Higher resolution is NOT always better

rumatt

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Particularly when the web browser isn't intelligent enough to deal with it properly.

Below is a screen shot of the same page in Chrome on the 2012 Nexus 7 (left) and the 2013 Nexus 7 (right). (I'm a new user thus can't seem to post outside links, sorry. Please copy paste that to your browser. And someone please link to the picture?)

9419672088_f5f14cc16e_b.jpg

The 2012 shows the font in a size that I can actually read. The 2013 shows a font so small the device is useless for me in portrait mode for this site. People are so excited about the new 7, but things like this affect usability for me a lot more than whether it's 20% faster. I also don't like the fact that the new 7 is longer and has sharper edges that feel more like they're stabbing you, but that's a separate topic.

I assume what is happening is that the device reports its resolution, and the web site uses it to determine the fame size. The 2013 nexus has 1200 pixels across so the site makes the frame nice and wide, which translates to tiny frigging characters. They may be nice and crisp, but they're still too damn small. This is NOT progress.

Is there any way to increase the font size in Chrome for pages like this? I mean without increasing the fonts on the whole device, and without pinching and zooming. I'm probably going to return my new 7 and buy a 2012 on discount if I can't figure out a way to make it do basic web surfing as well as it's predecessor.

grantlairdjr

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Particularly when the web browser isn't intelligent enough to deal with it properly.

Is there any way to increase the font size in Chrome for pages like this? I mean without increasing the fonts on the whole device, and without pinching and zooming. I'm probably going to return my new 7 and buy a 2012 on discount if I can't figure out a way to make it do basic web surfing as well as its predecessor.

Yes, you can double-tap on specific website via chrome and it will get little larger and do it again, it will go back to normal. Also, you can use two fingers to drag opposite ways and it will go much bigger like we have seen on TV commercial.

Hope it helps.

gwlj

rumatt

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you can double-tap on specific website via chrome and it will get little larger and do it again, it will go back to normal.

No that also zooms the width of the frame, causing text to go off the right side of the screen. I want to reflow the text.

Also, you can use two fingers to drag opposite ways and it will go much bigger like we have seen on TV commercial.

Not sure how that works but if it's like the first, it's not what I want.

Someone did point out that chrome has an accessibilty menue where you can increase the font size. Unfortunately it seems to affect some pages and fonts but not all, even when you check "Force enable zoom", so you end up with a strange mix of different fonts. Hrmph

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Go into Chrome settings select Accessibility and increase Text Scaling to something comfortable for you. You may also want to enable Force Enable Zoom.

That all being said, there are certain apps, where even with display set to Huge text, I'm having a problem with certain text being too tiny. Google may have to address this. Due to a problem with my first 2013 N7,I exchanged it for a new one, and waited a day to install the 2nd ota update. After the 2nd ota update installed, text got overall smaller. Not sure how many people even waited to install 2nd ota, so they're probably not aware.

I love the N7, and actually have (had) decent eyesight, but hope we can get additional options for increased text size.

Posted via Android Central App

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
No that also zooms the width of the frame, causing text to go off the right side of the screen. I want to reflow the text.

Not sure how that works but if it's like the first, it's not what I want.

Someone did point out that chrome has an accessibilty menue where you can increase the font size. Unfortunately it seems to affect some pages and fonts but not all, even when you check "Force enable zoom", so you end up with a strange mix of different fonts. Hrmph

Boat browser has a setting to wrap text when zoomed.
You might want to try that.

Also in the tablet settings is a setting to increase the size of all text on the tablet.

I believe it's under Display in the settings.

Sent from my M470BSA using AC Forums mobile app

rumatt

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Boat browser has a setting to wrap text when zoomed.
You might want to try that.

Also in the tablet settings is a setting to increase the size of all text on the tablet.

I believe it's under Display in the settings.

Sent from my M470BSA using AC Forums mobile app

I have now tried them all. They produce strange mixes of font sizes, or oddly wrapped text in weird frame sizes. I'm going to check the 2012 model one more time but I'll probably go that route.

The hardware is ahead of the software.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Below is a screen shot of the same page in Chrome on the 2012 Nexus 7 (left) and the 2013 Nexus 7 (right).

The 2012 shows the font in a size that I can actually read. The 2013 shows a font so small the device is useless for me in portrait mode for this site. People are so excited about the new 7, but things like this affect usability for me a lot more than whether it's 20% faster.

I assume what is happening is that the device reports its resolution, and the web site uses it to determine the fame size. I'm probably going to return my new 7 and buy a 2012 on discount if I can't figure out a way to make it do basic web surfing as well as it's predecessor.

Hey Rum,
I right with you.. I'm not 100% sold yet either.
I'm using my 14 day trial period to the MAX.. That's why I have Unlocked the device, Rooted it and Installed CyanogenMod & Kernels and Overclocked it.. I also have a 2nd Tablet to compare the Nex-7 2013 with.. The iPad Mini.. I am still finding myself picking up the Mini for a LOT of things that I'm doing... The 7 is fun to tinker with, if you know what you are doing.. AND NOT TO START AN APPLE vs ANDROID conversation.. The Mini just Works.. Perfect with everything.. So like I said I am using this next week to see if it's worth keeping or not.. if you are not 100% sure.. might I suggest you do the same.

rumatt

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey Rum,
I right with you.. I'm not 100% sold yet either.
I'm using my 14 day trial period to the MAX.. That's why I have Unlocked the device, Rooted it and Installed CyanogenMod & Kernels and Overclocked it.. I also have a 2nd Tablet to compare the Nex-7 2013 with.. The iPad Mini.. I am still finding myself picking up the Mini for a LOT of things that I'm doing... The 7 is fun to tinker with, if you know what you are doing.. AND NOT TO START AN APPLE vs ANDROID conversation.. The Mini just Works.. Perfect with everything.. So like I said I am using this next week to see if it's worth keeping or not.. if you are not 100% sure.. might I suggest you do the same.

Problem is... I hate apple software. I tried the iPhone 5 and just couldn't do it. I want a back button, thank you.

I'm seriously considering the 2012 nexus 7. At $150 for the 16gb it might be good enough to tide me over until something I actually want comes along.

So are you gonna help me unroot this phone before I return it or what? :)

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
do you wear glasses? if not, you should probably look at getting some. I'm looking at your screenshots on something like a 22 inch 126ppi screen, and they're about 1:1 with the nexus 7 in actual size, and I can still read the text on the right from 1-2ft away....and I don't have perfect vision myself. of course accessibility options should help somewhat, but if your eyes are that bad, you definitely need glasses in general -- or if you do have glasses already, you need a new prescription.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Problem is... I hate apple software. I tried the iPhone 5 and just couldn't do it. I want a back button, thank you.

I'm seriously considering the 2012 nexus 7. At $150 for the 16gb it might be good enough to tide me over until something I actually want comes along.

So are you gonna help me unroot this phone before I return it or what? :)

LOL!
I was not trying to sway you into the Apple Camp my Friend... :)
Sure.. If you decide to take it back P.M. Me.. I can walk you through it.. but if you got it from a Brick & Mortar... They don't give a ______t .. They don't know how to check for Root.. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, If you Jailbreak your iPad you have something faster and easier than a back button.. you can setup swipes all over the screen.. and just program it to do whatever depending on which direction and how many fingers you use and where you swipe on the screen.. it's pretty cool.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Try rotating in landscape then when you zoom in, all the text you care about will still be on the screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iseeyouo-o