a button on the phone which is still only displaying “android” (upside-down). Is there another way I can get write privileges to change the file back to what it was before I started messing around?

Hello.
Is there a recovery on the phone? Can you mount it on a PC?

Babu_Simba

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
There is a 3e recovery on the phone. I can not mount the phone with USB but can access it with debugging bridge. In adb I run shell and can see the files but can't wright or change them because they are mounted read only. I am trying to re-install the original build.prob file. Thanks for your reply.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
There is a 3e recovery on the phone. I can not mount the phone with USB but can access it with debugging bridge. In adb I run shell and can see the files but can't wright or change them because they are mounted read only. I am trying to re-install the original build.prob file. Thanks for your reply.

Is the phone rooted? Changing the permissions of non-system files does not require root, otherwise, you will need root to change the permissions on system files.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45