Hold back on Android updates?

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I am yet to order a Nexus 7, and meanwhile researching it and Android. What I saw are some issues that I believe are software problems, but some might as well be hardware problems.

It seems to me that those issues came up since 4.2, and 4.2.1 didn't really seem to fix more than one or two.

Is it better to wait a week or two before updating? I'm not even sure if I should update to 4.2 when I receive mine, even though some of its features are important to me. Yet, I feel like not even ordering it till 4.2.2 comes out and actually solves the problems that 4.2 brought up.

smartiekins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
There are ways going to be some people that don't get on with a new update/have issues. However, when researching, you are probably likely to get a biased view, as people who don't have any issues are less likely to log on and say so.

For me, I've had no problems since updating, bit enjoy the benefit of the newer version, in particular the ability for different users.

Being able to get the latest updates is one of the great advantages of a nexus product :)

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, some people do have the problems, and how is it possible that two unrooted devices have different outcomes? One has a Bluetooth problem, the other doesn't. That's impossible, since the hardware is identical, so such problems must appear on both or none of the devices. I understand that problems can happen with rooted devices, but even that seems very unlikely.

Could it be that the software update itself is faulty, and directly flashing the 4.2.1 image on the Nexus 7 to steer around that?

However, I have some more questions:

Have those "battery down to 0%, device won't boot even after long recharge" happened on 4.1(.1) already?

To smartiekins and ultrarunner (but also anybody else):

How is your battery life? Compared to 4.1?
Did Bluetooth crash? (if you even use it)
Do any random reboots occur? If so, how often?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, some people do have the problems, and how is it possible that two unrooted devices have different outcomes? One has a Bluetooth problem, the other doesn't. That's impossible, since the hardware is identical, so such problems must appear on both or none of the devices. I understand that problems can happen with rooted devices, but even that seems very unlikely.

Different devices have different apps installed so certainly some devices will experience problems others don't...

[edit]: And in terms of bluetooth, people have different devices they are trying to interact with so again, it is not a uniform environment...

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Are there apps that monitor which apps use how much off the CPU, GPU and RAM at what time, plus a history. Also wether they use Bluetooth, GPS, WiFi/3G?

Thing is, as soon as I get my tablet I want to update to 4.2.1, then configure it, install such monitoring apps and finally apps. That way I can figure out which apps cause problems, especially updater updates (Apps/OS).

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
No Os runs perfectly. Ever. Not even iOS can claim that.

When Jellybean came out (4.1) there were people saying they were issues that 4.0 had that hadn't been addressed in with the new OS. And there were no issues that cropped up. Something happened when 4.1 came out, and 4.1.1 and 4..1.2 as well. 4.2 and 4.2.1 where no exception.

I don't use bluetooth much. But, decided to test whether it worked with 4.2.1 properly as there were several people that noted issues with bluetooth when they updated to from 4.1.2 version.

I figured if anyone might have a good chance to have a problem it would be me with my old HTC Touch Pro 2 running windows 6.5 mobile OS.

I sent a file from it to my Nexus 7. It was slow (maybe because it's an older bluetooth version that is uses. But, file made it to me fine other than that.

Sent a file from Nexus 7 back to my HTC phone. Worked just fine too.

The only serious issue I have run into was the battery at 0% charge problem others have experienced. And I was able to resolve that a bit easier than others. Lesson learned, when it says to charge it, charge it.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't expect any OS to be perfect. As a software developer myself I know how hard it is to make a perfect piece of software. And while my projects are rather small, yet it is impossible to make everything bulletproof. And since Android is a way bigger software, it's even harder to make it perfect.

But: when 4.2.1 came out, People suddenly started complaining about the most random issues, and it sounds to me as if Google quickly released an update without testing it through.

I don't know how many of those problems are actually severe (happen alot, stop proper work) or only happen under certain circumstances that shouldn't occur, e.g. the battery problem). I have never experienced such issues with iOS.

So I'm hoping that those problems are just a result of Google trying to fix a problem by any means and are currently working on 4.2.2, fixing all the issues without making up new ones and actually test it throughly.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I am yet to order a Nexus 7, and meanwhile researching it and Android. What I saw are some issues that I believe are software problems, but some might as well be hardware problems.

It seems to me that those issues came up since 4.2, and 4.2.1 didn't really seem to fix more than one or two.

Is it better to wait a week or two before updating? I'm not even sure if I should update to 4.2 when I receive mine, even though some of its features are important to me. Yet, I feel like not even ordering it till 4.2.2 comes out and actually solves the problems that 4.2 brought up.
if you are going to wait for a perfect software will no bugs you will have to wait at least a million years. trust me. it holds true for any software.

to be fair, when 4.2.1 came out only people who have used the OS for long and updated it had issues. none of the new device who get updated on arrival had such issues.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That is what I said before: no software can be perfect, but to me it seems like 4.2.1 has obvious flaws. Or at least if, how you said, being on a long-used device.

