Hi. I'm David. I switched to android, and wish I never did.

anon(767240)

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Like I want to make this clear to everyone... yes... Android offers 100x more functionality than iOS. BUT.... the whole 'smoothness' and 'reliability' factor of iOS just wins me over. I know I sound dumb as hell complaining about 'lag', but if a manufacturer pushes their product as TOP OF THE LINE and highlights the insane processor speeds, it shouldnt have lag. Android needs to figure out why their operating system continues to lack the smooth-factor that iOS has...

Ios smooth? Yeah but it lags too apps crash too. As much as it does on my HTC Butterfly.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk 2

Lisa Jenkins

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Like you, I have been an iPhone user for many years. I always refer to it as "the dummies smartphone" because it is so simple to use. However, I have had so many issues with EVERY iPhone I have ever had. The cloud is horrible and as we have 4 ipads and 3 iphones in our home, everyone's information was continually jumbled. I have had various other issues.... for example.... my 4 would put my active call on hold and randomly call a random contact without me knowing it until it started ringing.... my 4s was just horrible...... I turned Siri off simply bc it never worked properly... however, my voice control would randomly take voice command while being stored in my purse with the lock screen on.... needless to say I needed a change. I still have my iPad to use the Apple features I do enjoy. I just upgraded to the GS4 yesterday and I am OVERWHELMED to say the least. IMO, android can not be worse than ios. That's enough encouragement for me. Good luck with your decision.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
There's nothing intuitive about a Blackberry. You just learned it before Android, so it's how you "think", and what you compare to. I did the reverse: went from PalmOS to Android, then got a client issued BB. I hated it. Nothing worked "right." Nothing was intuitive. But I figured it out, just like I figured out PalmOS and Android before that. Even iOS requires a learning curve if you're used to something like Android or Windows.

This times 1 million.Especially the bolded part.

I went from Win Mo to Android....then tried an iPhone 4 a few years later. Guess which one was more intuitive for me after Win Mo....Android. I picked up Android waaaay faster than iOS. Many things were in similar place on Win Mo and Android. Little things like how iOS separated network features in the Settings areas.....Win Mo and Android network related things were in....... Wireless and Networks....

If I'm not mistaken or it hasnt changed...one or a few of the network and wireless features on iOS is in....General....

Now...which is more intuitive to you....having Blue Tooth, Wifi, Airplane Mode, mobile data features separated or all in the same section? Answer that and it will explain how you as an individual define intuitive.

I found iOS to be less intuitive than Android and the old Win Mo. I had to search online for where the blue tooth settings on iOS were. My kids mother thought she needed an app to use Blue tooth on iOS. Win Mo and Android just ....made sense. So iOS can have the just works mantra....I will take Android having the just makes sense mantra....

Its like the Windows vs Mac debates about which is more user friendly.... I took me playing around with Linux to get comfortable with OS X. Going straight from Windows to OS X was a steeper learning curve .....for me anyway. I also used DOS alot....that helped too when going to OS X. I used keyboard shortcuts alot at work.....that helped when going to OS X.

Lag, smoothness....its all debatable. I will say WP IMO has Android and iOS beat for both less lag and smoothness... But I still dont want a WP. I think the apps do look better in some cases on iOS....but I will rock on with Android til I cant anymore or it just get tired of using it.

To the OP.....if you miss iOS.....all I can say is go back. My kids mother used every Android phone I had, (6) even had her own.(3) ..and she still liked iOS , the iPhone more. Granted she liked my Motorola phones the best , then my Samsung. She despises HTC....too many issues. She had a Sprint Nexus S....and it was terrible. She used my Verizon G Nex....and loved it. So experiences can vary from phone to phone, manufacture to manufacture. Thats a curse and a blessing of Android.....many choices.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
your main complaint is about AT&T bloatware, how is this an Android issue?...

Because the fragmentation makes it hard for consumers to know what they are getting into, especially if they are new to the OS. Lack of consistency in UI across OEMs and carriers is an Android issue whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. I upgraded the GF's Galaxy SII (T-Mo variant) to JB 4.1.2 a couple weeks ago. It is nothing similar to what I experience on my Nexus 4. They look like completely different OS's in some ways... I love my Jelly Bean, she doesn't really care for hers. And she can't find the settings and features that are right to hand for me half so easily.

Lets look at it closer. Just with the S II there are at least 14 variations... Add in the carrierware on top of that. Why doesn't my GF's Galaxy S II behave like cousin Timmy's? Different carrier and that's why cousin Timmy is crying because he can't get JB. He's mad he is stuck on ICS and doesn't think that's fair. God forbid one of them should pick up an HTC or an LG. Even though it's Android at the same operating level - now everything is different again and if they switch carriers that multiplies the differences...

Yet they are all called Android.

That's an issue.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It'd be nice if one of the I/O schedulers would prioritize input much higher for that responsiveness feel.
Not gonna happen. This is because of a fundamental design choice on Google's part that now is so embedded in the OS, it couldn't be changed without redeveloping the OS from scratch.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yet they are all called Android.

