Help- phone stopped accepting fingerprint

N246

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
My S7 has stopped accepting fingerprint. This happens to all of us at some point the phone won't unlock for whatever reason, the message comes up saying try again in 30 secs then it works. This is not the case I've kept trying and each time the waiting time increases and the phone won't unlock. I'm currently waiting for 60 mins to be up so I can try again. I tried turning the phone off and on again I used my pattern when the phone had restarted by the wait time was still there. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the phone to unlock once the time is up. I have both my thumbprints on it but so far they hasn't worked.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with amyf27. It should also be asking you for your backup PIN/password any time you do a cold boot (i.e., power up from a powered off state). It would be unusual if this weren't happening.

N246

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
I had the fingerprint and pattern method set up but I could not remember the pattern I used to set this up. Therefore I could not get into the phone. Apologies if this was unclear in my initial post. I eventually remembered it and got into my phone, I have the pattern method in use now but I will also reset my fingerprints.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had the fingerprint and pattern method set up but I could not remember the pattern I used to set this up. Therefore I could not get into the phone. Apologies if this was unclear in my initial post. I eventually remembered it and got into my phone, I have the pattern method in use now but I will also reset my fingerprints.
Ohhh ok. Maybe try a pin number-may be easier to remember than a pattern

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok -- so are you saying that you can unlock the phone with your pattern, but it won't recognize your fingerprint, and it won't let your delete your current fingerprints and add them back?

N246

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
No basically it wouldn't recognise my fingerprint, the waiting time kept increasing. I switched the phone off and on again so was prompted to use the pattern as you have to do when they phone has restarted but I couldn't remember the pattern I set up. Anyway I remembered it eventually and gained access to the phone. Again apologies if I was unclear & thanks for the help everyone. :)