So I guess I'll just update straight to 4.2.1 when I get mine. Probably gonna order on the 15th or 16th, hoping it will arrive before the year is over. Pretty darn time to order, but I still hope it won't take much more than a week :|

derwood5555

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess I was lucky. I got a N7 a week ago. Did one update, that went fine. Did the second update (4.1.2) and after the reboot, the touch screen no longer worked. Had to send it back.

Currently debating getting another N7. Not impressed with Google and how they handle returns, and this tablet.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It's exactly stuff like that that still keeps me from ordering it. But do you mean it just got slow? Or it wouldn't respond at all anymore? And how is that "lucky"?

About that, but either ways I wanted to know that: if something like that happens, or when I corrupt an important system file on a rooted device, is there a way to restore the device by connecting it to a computer and flash a factory image on it to make it usable again? Or at least a menu that offers me a factory reset?

I once destroyed a PSP with hacking stuff, and back then only a mod chip was able to restore it. With my iPhone I wasn't scared about hacking, cause I knew that if I screwed it up, iTunes would reset it for me and I would only lose data. Now I'd really like to do stuff like that on the Nexus too, but what are my emergency options?

derwood5555

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
the screen was non-responsive.. I couldn't even unlock the screen.. no touch on the screen worked.. And all I did was update to 4.1.2. Had the thing in my hand for 40 minutes before I got an RMA to send it back

"lucky" was sarcasm ;-)

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh, sarcasm :D okay, get it.

Have you tried a factory reset? I believe it only requires to press all three hardware buttons at the same time.

Well, I hope someone can still answer my last question from my last post.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I guess I was lucky. I got a N7 a week ago. Did one update, that went fine. Did the second update (4.1.2) and after the reboot, the touch screen no longer worked. Had to send it back.

Currently debating getting another N7. Not impressed with Google and how they handle returns, and this tablet.

I researched that issue on Google and found out that people actually had this kind of trouble, especially after playing games, but some just after a few minutes of moderate use. For most of them turning off the screen and turning it on again solved it temporarely. The 4.1.2 update fixed the problem then. "Funny" how the update that messed yours up fixed it for others. I also read about static causing weird behaviour on the touch screen, e.g. when plugged in it works flawless, but I also read of people who noticed those problems when plugged in. Seems like every Nexus 7 is acting different, or people just make those things up in their mind.

And back to the bluetooth issues: I think it's mostly headsets and keyboards that are affected, and not file transfer to other phones.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

It's really up to you. The latest OS generally includes some new features, but if you prefer to wait out new features in exchange for stability, then you can wait a couple of months on getting the latest OS. This is universal with any OS. Even iOS. 5.0 was extremely slow, 5.1 gave it back it's speed bump. Etc.

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I just keep it that with every 4.x and every x.x update I will hard reset my device and flash the complete ROM of the update instead of only updating. With smaller updates I'll just wait a week or two for what people say before updating.

Problem is: I will share my tablet with my wife, using separate accounts. How do I get her account back to how it was before (apps, app data, settings, wallpaper, etc) without her or me having to set up everything again?
As for me, a widget here and there, a handful apps, that's it. Maybe Ubuntu for Android, but that's a whole new pair of shoes.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just moved over from iOS and it did not run perfect for me on the other hand JB 4.2.1 does in fact run perfect for me. I don't know how anyone can make a blanket statement that no Os runs perfectly. I must admit I have not been trying to track down things like a buzz in the headphones that I have never noticed. It is possible that if I searched hard enough I could find something to complain about with JB 4.2.1. I love the flexibility JB 4.2.1 gives me on the Nexus 4 after using iOS. The main thing I did not like about iOS was waiting for a JB after each new system update.
BTW: Liked JB so much I now have a Nexus 7 Nexus 4 and ChromeBook

No Os runs perfectly. Ever. Not even iOS can claim that.

When Jellybean came out (4.1) there were people saying they were issues that 4.0 had that hadn't been addressed in with the new OS. And there were no issues that cropped up. Something happened when 4.1 came out, and 4.1.1 and 4..1.2 as well. 4.2 and 4.2.1 where no exception.

I don't use bluetooth much. But, decided to test whether it worked with 4.2.1 properly as there were several people that noted issues with bluetooth when they updated to from 4.1.2 version.

I figured if anyone might have a good chance to have a problem it would be me with my old HTC Touch Pro 2 running windows 6.5 mobile OS.

I sent a file from it to my Nexus 7. It was slow (maybe because it's an older bluetooth version that is uses. But, file made it to me fine other than that.

Sent a file from Nexus 7 back to my HTC phone. Worked just fine too.

The only serious issue I have run into was the battery at 0% charge problem others have experienced. And I was able to resolve that a bit easier than others. Lesson learned, when it says to charge it, charge it.