That's an issue.

Yes, there are downsides to the fragmentation, but there are also upsides. How happy would you be if the only car you could buy was a Ford Taurus, with a choice of black or white paint? And once a year Ford gives you a new radio, and once a decade a new GPS that doesn't take you where you want to go. :) The "fragmentation" you speak of offers users a great many choices to buy the "car" that best suits you, and equip it with the options you want.

Apple says "You want leather interior? Sorry, we only offer 'Alcantara'." "You want a V8? Sorry, we know better than you do which engine you need."

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
U
Originally Posted by jneusch
I made my break from iPhone in 2011 and missed it so I went back. Last summer I came back to android and I am so happy I did. I love all the customization and features that Android offers. IOS is plain boring. I will never say never, but I can't ever see going back to an iPhone at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

i 110% AGREE with you... iOS is ******* BORING AS HELL. I'm shocked Apple is still on their high horse and chose to keep a operating system so bland. and yes, android is insanely customizable... but I think I still cant get over the fact that all these apps I use run 10x better on the iPhone... it boggles my mind.
I think you bought the wrong phone. There are only 2 phones I recommend to ex iphone users. 1. The Nexus 4. It has a simple interface and good build quality along with regular updates. 2. HTC One. It has excellent build quality which is similar to the iPhone, but it has a much cleaner launcher with Sense than Touchwiz. I personally have a nexus 4 but will be buying a HTC One for my wife who is coming from a blackberry. I think the S4 is still a fine phone for many people but there is something to be said for less bloat. HTC did it right with the One. Trade your S4 in and try the one or get a Nexus.

Also the one thing I always recommend for iPhone users to do is remove all they default crap from their home screens and start clean by adding essential apps. This allows you to get what you need right away and not be overwhelmed by all the extra junk. I honestly think that Samsung overplayed their hand on the S4 a little bit and added too many things that most people won't use. It adds confusion for the average non techie.

But for the advanced users they may really like the features and this is what makes Android so great. You have a lot of choices to make when picking an Android phone. With apple you really have one. So if you are tired of apple and to me it sounds like you are, then be patient and take the time to learn the vast options you have available to you. If you don't want to learn about your options and just want a basic phone that tells you what to do then a iphone or BlackBerry are probably better choices.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jusmebabe

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If you wipe your arse with tp everyday of your life then start using leaves its bound to be uncomfortable.
You gave it a shot and it didn't work out.
Get an Iphone and stick with your comfort zone :beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Allanb1985

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I can totally understand where u are coming but give it time to adjust. You don't need to jump straight in and start changing options in the endless menus. Take your time and learn your way about and you will wonder how you ever thought iOS was the way forward. As for the lag I don't agree. I have used a note 2 and S4 both with 2Gb of ram and they are seamless. I had an iPhone 4S before my galaxy note and galaxy s3. Since the transition I have never looked back. I was sick of how my iPhone was never really mine as Apple dictated how much personalisation and control I had. When I changed over to android I could not believe how endless the UI is. I have total control over my device and have it set up EXACTLY how I want it, unlike my iPhone where I could only in theory change my wallpaper. As far as I am concerned Apple need to get a grip and move with the times.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Recently, the S4 and the ONE came out. The specs, and hype, the marketing.... really intrigued me. I said, "You know what? **** it. I'll get an android. These phones are top notch, and they have more features than I know what to do with, I want to switch". For the past 2 years, I've been complaining that Apple is.... BORING.... LACKING INNOVATION.... EXCLUDING SIMPLE FEATURES.... ETC. Trust me, I am NOT a Apple fanboy. I complain PLENTY about how the iPhone should have specific features (as simple as A SCREEN BRIGHTNESS CHANGER WITHOUT HAVING TO GO INTO THE SETTINGS). Trust me, I know how it is guys... Finally, I made the switch.
That is Samsungs fault, I can sense you would be MUCH MUCH happier with a Nexus 4.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
UI think you bought the wrong phone. There are only 2 phones I recommend to ex iphone users. 1. The Nexus 4. It has a simple interface and good build quality along with regular updates. 2. HTC One. It has excellent build quality which is similar to the iPhone, but it has a much cleaner launcher with Sense than Touchwiz. I personally have a nexus 4 but will be buying a HTC One for my wife who is coming from a blackberry. I think the S4 is still a fine phone for many people but there is something to be said for less bloat. HTC did it right with the One. Trade your S4 in and try the one or get a Nexus.

Also the one thing I always recommend for iPhone users to do is remove all they default crap from their home screens and start clean by adding essential apps. This allows you to get what you need right away and not be overwhelmed by all the extra junk. I honestly think that Samsung overplayed their hand on the S4 a little bit and added too many things that most people won't use. It adds confusion for the average non techie.

