Help - Just made a quick uninformed decision

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So long short made short, went to staples to look at the Galaxy 10.1 tablet. They did not sell them at that location. The brands they did carry, they were out of. I am guessing due to the 100.00 off coupon.
So I went to Office max because I had read they would accept the coupon.
So long story made short, I ended up buying the Acer without really knowing to much about it.
So I am asking in this forum, was this a good or bad decision? How does it compare with the Galxy 10.1Tab? I currently own the 7inch Tab.
I am sure there are pros and cons to both but is there more cons than Pros? I didn't get to see the screen of the Tab? does anyone know if it is better tan the Acer? The one thing I did not like about the tab is that it had no SD card slot. It was thinner though! But I got the Acer for 299 which wasat least 100 cheaper than the tab (16gb)
I have 14 days to decide but would love some input from all of you.
Thanks,
Deano

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Acer as well. So far, I am happy with my purchase. The screen looks beautiful! IMO, the screen was the only advantage the Galaxy had over the Acer. Given that it turned out to be $100 cheaper, it was a no-brainer. You won't be disappointed!!

almarsh78

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi there...

I was in the same boat as you. I wanted a different tablet but ended up with the Acer as it was the only one I could get with the $100 off coupon. So far I couldn't be happier with my decision. The only con I have (and its a very small issue) is that the power cord is a bit shorter than I would like. Other than that its great. The battery life is excellent...I use it regularly at work (watching videos, playing games, streaming music, etc) and it is still at 50% after 8 hours.

My wife has a xoom and I actually like this better. This has a full USB port and the location of the charging port is on the side instead of the bottom (you have no idea how annoying it is to use the xoom while you are charging it). It also has great sound and the display is sharp.

The two free full version games were a nice plus as well.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Issemann. There isn't much differentiation on Honeycomb tablets, and there's no need to spend an extra hundred to save a few ounces.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well I have now had my Iconia for a few days and I am happy with the decision. I am very surprised though that it doesn't charge any via USB. With my 7inch Tablet, it was nice have it plugged into my laptop to keep it charged while at work and listening to music.

I do have one question though. Is it normal for it to be a little sluggish? For instance, I have an app open then close it, it takes 5-10 seconds for all the widgets repopulate. Even after that, swiping the pages can be sluggish for a few seconds. This is something I can live with but want to make sure this is normal while I am still in my 2 week return timetable.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Well I have now had my Iconia for a few days and I am happy with the decision. I am very surprised though that it doesn't charge any via USB. With my 7inch Tablet, it was nice have it plugged into my laptop to keep it charged while at work and listening to music.

I do have one question though. Is it normal for it to be a little sluggish? For instance, I have an app open then close it, it takes 5-10 seconds for all the widgets repopulate. Even after that, swiping the pages can be sluggish for a few seconds. This is something I can live with but want to make sure this is normal while I am still in my 2 week return timetable.

It's not normal for it to be sluggish. Mine is extremely snappy. Maybe try to reset it via the pin hole. You won't lose any info.

Reactions: Floridadomer

trgilman

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It's been said before here many times, but it bears repeating:
Do a factory reset when you get your tablet. Do it before you fill it with apps or files.
This will insure the best performance for you.

Reactions: Floridadomer

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
It's been said before here many times, but it bears repeating:
Do a factory reset when you get your tablet. Do it before you fill it with apps or files.
This will insure the best performance for you.

I have never heard of that before!! Really???? I know if you have an Android device and things start going south to do a hard reset but I have never heard of doing it right out of the box! What is the purpose if it?s already at the factory image?
Doing the soft reset did make it somewhat better but its still somewhat sluggish. It seems to always be right after it starts up or if I wake it up from being idle. After a minute or two, its better.
a great example is let?s say I have a app open, when I close it, sometimes my widgets that are scrollable like CNN or 360 news, flash and have repopulate. When I power it up, they take a while to show.
I just finally got all of my apps downloaded and all of the pages set up. Last night I wiped and rebuilt my wife?s Galaxy tablet so the idea and of doing it again is to say the least feels daunting. I think I will deal with it until this weekend and try it.
Does anyone else have the same issues with their widgets?
While I am asking questions, Can folders be made like you can with Froyo?
Thanks again for everyone?s help!!!
Dean

dcorrea78

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the Tab 10.1 and I purchased the Acer for my wife two weeks ago with the Staples coupon. Since both tabs are nearly identical inside(as are all current honycomb tabs) the difference really lies with the asthetics.

The 10.1 has a better screen, but that's not to say that the Acer's is bad. It is actually a pretty good screen as well. I love my 10.1 because of its sleek design and light profile, but I do wish I had some more connectivity options like the Acer has. For me to use a USB stick I had to purchase a dongle accessory to transform the 30pin proprietary port to a USB port.

In that regard, Samsung is alot like that fruit company.. everything is proprietary, which can ratchet up the price depending on what accessories you need.

Bottom line: The Acer is a great tablet, and for 299 I dont think it can be beat.

quadcam#CB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree the Acer is a great tablet, I've had mine since they first launched and have had zero problems with it, though mind you I have NOT installed the lastest update, sitting & waiting on more news on that before I proceed.

Doing a full factory reset, make sure you do all your backups first, can speed it up and take away any sluggy feeling, or so I'm told as I have not done a factory reset or hard reset and mine works fine. I must have got lucky.

It is a shame it doesn't charge via usb but it will back charge your phone if connected via usb, a usefull feature if your travelling & need the phone charged.

The power cord is kinda short but an el cheapo extension cord can fix that. You can get a good car charger from Radio Shack, just take the acer in to match the correct plugs.

There are lots of choices for cases.

The screen res works fine for me, I'm half blind without my beer googles.

The weight & thickness (thinness) who cares they are all about the same anyway.

Battery life is pretty good

The USB port is a big plus & part of the reason I went with the acer.

It does the job & it does it really well, I'm just mad now cause I paid full price..but what the heck.

I was also looking at the Tramsformer at the time, thought the keyboard would have been choice but they weren't waialable for I got the acer instead. It will take a usb or wireless keyboard anyway.

If I was looking at a new tablet right now, the Gax Tab might in the running but I'd probably still go with the acer.

Besides, the acer forum rocks!

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I did a hard reset and it’s much better. I still get a force close from time to time but I think that’s probably normal with how new the OS is.
My only gripe is not being able to charge via USB and not being able to get to my SD card via USB.
I would love the thinness of the Galaxy Tablet. I do like though having the ability to plus in a keyboard. I didn't like the not being able to have the option of using a SD card on the Galaxy Tab 10.1. That along with the 299 price tag of the ACER, I am very happy with my decision.( I can by a lot of memory for the 200.00 that I saved :D )