Horrible battery on GS3 - phones dies every night! Help!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off LTE, WIFI, GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot. Toggle on as needed.
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum.
3. Sign out of Google Latitude, GTalk, G+, Google Now, and Messenger. Disable Location Reporting/History.
4. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, News, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.
5. Turn off keyboard haptic feedback.
6. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use dark wallpaper if possible.
7. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
8. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
9. Turn off vibrate for Emails.
10. Be careful of using too many live widgets.
11. Sync Exchange Emails 30 Days or less.
12. Do NOT use a Task Killer App.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Your problem sounds like mine... I would get 20-30% drops in charge after turning my phone back on! I eventually exchanged my GS3 for a new one after experiencing the same problem. I, too, was frustrated after following all the recommended steps I read on the forums, including using Juice Defender, etc...
With the same apps and settings on the new phone, it's performing as the old phone did the first week I got it. Bad phone? I don't think so...

The culprit?

I think it was my phone charger in the car... I bought this "universal high-speed" charger online, and it used to make the battery run very hot when charging.

The very helpful sales representative that exchanged my GS3 confirmed that there was likely something wrong with my battery... I think the charger damaged it somehow. I just ordered a Samsung branded charger that is "compatible" with the GS3, and have only been using the charger provided... I'm hoping that it was a faulty charger that I was using in the car. Incidentally, I won't be using that charger anymore!

Hope this helps someone out there!

this is why i only buy OEM chargers. either carrier or phone manufacturer.

mr_magnifico

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Turn off your NFC! I found that leaving NFC and the S-Beam off gives the galaxy s3 superb battery life. Turn off navigation also. Turn these features on only when you're going to use it.

gta50419

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you joking? The battery is not likely to be the problem. I'd bet money on a hungry app. At the very least, some diagnostic work is in order first.

Are you also joking? I am NOT rooted, have data, Wi-Fi, and all 3 GPS services on 24/7 and I can easily get through an entire day! Check your apps.

Most people don't realize that free apps are some of the biggest battery munchers due to poor coding and ads.

My phone suddenly started dying very quickly. It turns out that the Google+ update was at fault. I uninstalled the update and the battery life returned to normal.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

How do you "check your apps"? because if you talking about app manager i did that. I have wifi, location turned off & display turn half way down and it still drains at night/when idle. This just extremely disappointing coming from an 2 year old used to hell iphone 4 that used to last a whole day in a half without charging easily with normal use (2 days if didn't played games/using apps)..

even if i don't use the s3 much that day, I still have to charge it at the end of the day.

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Ha! I'm a mom who is a geek and a mom to geeks,

when my drunken seed finaly manages to produce a baby, i hope it inherits my geekyness instead of its mums barbieness lol.
i have a cool geek nephew who at 5y/o left a glass of whisky out at xmas for santa so he could clone him from his DNA (long before big bang theory was even aired over here) :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Update - I did a factory reset of the phone. This time I didn't bother disabling any of the AT&T bloatware apps. I installed all my apps back except Juice Defender. I wanted to keep the phone as stock as possible and didn't want any apps changing any settings, so I didn't bother with JD.

I've to say the battery life has been great since the reset. The phone lasted almost two days on a single charge! Granted I didn't use the phone much during these two days, but it is still pretty good. I am just happy that I have a phone that didn't die over night thus taking my morning alarm with it.

I will continue to monitor over the next few days and see if this battery performance lasts. If not, the phone is going back to AT&T.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
can you try disabling the bloat again to factor out that as the cause mate.
id like to see someone like Jerry from the podcast do an article on these juice defender type apps on modern phones... seems like JD was doin somethin bad in deep sleep..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it does matter, you should change them to 1 hr.... One app can cause your battery to deplete very quickly if it's syncing too often

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

How do you change the frequency of the syncing? ?

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Turn off your NFC! I found that leaving NFC and the S-Beam off gives the galaxy s3 superb battery life. Turn off navigation also. Turn these features on only when you're going to use it.

I never use these features so they remain off...but battery life still sux! !

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Your problem sounds like mine... I would get 20-30% drops in charge after turning my phone back on! I eventually exchanged my GS3 for a new one after experiencing the same problem. I, too, was frustrated after following all the recommended steps I read on the forums, including using Juice Defender, etc...
With the same apps and settings on the new phone, it's performing as the old phone did the first week I got it. Bad phone? I don't think so...

The culprit?

I think it was my phone charger in the car... I bought this "universal high-speed" charger online, and it used to make the battery run very hot when charging.

The very helpful sales representative that exchanged my GS3 confirmed that there was likely something wrong with my battery... I think the charger damaged it somehow. I just ordered a Samsung branded charger that is "compatible" with the GS3, and have only been using the charger provided... I'm hoping that it was a faulty charger that I was using in the car. Incidentally, I won't be using that charger anymore!

Hope this helps someone out there!

Now I couod be wrong, but I've heard to never use those el cheapo aftermarket external chargers because they could charge at a different level and fry your battery. And they don't always output what it says they do because they are so cheap. I've always gone with the manufacturer's chargers and never had a problem:thumbup:

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Should I be concerned? I'm not liking this battery life. Didn't last me all day. My iphone gave me about 3 more hours than this! I used it moderately...
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360033041687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360033041687.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 16

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Should I be concerned? I'm not liking this battery life. Didn't last me all day. My iphone gave me about 3 more hours than this! I used it moderately...
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Thsts not a fair comparis. Your iPhone didn't have true multitasking (apps saved in state is not true multitasking). An Android leaves proceeds like facebook running in the backend and other apps that use the radio. How many days have you had the phone? Is this indicidive of every day? Battery life varies widely from day to day. If you're not happy with it consider an extended life battery. You can also see what other apps are running that consume radio.