But for the advanced users they may really like the features and this is what makes Android so great. You have a lot of choices to make when picking an Android phone. With apple you really have one. So if you are tired of apple and to me it sounds like you are, then be patient and take the time to learn the vast options you have available to you. If you don't want to learn about your options and just want a basic phone that tells you what to do then a iphone or BlackBerry are probably better choices.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Exactly what I was thinking! He got the wrong phone, I have a N4 and i5 as you know and I can never go to my i5 as my primary phone. I simply cannot.
Stock android is amazingly smooth(maybe a hiccup with 10 apps open) but overall the N4 is the best device for ex- iPhone users.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been waiting to write
this for a few days now, ..........I bought this S4..

...........There's the problem RIGHT THERE ^ ^ ^... U shoulda switched in 2012 & bought the SIII running Ice Cream.Sandwich :-!: _

Pick any Google Search term you want, but Jellybean update ruined the S3, quite frankly, Project Butter evidently while improving some handset performance, does NOT play nice with certain Samsung devices. On my Note 2 it ran flawlessly, but on many ppl's S3's including my own (Int'l AND U.S. Version, it killed the fluidity, speed and overall performance and brought back lag and stuttering with a vengence, just like is present in my S4...

I am loving my S4 for many reasons and do in fact feel it is a MAJOR upgrade from the S3. However, its nowhere as smooth, fast, and lag-free as SIII was BEFORE the Jellybean upgrade, and i don't care WHO disagrees with that. Some days it feels like its 2010 & i'm on my Vibrant running on 2.1 Eclair....

Samsung will never sell anywhere near the amount of units the S3 did, mainly because 4.2.2 is too buggy. And with the rate of how fast tech is moving, who knows when, if, and HOW they work those out....Like i read somewhere, they are prolly already putting there energy towards, "the next big thing"....

BTC

Last edited:

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
...........There's the problem RIGHT THERE ^ ^ ^... U shoulda switched in 2012 & bought the SIII running Ice Cream.Sandwich :-!: _

Pick any Google Search term you want, but Jellybean update ruined the S3, quite frankly, Project Butter evidently while improving some handset performance, does NOT play nice with certain Samsung devices. On my Note 2 it ran flawlessly, but on many ppl's S3's including my own (Int'l AND U.S. Version, it killed the fluidity, speed and overall performance and brought back lag and stuttering with a vengence, just like is present in my S4...

I am loving my S4 for many reasons and do in fact feel it is a MAJOR upgrade from the S3. However, its nowhere as smooth, fast, and lag-free as SIII was BEFORE the Jellybean upgrade, and i don't care WHO disagrees with that. Some days it feels like its 2010 & i'm on my Vibrant running on 2.1 Eclair....

Samsung will never sell anywhere near the amount of units the S3 did, mainly because 4.2.2 is too buggy. And with the rate of how fast tech is moving, who knows when, if, and HOW they work those out....Like i read somewhere, they are prolly already putting there energy towards, "the next big thing"....

BTC

Really? 4.2.2 fixed all the bugs I had also it was also faster.

But I have a N4:p

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I can totally understand where u are coming but give it time to adjust. You don't need to jump straight in and start changing options in the endless menus. Take your time and learn your way about and you will wonder how you ever thought iOS was the way forward. As for the lag I don't agree. I have used a note 2 and S4 both with 2Gb of ram and they are seamless. I had an iPhone 4S before my galaxy note and galaxy s3. Since the transition I have never looked back. I was sick of how my iPhone was never really mine as Apple dictated how much personalisation and control I had. When I changed over to android I could not believe how endless the UI is. I have total control over my device and have it set up EXACTLY how I want it, unlike my iPhone where I could only in theory change my wallpaper. As far as I am concerned Apple need to get a grip and move with the times.

iOS 7 is gonna be a major revamp.

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Pick any Google Search term you want, but Jellybean update ruined the S3, quite frankly, Project Butter evidently while improving some handset performance, does NOT play nice with certain Samsung devices. On my Note 2 it ran flawlessly, but on many ppl's S3's including my own (Int'l AND U.S. Version, it killed the fluidity, speed and overall performance and brought back lag and stuttering with a vengence, just like is present in my S4.
Jelly Bean works great on a Nexus. That proves the problem is with Touchwiz overlaid on top of Jelly Bean.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I complain PLENTY about how the iPhone should have specific features (as simple as A SCREEN BRIGHTNESS CHANGER WITHOUT HAVING TO GO INTO THE SETTINGS).

I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm unsure....
Download Power Toggles and Swiftkey for your keyboard. Watch the video on SwiftKey Flow. You'll decide everything else is worth it just for those two things. :)

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Download Power Toggles and Swiftkey for your keyboard. Watch the video on SwiftKey Flow. You'll decide everything else is worth it just for those two things. :)

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Or even the Swype Keyboard.

See the choices start piling up. :D

Sent from my Note II

CPmillenia94

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
SELL YOUR S4 AND GET A NEXUS 4 you will NOT regret it! Smooth as an iPhone i guarantee it! Even my 1+ yr old galaxy nexus is iPhone smooth and "just works".

S4 is giving android a terrible reputation with its crappy software..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear