Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

is there a single Moto fan that wouldn't have signed up for it being slightly below the S6/G4? I'm happy we're using it in the same sentence. always room for improvement, but sounds like Moto actually made some decent progress this year.

** and I'll leave out the whole, yeah but it's only $400 thing. reading Phil's review on the Moto G was so annoying, he finished every paragraph (mentioned the price 12x in that review ... not that I'm counting) reminding us it's a $200 smartphone, we get it!

You won't see me complaining about this camera. Is it perfect? Nah, of course not, but it's pretty damn great and a quantum leap over Motorola's previous offerings.

Moto X Style will face fierce competition here in the UK as the LG G4 is actually cheaper and the Galaxy S6 doesn't cost that much more. That being said, the Style offers so much besides just the camera, which easily levels the playing field.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Moto X Pure Positives and Negatives

So my POSITIVE thoughts on the device are:

Great screen – the LCD looks fantastic. I am coming from an s6 so I know about great screens and this one rocks. The only knock against it is the viewing angles aren’t great but that only rarely impacts my use.

Strong build – feels solid.

Great feel in hand – this is so important to long term satisfaction. It’s the smallest “big” device in terms of feel in hand. I have big hands and most of the time I can use it one handed.

Blazing fast – vanilla android. Faster than my S6 which was very fast. So smooth and sexy.

SD card – got my 64GB Class 10 for $18.

Motocare – so now I can go naked more often. Still careful cause I don’t want to lose my deductible or go through the hassle.

The camera is really good in many situations. There are about 10-15% of the time when it’s merely adequate (low light usually). It does a good job of capturing my kids who are constantly moving, providing the light is decent.

Front facing speakers – they are awesome. Awesome.

Moto app – I like the motion detection and notification stuff. I use voice activation more than I thought I would. Feels weird at first and then you give less and less of a *uck. I haven’t used the driving mode because it would take too long for any phone to detect fast movement and initiate actions. Haven’t had the device read text messages to me yet. I imagine that would bother me when I’m streaming music or a book while driving.
Battery life for me has been very good. It’s not a beast, but probably 40% better than my S6. Plus turbo charging negates battery life in many ways.

Motorola has a great rep for updating devices – that’s cool.

Negatives
Hardly any accessories. Heck, even basic screen protectors have limited availability. Cases have long waits and their aren’t many choices. I’ve order this one to pop on when I think I’ll need it. Should get it tomorrow. http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Unico...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4720634

The earpiece volume seems a little quiet when I’m on a call. Not sure what’s up with that. It hasn’t been so quiet that I can’t hear, yet. But I think in a bar or resturant it’d be hard to talk to someone.

So that’s it. I am very happy with my purchase and I’m coming from an S6 which is also a superb device. But the MXPE beats it in my opinion.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure Positives and Negatives

Nice summary - I too came from the S6, I must say I prefer everything on the Moto X compared to the S6. I prefer the larger size, better battery, better grip and feel in the hand, leather, front facing speakers and stock Android. I do miss my double tap on the home screen to launch the camera, I feel daft twisting my hand to take a photo. People keep thinking I've got a twitch. And for the life of me I can't get the karate chop motion to work 100% of the time. I just gave up in the end :)

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Nice summary - I too came from the S6, I must say I prefer everything on the Moto X compared to the S6. I prefer the larger size, better battery, better grip and feel in the hand, leather, front facing speakers and stock Android. I do miss my double tap on the home screen to launch the camera, I feel daft twisting my hand to take a photo. People keep thinking I've got a twitch. And for the life of me I can't get the karate chop motion to work 100% of the time. I just gave up in the end :)

Perhaps I'm telling you something you already know but using Nova launcher you can program the double tap to do anything you want, including opening the camera app.

Posted via the Android Central App

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps I'm telling you something you already know but using Nova launcher you can program the double tap to do anything you want, including opening the camera app.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks for that info - tbh I haven't used Nova in a long time, will check that out tonight.