Hi-Fi DAC Headphones

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Anybody get some headphones that can take advantage of the Hi-Fi DAC feature? Looking for some that don't cost too much. Or can all headphones take advantage of this feature?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Go with Bose. Im still using the incredible bose qc-3 that ive had for 10 years. Not only are they the best at noise cancellation, but sonically number 1. Built to last also. I don't work for bose, but I am a professional musician and bose is the name most musicians gi with. If you want earbuds, try klipsch. They're under a hundred bucks, and sound incredible.

Posted via Android Central App

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Go with Bose. Im still using the incredible bose qc-3 that ive had for 10 years. Not only are they the best at noise cancellation, but sonically number 1. Built to last also. I don't work for bose, but I am a professional musician and bose is the name most musicians gi with. If you want earbuds, try klipsch. They're under a hundred bucks, and sound incredible.

Posted via Android Central App

I too am a hobbyist musician and lover of music. I think your recommendation of Klipsch is spot on. I also agree with Bose being best in class for noise cancelling. In terms of sound quality I find the Bose to be a little muddy in the mid range and use them primarily when I'm flying. For "critical" listening I prefer a good pair of Sennheisers or Bowers & Wilkins myself.

That's the thing about sound though, very subjective. My son loves Beats......I don't get it. I suggest you go to a place where you can listen to a few options, something will stand out for you.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Klipsch S4, S4a or S4i buds are great for the price!

Just an FYI for those unfamiliar with Klipsch:

S4 = No in-line remote
S4a = Android compatible in-line remote
S4i = iPhone compatible in-line remote

Make sure you get the right model if you go this route.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Sony MDR-1ABT's last week and was wondering about getting the V10 to use with these amazing cans. Too bad the dac doesn't work over bluetooth. I'm looking at a Sony player (or phone) so I can take advantage of their LDAC codec for bluetooth. Been hearing good things about it over on head-fi and being noticeably better than aptX.

mbryanr

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI for those unfamiliar with Klipsch:

S4 = No in-line remote
S4a = Android compatible in-line remote
S4i = iPhone compatible in-line remote

Make sure you get the right model if you go this route.
I went and bought the S4a before researching further. Since the update to Lollipop, the in line remote is limited. May have saved myself a few bucks with just going for the S4. Also everyone sees that these have been updated to the R6m. Doesn't look like any major changes except the cable..

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
If your going to use iems than make sure to use one's that don't have an inline mic as that will disable the dac. I currently use a pair of sennheiser hd 700's and this phones runs them without a problem at all. Also to use the 32bit dac your headphones have to have an impedance of 50 ohms or higher or it will use the stock snapdragon dac which is garbage.

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
As long as your headphones have an impedance of 50 ohms or higher or that the ear buds don't have an inline mic. For some reason the mic disables the hifi dac.

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
My Samsung S5 ear buds with inline mic don't disable the DAC. But the button on them doesn't initiate a call, either. I just have volume control and that's it.

NeatoBandido

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a pair of V Moda M100's rated at 35Ohms and I can clearly tell when the DAC is on and off so dont understand this 50Ohm cutoff thing. Also use a inline mic with them and it does not interfere with them either

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
The DAC doesn't just activate for headphones over 50 ohms in my experience. I use it with RHA MA750's, which are rated at 16 ohms, and it activates and makes a clear difference. What is true is that the DAC makes a BIGGER difference for headphones over 50 ohms (like my Sennheiser HD 598's). It seems to detect them and activate a higher power output mode to drive them to their full potential. It doesn't seem to do this for lower impedance headphones, but that's by design since they require less power, and doesn't mean it isn't working with them at all

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I just tried my beats iems and it's true that the dac is being used now, before my lg didn't activate the dac. Lg must've updated something because before it was diffefent, I love this phone more and more everyday I use it. Tidal's lossless music is absolutely amazing when the dac is active. Before headphones below 50 ohms the phone would use the snapdragons dac. Now lg needs to update so all apps use the dac without an dac fix app.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
my faves...
Akg k701
Senn hd650
Senn hd558

All 3 sound outstanding with the power amp player. The high impedance amp circuit in this phone is really really good!

I also like my koss a250 with this phone... But you're not going to find that headphone anywhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick