Hope to reduce ram usage?

oopsabi

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I notice that my ram on the 1week old note often running low or using nearly half of the ram. Ex 400-500/800mb. Even after I close every running app down, it'LL still refuse to go down below 400. May I know y? N how to fix it? Or can it be considered as normal?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
it does run high compared to other android phones i used.. it seems to lag sometimes.. hopefully they fix the memory managment in ICS

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
High memory usage is by design. Data is accessed faster when it is RAM so the more data in RAM the better. Data is swapped in and out of RAM as needed. You should look at the size active apps and services instead.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
when the ram gets higher it has a NOTICABLE lag.. way more than the S2 or skyrocket.. both of which i owned.. memory management is not as good on this device

Captian4Phones

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Samsungs TouchWiz is pretty RAM intensive. I love my Galaxy but at least you have 800mb. I only have 377. I think you can fix it with a custom ROM but I wouldnt get my hopes up.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The RAM still in use after closing apps is more than likely for system use. Drivers for the hardware, or system hooks for some apps can run without the ability to turn them off.

Examples could be software to run the touchscreen, radios, video and memory (kernel drivers). These are basically mandatory system tasks.

Similar to a computer, you always have tasks running in the background that take up RAM.

weetabm

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Same question really. My 2wk old Galaxy SIII is running at 664mb of 780mb. Functionality and speed does not appear to be affected (for the moment) but should it be running so high? Iv accessed the Task Managrr and ensured all active apps were closed but this only brought it down by a few mb's. Previously my old Galaxy (original model) ran very slow & sluggish and dont want that to happen again with my new fone! Thanks

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If by task manager you are talking about long pressing the menu key until a list if apps appears, there is some speculation on the forums that that actually closes apps.

Some believe that is just a list of recently used apps. Swiping them away just removes them from that list instead of closing them properly.

Also, as far as I know, my GSIII has 2GB of ram, so more apps can run comfortably. I have only had to force close one app because it was behaving poorly. I accomplished that through settings\application management.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

MikeLepanto

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I notice that my ram on the 1week old note often running low or using nearly half of the ram. Ex 400-500/800mb. Even after I close every running app down, it'LL still refuse to go down below 400. May I know y? N how to fix it? Or can it be considered as normal?

Hey,
My 1 month old N7k was using 650-675mb (running 4.0 IceCreanSandwich) and I reset the phone, on the advice of from a member here...(thx btw) and that helped. I also went into Settings; >Developer Tools; >Limit Backround Processes; ● Limit 4. Noticed a difference there too. Curious to know if that helps you as well let us know.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Unlike our older desktops with windows, Linux and therefore, android are designed to use as much ram as possible. Idle ram is wasted ram. If you have concerns about the memory usage use the task manager on the phone and let it remove what it knows is ok.

For heavens sake don't use task killers, just use the task manger on the phone by holding down the home button.

Jose Aviles3

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Hope to reduce ram usage

Same question really. My 2wk old Galaxy SIII is running at 664mb of 780mb. Functionality and speed does not appear to be affected (for the moment) but should it be running so high? Iv accessed the Task Managrr and ensured all active apps were closed but this only brought it down by a few mb's. Previously my old Galaxy (original model) ran very slow & sluggish and dont want that to happen again with my new fone! Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish